Going cold turkey

Abrac

You said it, focus on and appreciate what you have. That's the key to so many things. Doesn't mean you might not find yourself wanting a new deck now and again, but it'll be on your terms, not your ego's. :)

Falcor

Well, I am choosing my decks very carefully(usually) and trying to give myself some time to cool off AND THEN to check if I still want it. Sometimes I know I need this or that deck for certain means(like shadow work or therapeutic work).

But still I am not jumping on any new deck, it seems I prefer the old ones.

And I think this after an year plus at AT forums I have a very reasonable amount of decks in comparison to some other members =P

SunChariot

Has any one ever not brought any tarot decks for a whole year?, but just focused on and appreciated the ones they own.

I've got my self short on money twice now for over buying, I don't regret it.

If you've done it, how have you? Any words of wisdom?

I want to start using my intuition more, and find decks that want me and have a history with them that way you know.

With new decks coming out I desire it might be difficult, I wonder if I can create a reward system and build it up bit by bit.

So if I go one month straight 1 deck purchase.

Or something like that to give me inventive.

I just got 2 new decks a couple of weeks ago. Before that I was about 2 1/2 years since buying the last one.

I just stopped becasue it was not adding anything to my life to buy more. And the logic of it sunk in. I have 120 decks. I am not a collector and I USE all my decks. I like a variety because each answers differently. But when I got up over 115 decks, I realized that nay new decks were not adding anything to my collection and the quanity of decks I already had were sufficient to give the answer in a large enough number of ways that new decks served no purpose.

Babs

Awkward.turtle91

I will get on to everyone by Monday evening/early Tuesday morning.

I've had a hectic weekend at work/week :). Feed back is coming soon. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zephyros

I will get on to everyone by Monday evening/early Tuesday morning.

I've had a hectic weekend at work/week :). Feed back is coming soon. X

I don't know if this is what you meant, but the rules about giving everyone feedback apply only to the reading forums, exchanges and whenever interpretations are requested. So no pressure about answering everyone. :)

euripides

And I think this after an year plus at AT forums I have a very reasonable amount of decks in comparison to some other members =P

Lol yep I think I could buy a deck a month and still feel moderate if I compared....
There's nothing like a forum to make you feel better about your purchasing habits. I'm on a Planner group where I swear people are buying new planners on a weekly basis - and how many can you actually use? (I still have unused Moleskine notebooks from about 6 years ago...)

I think you have to objectively consider your budget, how much you feel it is reasonable to spend on a hobby, and work from there. If you can afford it and it makes you happy, why restrict yourself? If a purchase stresses your budget and causes problems, then it's not worth the pain. Setting a budget is the most important first step.

Awkward.turtle91

Cold turkey? Not a chance. I've just been my usual "warmed-over turkey" and have held myself to less than half-a-dozen decks a year.

Warmed turkey [emoji23][emoji23],

I like the less then half a dozen decks a year. I tend to go over that mind. I might stick with a set amount per year.

Awkward.turtle91

Yes.

I don't see any value in most Tarot decks. Often Tarot is just a platform for artists to sell their work.

That's a good attitude.

You should not need to limit yourself in that way. Probably you have had experience with other new decks that have not been worth the expense. Just wait awhile until the new deck hype dies down, and then see if you still want it.

I like the last bit, try to control the impulse buys. That's actually common sense to me. :)

page of ghosts

I haven't gone cold turkey, but I don't buy that many decks a year. Last year I think it was 6, the year before that a little more. My collection is not even 20 decks so I don't think it's a problem, yet ;)

What I do is I have a wishlist for tarot on my most used website for ordering books. That wishlist includes a lot of decks so in my bullet journal I have another list with the decks I've been looking at and thinking about buying again and again. So if I want a new deck I look at that one first. It can take very long from I look at a deck the first time to when I actually buy it, but at least it's not very impulsive by then.

soot

Have you ever tried asking your existing cards if you should get another deck? My current deck of cards rarely allowed me to buy a new deck (either very jealous, or very tuned in to my financial status). The one exception was when I needed a separate deck for reading time. Otherwise, every time I get tempted by decks that are way beyond my budget, it keeps screaming at me TEMPERANCE!

I love my deck. [emoji23]

Edit: Another bonus of asking your existing deck, is that when you get a new deck, it's like getting a new pet dog. Your two pet dogs will need to get along with one another while you're away at work etc so it's a good idea to make sure the newcomer have the approval of the oldies beforehand. Harmony is the key. (Just a quirck of mine)