Cutting corners on my next deck?

I've been looking into getting a second deck but most of the ones that I really dig seem to have sharp corners and I've never really worked with a deck like that but it seems less functional (still, I could be entirely wrong). I know that people often trim corners with corner trimmers but are there advantages to not doing so or non-obvious dangers involved with doing so?

As a side bit, (and I imagine this is the case) but have any of you ordered Flornoy decks from tarot-history? I'm sure I'm over reacting but the ordering process seems slightly more complicated than I'd like. Is there any way to get these decks (to the US) that is more straight forward than what's on the webpage? If not, about how long does the ordering / shipping process take for these cards to get to the US?

page of ghosts

I'm a deck-trimming fiend and I always make sure to insert my card the exact same way into the corner rounder as mine don't cut the exact same way if you were to insert the card another way. Might be a little nit-picky but it's very important to me. They are not like very high quality tools so that might have to do with it (my dream corner punch would be the sunstar that has 3 sizes in 1). Not sure if I'm explaining this well though. And remember to test the punch so you know if it's the right size for your liking.

delinfrey

I think it depends on the deck. I was quite conscious about corner-punching my pocket Thoth, but I did it with 5mm punch, and I edged it in blood red - gorgeous and super great to use!

I have, however, kept square corners on my Original Rider-Waite and the accompanying Pixie's Astounding Lenormand. It gives it a historic flare and looks great as well.

I kept my trimmed Wildwood with square corners for almost a year, before I trimmed the corners as well - it's just better to use that way.

My trimmed Dreaming Way looks amazing with the rounded corners...

Lee

Regarding ordering from tarot-history.com, I have ordered a few times from them in the past and never had a problem. Basically, when you submit an order on their website, you're just telling them what you want. Roxanne will then send you an email with the total price including shipping, and you will also receive a PayPal email, and to complete the order all you have to do is click on the button in the PayPal email. You also have the option to simply not complete the PayPal transaction if you decide to change your mind about ordering.

So it's really not a complicated process. I just ordered the Flornoy Dodal 22-card deck from them and haven't received it yet. I don't remember how long it takes but I would think you should expect it to take around 10 days or so. I don't know of any other sites to order it from, you might want to try Googling.

Anise

I also ordered a Flornoy recently, my first actual Marseille deck. I was starting to get antsy because I didn't get a shipping notice. 9 days after I ordered, I asked Roxanne about it, and of course, that's the day it arrived :) East coast U.S. order. Anyway, if you get the full Dodal from them, it has very tightly rounded corners that you probably won't need to alter.

Beanfeasa

I also ordered a Flornoy recently, my first actual Marseille deck. I was starting to get antsy because I didn't get a shipping notice. 9 days after I ordered, I asked Roxanne about it, and of course, that's the day it arrived :) East coast U.S. order. Anyway, if you get the full Dodal from them, it has very tightly rounded corners that you probably won't need to alter.

The time I ordered from them all the emails went into my spam folder, I just got a Madenie 1709 from them in January, no problems whatsoever. Great guys, very professional

Anise

Oh agreed, I would buy from them again. They sent a whole bunch of Vieville Star and Sun postcards with my package, not sure if that was intentional, lol. And I did get an order confirmation email, but what I meant to say was, just because there is no shipping notice doesn't mean your order's not on its way.

I have the Sunstar 3 size punch mentioned and have almost always chosen the smallest punch. No dangers in my experience, even punching in a hurry and sometimes sloppily on my part, decks look better afterward. They're also easier to riffle and less likely to catch on things.

FLizarraga

Pointy corners can look cool and historic, but they can also be murder on your fingers.

I usually round the corners (with a 5mm or 3mm thingy, depending on how square I want them or how large the cards are), but occasionally I do keep them pointy and just file them gently with fine grit sandpaper, so they remain pointy to the eye but are gentle to my (oh so grateful) fingers.

Lee

I just ordered the Flornoy Dodal 22-card deck from them and haven't received it yet. I don't remember how long it takes but I would think you should expect it to take around 10 days or so.
I received it today, so it took 7 days to the U.S. southwest. Very happy with it too!

A michaels

trimming decks

I had never trimmed any of mine before until I bought the druidcraft deck and Anna K tarot, the druid craft had a beautiful border which was a shame to cut it as I like the uniqueness of each deck but they were very big cards which I don't like when it comes to shuffling and having room for spreads, so I bit the bullet and ordered a corner punch, the anna k had a black border which I didn't like and somehow detracted from the illustrations for me, the first punch I got was 5mm cutter and disappointingly was useless as it was too small to place a card into, so that day I ordered a 10mm, I have to say its perfect and leaves them very neat, at first I was thinking I had ruined my decks and was going to order replacements for them but when I got the 10mm corner trimmer it was perfect, my decks look lovely, and so much easier for shuffling.