Shedding light on the Jodorowsky Camoin Marseilles deck

stella01904

Kissa said:
Do you have other books (except for the comics :p) by Jodo?

I am very tempted...
MM ~ I don't have it yet, but a friend was telling my about Psicomagia (Psychomagic).
Jodo apparently spent many years with a Mexican healer.
You've all seen those Amazing Randi things where he shows how the healer is using sleight of hand to make it look like he is pulling something from the patient's abdomen.
Of course Randi is missing the whole point, as usual. "Seeing" a disease pulled out of your body has a very powerful psychological impact, and works along the same lines as visualization: it is not "fake" to your subconscious. Your subconscious doesn't know the difference! Jodo knows this.
I've got to get this book...!
BB, Stella

stella01904

Following up, I got it awhile back, in Spanish. I am very happy with it and it has been well worth the trouble of reading it in Spanish, looking up words, asking people!

We have this Waite-based idea here of how to interpret Tarot but who's to say this is correct? I personally never liked Waite's books. I like Pixie's art but the RWS feels like a kid's Tarot to me. And what's it got to do with TdM, anyway? Jodorowsky simply looks at the cards and lets them speak. Nine of Cups, for instance, is not a big fat wish card. It is a "final flowering" - see the drooping leaves on the bottom? Jodo's interps make more sense, both numerologically and visually.

Of course all ANY book is, is someone else's opinions. But if there's anything like a "right" approach, I think it's Jodo's.
BB, Stella

Fulgour

"El Topo" (The Holy Mountain)

1973 by Alejandro Jodorowsky

This amazing Jodorowsky film, follows El Topo with the subsequent funding and support from John Lennon and The Beatles! It contains some of the most astonishing images seen on film (Pamela Colman Smith drinking apple punch from the skull of A.E.Waite?) combining Christian iconography, Latin American history, futurism, mysticism, and political commentary. As if Fellini had a sinister twin working with his leftover film and props. Get ready for sensory overload!

A Christlike figure wanders through bizarre, grotesque scenarios filled with religious and sacrilegious imagery. He meets a mystical guide who introduces him to seven wealthy and powerful individuals, each representing a planet in the solar system. These seven, along with the protagonist, the guide and the guide's assistant, divest themselves of their worldly goods and form a group of nine who will seek out the Holy Mountain, in order to become immortal.

From "blurb" with additions... ;)

Jay Babcock talks with visionary comics author
Alexandro Jodorowsky
Thursday, January 1, 2004

Click on for INTERVIEW

JB: You are a tarot expert. Do you see a connection between
comics and the tarot?

AJ: Sure, because the tarot is the language of the German, or of the American, or of the Spanish. It is an optical language. A person might not be a magician, but you can still read the tarot, and you can learn to develop your gaze. With the tarot, you have drawings and words together, and you can read it. You know, some people like to play chess; others play cards.
I myself like to read the tarot. It’s fun for me to do.

stella01904

Fulgour said:
"El Topo" (The Holy Mountain)
(Thanks for the link, it's so good I loathe correcting this!) "El Topo" translates to "The Mole". "The Holy Mountain" is a newer film.

A link deserves a link:
http://www.subcin.com/
You'll have to scroll down and click. Vintage Jodo interviews and a plot outline of El Topo with pictures. :smoker:
BB, Stella

Fulgour

I'm moved...

Thanks, Stella :) As the great General Lee once said~
and with great effect: "Texans always move 'em!"

stella01904

Thanks...but I'm just happy I didn't kill the thread after all!

I'm watching my mail for Psicomagia....

Regards, Stella

EnriqueEnriquez

I’m resurrecting this thread just to say that Jodorowsky’s book is one of my favorite books in Tarot; and his Psicomagia, something that has been very influential in my own work.

Now, to fully appreciate Jodorowsky approach to tarot is vital, IMO, to understand that he considers tarot a psychological tool for self knowledge. He even says that tarot is a diagnosis tool. This is why he doesn’t read the future with it. In fact, he says that he doesn’t believes in the future. So, it is true that his approach to the meaning of the cards may be too metaphysical, but it is this way for that very reason.

Jodorowsky has three rules for his Tarot readings:

- He never charges money.

- He doesn’t sees the future.

- He doesn’t gives advice.

I had the opportunity to attend to a lecture about Tarot that Jodorowsky did here in New York, and I have also watched several of the interviews and lectures he has given, and can be found on the web. You can see the guy reading tarot in this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7043060055106539619&q=jodorowsky

Sadly for many here, it is in Spanish. The reading is towards the middle of the clip. If there is any interest I can translate it for you.

An interesting thing I noticed watching him alive is that he doesn’t uses the whole deck. Only the Majors and, I believe, the four Aces. All the readings I saw him doing where three card readings, where he read the three cards together as a sentence. The book is very rich in meanings and possibilities; but when he read the cards is understandably more direct. He has an extraordinary charisma, and a very strong impact on people.

Jodorowsky has a very strong way of approaching things. Either in film, comics, magic, Tarot, massages, etc... he studies a topic, develops his own thinking about it (and this usually implies discarding and dismissing most of what have been done in that specific field before him, so he gets a clear differentiation from the rest); he then renames the topic, and basically accomplish an appropriation of it. Tarot may be his most radiant example. He defined his own use for Tarot, discarded cartomancy and created “Tarology”, and he even redesigned the Marseilles, so, Tarot literally has his name on it.

So, even when it would be advisable to take all his writings with a pinch of salt, since after all this isn’t only a strong artistic way of approaching things, but also a very sound marketing strategy; I believe there is a lot to learn from him, since he is one of the greatest artist alive and the synthesis he has done of Eastern philosophies and Western psychology, is truly unique. In fact, I think he is the ultimate anti-terrorist.

Best,

Enrique Enriquez

stella01904

EnriqueEnriquez said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7043060055106539619&q=jodorowsky

Sadly for many here, it is in Spanish. The reading is towards the middle of the clip. If there is any interest I can translate it for you.
Translating text is one thing for me, transcribing and then translating spanish I have somehow misspelled and mismarked is quite another! I've been at this for some time, I'm stuck, and yes, I'm interested! (I think others are, too, but they are shy!) Just the reading part, I don't want to be a jerk, lol.
Thanks. :)
Stella

yaraluna

gracias por el video enrique.
yara