Masculine (or gender-neutral) tarot decks

euripides

Not one person here has actually said how they define "masculine" and how it pertains to judging a Tarot deck. They just say they get a "masculine feel" from it, or from parts of it like the "tone of the artwork" and everyone just seems to agree without giving reasons. What does that mean?

I did actually query the OP regarding what they regard as masculine, but they didn't respond (as far as I can see, may have missed it).

We're basically going on convention, of course. Leather and brass tradition, or racing-cars and girls, pirates and vikings, whatever is the opposite of pink and soft and sweet and cute. (insert Judith Butler quote of your choosing).

G6

(insert Judith Butler quote of your choosing).

"We act as if that being of a man or that being of a woman is actually an internal reality or something that is simply true about us, a fact about us, but actually it's a phenomenon that is being produced all the time and reproduced all the time, so to say gender is performative is to say that nobody really is a gender from the start." - Judith Butler

Gwynydd

The Wildwood. You could read it with a rare steak :D

Gwynydd

LOL. I may have meant that for the 'guy' deck thread, in hindsight :D

Mittkait

Not one person here has actually said how they define "masculine" and how it pertains to judging a Tarot deck. They just say they get a "masculine feel" from it, or from parts of it like the "tone of the artwork" and everyone just seems to agree without giving reasons. What does that mean?

Well, I think we all have an instinctive feeling about what it means. But it is harder to put into words.

What is usually associated with the sacred male? The sacred male is willpower, action and controlled but very compassionate emotions.

So the color of decks that are balanced, not too feminine and not too masculine, are preferred. Pictorial depictions of the minors that are not passive are preferred. Also the message can't be wishy-washy, either or, but have definite clear answers.

Those are qualities that I think decks should have in order to communicate easily with men.