Veganism

Barleywine

There seems to be so many issues biologically! I think that's three or four now from this thread alone. Must be common. Another very common 'issue' is lactose intolerance. I actually think most people, everyone, is lactose intolerant and we have to build up a tolerance to it. Same as with beans haha. More tea vicar?

True about the lactose. Cow's milk is an unnatural food for babies, and there is an adjustment necessary. We didn't feed any to our kids, and they don't drink much now because they were never actively conditioned to it.

think

That is so weird; when I think of spiritual leaders most are vegetarian at least, if not vegan. Whom are you thinking of?

I am vegan for the same reasons as you. Less so for health, most importantly for the animals , to be sustainable and minimalistic, and for the environmentand. Also this is my expression of love and compassion to all beings.

I believe that all paths may lead to being vegan, because there are not one or two but a number of ways that can justify this sort of lifestyle (Most recently the German govt decided to ban meat at official functions to set an example!)

I also believe that if you live "closer to the land" meaning you hunt and kill your own meat then it is "fairer" to eat it than if you bought it off a supermarket shelf.

This way you are closer to the process and there are no euphemisms or fantasies in your head about how that meat made its way to you. Do you know what I am saying?

I also feel the same way about all food (that we must try to be part of some the cooking process at least) so you know what you are putting into your body.
Sure, I understand what you mean. I am guilty of eating rubbish. Sugary junk food, processed stuff. I try and avoid palm oil.

Well, Dharmic religions promote a vegetarian diet. But all include cheese and butter even if not eggs. I'm not 100% sure. I think only Jains are typically vegan. But don't they avoid eating even potatoes or anything that needs uprooting? Hinduism is most typical, and half of these are not even vegetarian.

Buddhism is not even vegetarian, some are and some aren't. E.g. in Sri Lanka buddhists are usually meat eating.

Abrahamic religions involve sacrifice (Islam) and also fasting, so presumably meat is part of the diet ordinarily.

As for leaders... erm, Jesus? Jehovah? Buddha? And the Dalai Lama (though is there discrepancy with that?)

That's interesting about Germany, I never knew it!

Tanga

The spirituality of food.
Such a minefield. Lol.

I don't believe our world would be at peace if we all ate vegan...
I think it's inherently human to find cause for war.

I do agree that the quality and awareness of what we eat - affects us, including all the chemicals that are now added - or unavoidably present anyway, because they're in the environment now, if not deliberately added to the production process somewhere.

If we all grew our own and killed and skinned our own (without much “fiddling”) - it might all be a different story. We might have a more rounded appreciation of our connection to all other things living on this planet. And our food might be more healthy and nutritious in quality.
But perhaps there are way too many of us on this planet now, for such a thing to be viable - greater numbers exploding (and of course the lure of profit margins) before all these concerns…

Presently - there is cruelty in almost every aspect of how we produce our food and clothing for a mass market.
It's really horribly sad. (stuffing and forced insemination, live plucking, shearing without care [Padma - you'd be horrified] - throwing the babies into the grinder to feed the other babies for slaughter, skinning alive and infront of everyone else who’s just about to be skinned or quartered, living out life in a wire care built around your body - to produce babies to be eaten… one could go on and on and on).

I am an omnivore.
I keep my consumption of meat low and in the 'organic' range (they have some semblance of a better life) or local produce. I function better with this quality of protein in my diet.
I have a large amount of food intolerance, including dairy and wheat (and by-the-way a "high sugar diet" can mean high proportion of carbohydrates, not just refined sugar - still can have some of the same effects in-the-long-run), additives, preservatives and pesticides,.
(I'm even intolerant to UVA - huh - sunlight! And as yet not a clearly identified skin problem). And - I can't eat honey - it's specific sugar component is just perfect... for making whatever bladder bugs lie dormant in my system - blossom with impunity. :) :)

Barleywine

The spirituality of food.
Such a minefield. Lol.

I don't believe our world would be at peace if we all ate vegan...
I think it's inherently human to find cause for war.

Yep, if nothing else we could always fight over "to-may-to" and "to-mah-to." Them's fightin' words. . . :joke:

Nemia

It's been a month since I switched to vegan - and I feel amazingly improved in health. Some problems that I just accepted as part of getting older simply disappeared. It seems that dairy products, much as I always loved them, didn't love me back.

I won't go back, I'm pretty sure. The whole family enjoys my vegan cooking. I'll be less strict in the future but for now, I don't eat fish, eggs, meat, dairy, honey, and also no grains or sugar. I follow Fuhrman's nutritarian plan, stage I, and have never felt better in the last 25 years.

I do cook also other things for the rest of the family, obviously. But I don't eat them :) Didn't even lick my fingers when I made a beautiful cheesecake.

Everybody's different and I won't preach to anyone else. But for me, nutritarian is an amazing way to eat and live.

AnemoneRosie

To answer your original question, think, the only people I know of who believe in the veganism equating to a shift of consciousness are new-agers like Doreen Virtue, and to a lesser extent New Age philosophers like Ekhart Tolle.

The older equivalent of that thought brings you to Buddhism (and other older religions like Hinduism) that don't eat meat due to the wheel nature of the world, where eating flesh means eating what's not meant to be eaten, in essence.

Dogs&Coffee

There is no such thing as a truly vegan lifestyle. The fields ploughed to grow food were once somebody's home, as were the trees used to build a house, the cities we live in stand upon once natural habitat, the oil and coal and dams and other things that power our society are destructively and forcibly extracted from the earth drastically altering natural landscape.... Our societys exist only because weve built them on the pillars of incomprehensible destruction, animals included.

I could go into this for hours, and probably alienate a few people in the process, but it boils down to how truly blind most people are to how utterly destructive society has become, how destructive we were to get here, and how our collective selfishness won't allow for a true renaissance.

But to answer your question, Veganism is less a shift in consciousness and more of a balm for the guilt of a modern lifestyle for those beginning to become aware of the human plight but who are still clinging to a shred of misguided hope. Unfortunately the irony of photographing a setan veggie burrito with a smartphone and tagging it #animalloverbekind is lost on the masses. If they only realized how many animals died in the production chain of said phone.... I can't even...

The only real reason to go vegan is for health reasons, but even then the evidence is suggestive at best. Most of the same problems veganism solves can be solved by cutting out processed foods and sugars, and sourcing your food (meat included) from farmers who avoid chemical solutions.