Reversal as Returning to the Previous Card

Barleywine

Since we're on the subject of reversals today, I thought I would throw this one out for discussion. I've been reading Paul Fenton-Smith's Tarot Masterclass (which is thorough if a bit more "journeyman" than "master") in which he categorically asserts that a reversed card implies the need to revisit the experience of the previous card in the sequence since you may have missed something or taken a wrong turn that landed you in an unexpected dilemma.

This seems like a serviceable idea and one that I've occasionally applied in the past, but usually when there is an indication of directionality or "facing" in the card that points toward prior circumstances when reversed (normally to the left in the time sequence I use), often in the sense of "unfinished business.".

If you use this approach, what has your experience been?

Lee

I'm proud of myself because I actually remembered this thread from 12 years ago. :)

Barleywine

I'm proud of myself because I actually remembered this thread from 12 years ago. :)

Thanks, Lee! This is exactly what I was after. "Reversal is an eddy" is one I'm going to add to my "picture book" of reversed images. As a trout fisherman, I understand that an eddy is often where the food ("for thought," in this case) settle. By the way, I agree with your observation that "stepping back through" the court cards is a reasonable way to apply this idea. I still think, though, that I'm going to stick with the notion of "facing," since sometimes going forward to the next card rather than backward to the previous one is the only viable option. "Moving onward and upward" implies growth rather than "falling back," which suggests withdrawal from confronting the issue. However, my idea of reversal as a "detour" might well apply to this situation. To expand on the "river" analogy, the water will flow around a rock in the stream, momentarily diverted but not stymied.

Tanga

Thank you Barleywine and Lee!!

I just nearly cut the tip of my finger off and I'm feeling severely REVERSED!! Lol.
What's before the Ace of Wands?

Was so looking forward to a more participatory week of life, after absence due to illness and being immersed in other home drama - but now I've got this finger. Should have superglued it...
(recently attended a lovely elemental dignities talk and now I can throw in the reversals too for something more for me to get my teeth into!)

:) :heart: :heart: :heart:

Barleywine

Thank you Barleywine and Lee!!

I just nearly cut the tip of my finger off and I'm feeling severely REVERSED!! Lol.
What's before the Ace of Wands?

Was so looking forward to a more participatory week of life, after absence due to illness and being immersed in other home drama - but now I've got this finger. Should have superglued it...
(recently attended a lovely elemental dignities talk and now I can throw in the reversals too for something more for me to get my teeth into!)

:) :heart: :heart: :heart:

It must be going around. Two days ago I cut a pea-sized chunk of skin off the end of my thumb while chopping veggies with an extra-sharp paring knife. It's hard getting by with one thumb . . .

Regarding what's before an Ace, Fenton-Smith says it's the 10 of the same suit, but, since I see tarot as more broadly cyclical, I tend to back up into the 10 of the previous suit, which for Wands would be Pentacles.

Some will tell you just use EDs by themselves and forget reversals, but I see them both as having value: EDs modify the potency and purity of expression for the focus card, while reversal changes its "mode of delivery." One is quantitative (either more or less of the specific energy), the other is qualitative (skewed as opposed to straightforward).

AnemoneRosie

This is how I read reversals, and have for years.
Only, it's modified itself a bit. Look to the card before for the incomplete lesson that needs to be carried forward. Once that lesson is complete, the reversal will right itself, as that's where you are right now, fully and completely.

Barleywine

This is how I read reversals, and have for years.
Only, it's modified itself a bit. Look to the card before for the incomplete lesson that needs to be carried forward. Once that lesson is complete, the reversal will right itself, as that's where you are right now, fully and completely.

The difference being that you use the card before it in the spread, unlike Fenton-Smith, who uses the card before it in the same suit? I'm more inclined to do it your way, but I would still like to see "facing" to sharpen the focus.

Tanga

It must be going around. Two days ago I cut a pea-sized chunk of skin off the end of my thumb while chopping veggies with an extra-sharp paring knife. It's hard getting by with one thumb . . .

Huh. After bemoaning my lot to the rest of my Kung Fu club, someone suggested using a washing up glove finger secured with gaffa tape. I did just that and went off Kung Fu-ing.
But - I shan't be able to do beauty facials on Thursday... boo :(

Regarding what's before an Ace, Fenton-Smith says it's the 10 of the same suit, but, since I see tarot as more broadly cyclical, I tend to back up into the 10 of the previous suit, which for Wands would be Pentacles.

Some will tell you just use EDs by themselves and forget reversals, but I see them both as having value: EDs modify the potency and purity of expression for the focus card, while reversal changes its "mode of delivery." One is quantitative (either more or less of the specific energy), the other is qualitative (skewed as opposed to straightforward).

I like reversals.
My "previous suit" would be cups... interesting...

AnemoneRosie

The difference being that you use the card before it in the spread, unlike Fenton-Smith, who uses the card before it in the same suit? I'm more inclined to do it your way, but I would still like to see "facing" to sharpen the focus.

No. I mean the card before in the suit.
So if I draw the 7 of Swords, rx, then I read it as not having completed the lesson in the 6 of Swords, even if that 6 hasn't yet been drawn.

Barleywine

No. I mean the card before in the suit.
So if I draw the 7 of Swords, rx, then I read it as not having completed the lesson in the 6 of Swords, even if that 6 hasn't yet been drawn.

Got it. The same way Paul Fenton-Smith does it. I saw that not long ago between the 3 of Cups rx and the 2 of Cups. (I think you may have pointed it out.)