Tarot of Musterberg

martykens

On Monday the Tarot of Musterberg arrived. However, I wanted a few days to familiarize myself with it before getting back to all of you.
Before I get into my review though, I just want to say that my respect for Curio & Co. has increased manifold- every aspect of their business- from their website to their products, have all been produced with a tremendous amount of thought, enthusiasm, and skill. My experience from start to finish has been nothing short of wonderful. That said- let's get down to the nitty gritty:
1. The Packaging: The deck comes in a decently sturdy tuck box with a soft, velvety paper texture similar to Llewelyn's new paperback book covers. The back of the box I received featured the High Priestess card, but according to the website anyone ordering this deck might receive one of four designs: The Fool, The Siren, The High Priestess, or the Ten of Coins. If you have a preference it can be requested.
The top of the box is sealed with a red Curio & Co. sticker, with a secret message underneath the top flap. I won't spoil it for you!

2. The Cards: Size wise, they're shorter and thinner then a standard tarot card. Bluefeet mentioned that the card stock felt like a mixture between an il Meneghello deck and the Wild Unknown and I second this. The only thing I'd add is that this deck when all stacked together is rather thick- reminiscent of the width and weight of the Circo Tarot.
I could go on for days about the cards, for they are a thing of beauty: from the simple color palate, to the expressive posturing of it's figures- this deck just knocks it out of the park for me. The artist Cesare Asaro has an incredible eye for detail. For instance, the cards have a broken-in, "distressed" look to them which is expressed in small, familiarly placed scuff marks on the fronts (and backs!) of each individual card. This effect is particularly striking when the cards are fanned out, it's worn in pattern perfectly mirroring my much adored, scuffed, loved-to-death Daniloff.
As far as shuffling goes, this deck has an interesting quirk. On a simple, vertical shuffle the cards are quite stiff, with very little give; but when turned horizontally they are soft, flexible, and incredibly smooth.
3. The LWB: The Tarot of Musterberg is accompanied by a delightful 62 page guidebook which contains both definitions for card readings as well as instructions for "playing" the game of Tarot, which has popularity still I believe in some parts of Europe. The text contained within the LWB is both humorous, and surprisingly excellent. I found myself agreeing with his card meanings more often then not. For example- here's what Cesare has to say about The Wheel (Wheel of a Fortune): "There's a lot to this card, but it's the luckiest one in the deck- so take your time. This card represents the wheel of life, steering our destinies through rough seas and into safe ports. The figure at the helm symbolizes the possibility for each of us to direct our own fate and the seven wavy lines in the upper right represent the seven seas, indicating the boundlessness of the journey. The figure has the head of a sphinx, representing the riddle of life, as well as the talons of an eagle, symbolizing the temerity we need to cut our own paths. Below the figure's legs can be seen the images of a lion, bull, eagle and a bat, representing courage, strength, nobility, and the truth to see through illusion-virtues which help secure success. The center of the wheel shows a struggle between two figures from Ancient Egypt: Anubis, the jackal-headed protector of souls, and the serpent of chaos, Apep. In this card, Anubis has Apep by the tongue, signifying that the forces of chaos will be silenced.
In Short: You're in charge of your own destiny. Keep a weather eye on the horizon, and sail where you will."

Personal conclusion- I love this deck- and I've already done some phenomenal readings with it. I know the shipping cost is high, but I assure you, this deck is truly something extraordinary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluefeet

On Monday the Tarot of Musterberg arrived. However, I wanted a few days to familiarize myself with it before getting back to all of you.
Before I get into my review though, I just want to say that my respect for Curio & Co. has increased manifold- every aspect of their business- from their website to their products, have all been produced with a tremendous amount of thought, enthusiasm, and skill. My experience from start to finish has been nothing short of wonderful. That said- let's get down to the nitty gritty:
1. The Packaging: The deck comes in a decently sturdy tuck box with a soft, velvety paper texture similar to Llewelyn's new paperback book covers. The back of the box I received featured the High Priestess card, but according to the website anyone ordering this deck might receive one of four designs: The Fool, The Siren, The High Priestess, or the Ten of Coins. If you have a preference it can be requested.
The top of the box is sealed with a red Curio & Co. sticker, with a secret message underneath the top flap. I won't spoil it for you!

2. The Cards: Size wise, they're shorter and thinner then a standard tarot card. Bluefeet mentioned that the card stock felt like a mixture between an il Meneghello deck and the Wild Unknown and I second this. The only thing I'd add is that this deck when all stacked together is rather thick- reminiscent of the width and weight of the Circo Tarot.
I could go on for days about the cards, for they are a thing of beauty: from the simple color palate, to the expressive posturing of it's figures- this deck just knocks it out of the park for me. The artist Cesare Asaro has an incredible eye for detail. For instance, the cards have a broken-in, "distressed" look to them which is expressed in small, familiarly placed scuff marks on the fronts (and backs!) of each individual card. This effect is particularly striking when the cards are fanned out, it's worn in pattern perfectly mirroring my much adored, scuffed, loved-to-death Daniloff.
As far as shuffling goes, this deck has an interesting quirk. On a simple, vertical shuffle the cards are quite stiff, with very little give; but when turned horizontally they are soft, flexible, and incredibly smooth.
3. The LWB: The Tarot of Musterberg is accompanied by a delightful 62 page guidebook which contains both definitions for card readings as well as instructions for "playing" the game of Tarot, which has popularity still I believe in some parts of Europe. The text contained within the LWB is both humorous, and surprisingly excellent. I found myself agreeing with his card meanings more often then not. For example- here's what Cesare has to say about The Wheel (Wheel of a Fortune): "There's a lot to this card, but it's the luckiest one in the deck- so take your time. This card represents the wheel of life, steering our destinies through rough seas and into safe ports. The figure at the helm symbolizes the possibility for each of us to direct our own fate and the seven wavy lines in the upper right represent the seven seas, indicating the boundlessness of the journey. The figure has the head of a sphinx, representing the riddle of life, as well as the talons of an eagle, symbolizing the temerity we need to cut our own paths. Below the figure's legs can be seen the images of a lion, bull, eagle and a bat, representing courage, strength, nobility, and the truth to see through illusion-virtues which help secure success. The center of the wheel shows a struggle between two figures from Ancient Egypt: Anubis, the jackal-headed protector of souls, and the serpent of chaos, Apep. In this card, Anubis has Apep by the tongue, signifying that the forces of chaos will be silenced.
In Short: You're in charge of your own destiny. Keep a weather eye on the horizon, and sail where you will."

Personal conclusion- I love this deck- and I've already done some phenomenal readings with it. I know the shipping cost is high, but I assure you, this deck is truly something extraordinary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful review, martykens! Bravo!

aquestionmark

If anyone in the US is interested in ordering a deck, I am putting together a group order in the trading section to save on shipping..

aquestionmark

I'm keeping the group order open for 24 hours and then I will be placing the order. If you live in the US and are interested, please head over the the trading section and post.

It's a good way to save on shipping :)

aquestionmark

To me, the Musterberg is destined to be a highly sought after deck in the future. It is unlike anything in print. I think it will age well. This deck is full of life. I love the size of the cards and the extra siren card!

If this deck interests you, do not hesitate, pick it up.. I regret not picking up a few extra copies..

martykens

I'm keeping the group order open for 24 hours and then I will be placing the order. If you live in the US and are interested, please head over the the trading section and post.

It's a good way to save on shipping :)

I'm so happy this deck has found another fan! It truly has a quirky beauty like no other.
The Tarot of Musterberg has become a favorite, and I'm tempted to snag a backup as well [emoji4]