Tarot of the Holy Light Revisited...

ram

I recently got this deck and love it. I once shuffled the Wild Unknown deck and found it just as pleasant.

What I wanted to tell you is that the app that I have on iOS for Tarot of the Holy Light is quite comprehensive. I had had it for awhile and I've been using it with the physical deck and it works wonderfully.

MissChiff

I have both the application and the deck and they work well together. I also have the book.

Abrac

The astrological correspondences to trumps follow Etteilla. Kaplan's Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pg. 5 has a table that lists them. They're also in Christine's The Continental Tarots.

magicjack

I don't have the deck, but if you haven't seen it, Payne-Towler did an interview here at AT, and in part 2, she talks about what a Continental deck (like Holy Light) is, as she defines it. In the absence of her book that may give you a general sense of where she's coming from. (It's a 4 part interview, if you want to catch it all.)

Thank you very much for this. I am reading this now.

magicjack

There is a second volume of the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Foundations-...777130&sr=8-9&keywords=christine+payne-towler

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foundation...776430&sr=1-7&keywords=christine+payne-towler

Benebell Wen mentions it on her site:

https://benebellwen.com/2016/06/20/book-review-of-the-foundations-of-the-esoteric-traditions/

I would certainly have bought a copy, but by the the time I discovered it, it seemed to no longer be available. I think it goes into the background of the deck more.

Patrick

I was not aware of this volume. And your right it's not available. I do believe she is working on another volume so this was a surprise to me.

magicjack

This is a deck that I've always been drawn to but I was forewarned a long time ago that her astrological reconfiguration is so far off from my usual (that is to say, Golden Dawn) understanding that I'm not likely to accept it. Is it possible to appreciate this deck for its other symbolism without delving into its astrological side?

I personally think it's beautiful and that is probably how I will use it. But it's a little difficult for me not to pay attention to the astrology. I think if I just understood the logic behind it, it wouldn't bother me. Also, when the card is reversed, it has different correspondence s . It's hard to tell someone if they would enjoy it or not. There is a lot going on in just one card. All I can say is it's beautiful. I would suggest getting the Fools Dog app and then you can determine if you want the deck.. It gives the short version of the meanings from the LWB as well as a longer version from! the book.

magicjack

I have the deck and it is lovely.

Mostly I follow the alchemical symbolism which has always been a part of the deck since the Marseilles. I'm not big on the Astrology and Kabbalah layered on top. I think of that as a whole new modern system. The followers of this even fudged the cards to make it all fit (the numerical change between Justice and Strength). I'm not denigrating it, many people love it but I don't personally use it.

The cards have slightly changed meanings which you can take into account or just ignore. The companion book is helpful, but I believe it borrows heavily from C.C. Zain's The Sacred Tarot. Actually, I found Zain's book much clearer on the system then Towler's. Mainly because he explains the philosophy and symbol choices based on the esoteric systems used.

If you have reservations about the deck, I would advise not to buy it at this time. It's on the pricey side. I would do more research. Watch Sacred Seed's review on Youtube.
I have seen the review and now that I have the deck I'm going to watch it again.

Abrac

This looks like it has the potential to be an amazing deck, but it would've been better if she had gotten all her ducks in a row first, published one deck and one volume that explained everything. It's too confusing as it is with all the different versions and with all the typos and mistakes. It's a shame.

magicjack

The astrological correspondences to trumps follow Etteilla. Kaplan's Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pg. 5 has a table that lists them. They're also in Christine's The Continental Tarots.

OK this helps me understand where they are coming from.

magicjack

I recently got this deck and love it. I once shuffled the Wild Unknown deck and found it just as pleasant.

What I wanted to tell you is that the app that I have on iOS for Tarot of the Holy Light is quite comprehensive. I had had it for awhile and I've been using it with the physical deck and it works wonderfully.

I have been doing the same thing. I think the book might be overload because the app is very comprehensive.