Why Tarot Readers Should Not Read Themselves

psychicforlovers

Professional tarot card readers know all so well not to read for themselves, especially when it comes to matters of the heart. This also applies to other areas in which the reader is passionate about. Like getting a new job or promotion, buying a house, passing a test or winning a legal case. The main reason for this is readers are human beings and they want to be happy like everyone else. If they see something in the cards that shows them something they are not ready to hear, the reader will try to change what they see by interpreting it to what they want to hear. On a daily basis professional readers experience denial when they are reading clients. Some clients are not ready to embrace what a reader sees, they decide to remain in the state of denial. The reader is experiencing the same denial that the clients experience when they are not willing to hear the truth. It is find for us to read the client who are in denial, because we are not personally invested. But when the readers are personally invested they will try to change what they see.
It is best not to read for yourself but if you do decide to do so, do not read when you are emotional. The reader’s perception of what is going on is mostly one sided and the reader is looking for a certain outcome that will make him or her feel better.
Years ago when I was a newbie I was in a serious relationship and I wanted to know why my boyfriend at the time was acting strange. When I laid the tarot cards out I kept getting the 7 of swords, which I knew clearly is the cheating card, but I would say “oh he is being a little sneaky”, but never I admitted to myself that he was cheating. The end result was he cheated, purchased a house and moved the woman in.
Novice readers who had read for themselves would try to change what they see by drawing another card believing this would clarify what seems to be confusing. The reader will keep drawing cards until they get the card they want.
Readers also keep asking the same question over and over again. They are compulsively, trying to get the answer to change, which I see as a form of pestering spirit. Whereby searching through the tarot books for different meanings in order to get the one they want. Whether you use a one card spread or a more complex spread like the Celtic Cross it does not matter. Spirit will answer your question, but it is up to you to interpret the message.
As a professional reader who have been reading for over 27 years, it is advisable to get another reader to read you. It can be a friend where you’ll exchange readings or it can be a paid professional. If it is important to you to get answers to your questions that are troubling you, then it should be important to get the right answer.

Here’s a YouTube video of a tarot reader doing a reading on her relationship and interpreting it from her point of view. https://youtu.be/1iRVjyaCjMQ

CharlotteK

I take your point as you are obviously speaking from experience, but I think it depends what you are asking about. I never ask about other people, even in relation to myself, or ask for predictions. So I'm definitely not looking for the 'right card' or an acceptable solution. I deal with whatever comes up honestly without trying to deceive myself as I'm reading for genuine insights and the kind of perspective the cards as a divinatory tool can give on a situation. It's not in my self interest to kid myself. If I couldn't read for myself I would read hardly at all and it would be incredibly slow learning. I may as well sell all my cards if that was the case. It's also a little bit of a generalisation I think to say novice readers keep drawing cards to get what they want to see. I'd class myself still a novice but I have never done that. I do a one card draw more often than not, a three card spread maybe once or at most twice a week, and I pull one clarifier maybe one in every twenty readings. I'd hope Tarot is a broad enough 'church' (for want of a better phrase) to cater for all kinds of reading styles and scenarios, including personal journey work, meditation and self reflection. :)

Starri Knytes

I cannot say that I agree with this either. I read the cards, the cards mean what they mean. I don't sugar coat anything for myself or my clients. There's no room for personal growth if one manipulates the cards. I'm not saying that no one does it, because clearly people do.
I'm just saying that I don't now nor have I ever.

After all what's the point of connecting with the divine if you are unwilling to accept the guidance or insight given.

Tanga

I haven't read through your whole post Psychicforlovers.
But - I can immediately say - that it depends on the reader.
In your case it doesn't work.
In my case it rarely works for me to read seriously for myself - I mostly use my cards for meditation, self-help or ritual.
But I know a number of readers who effectively read for themselves.

:)

gregory

I cannot say that I agree with this either. I read the cards, the cards mean what they mean. I don't sugar coat anything for myself or my clients. There's no room for personal growth if one manipulates the cards. I'm not saying that no one does it, because clearly people do.
I'm just saying that I don't now nor have I ever.
I don't choose to read for myself, but I absolutely do not believe that one "should not".

You might enjoy this thread.

Nemia

I think it's impossible to generalize. I have never had a problem reading for myself. I do so rarely but much of my tarot work is for myself - shadow work, meditation, affirmation, visualization and also reading.

One of my earliest tarot books was Tarot for Yourself which gave me the confidence to read for myself. I journal all my readings which helps too. I find it illuminating and it gives me an angle on my life that I wouldn't have otherwise.

I confess, I don't like "should" or "should not" sentences. So many of these sentences are limiting and lower our self confidence, our sense of choice.

I say: Tarot Readers should not generalize rules that may not be applicable in their specific case! ;-)

rwcarter

Professional tarot card readers know all so well not to read for themselves, especially when it comes to matters of the heart. This also applies to other areas in which the reader is passionate about.
Here is the crux of the problem and the key to the solution - one must be able to read dispassionately/objectively when reading for oneself in order to do it well. Much like learning to read tarot cards in the first place, learning to read for oneself is a skill that takes practice to master.

I agree that if one is the type who knows they're going to see what they want to see in the cards, then they should probably not read for themselves. But if a reader is aware of their bias in that direction and is willing to work around it, with practice they will be able to do so.

I can't think of a better analogy, so it's almost like you have to temporarily become a split personality - one personality is the reader who is detached from the situation and one is the querent who is directly involved in it. And if necessary, the reader personality needs to talk to the querent personality to get them to see the real message of the cards instead of the message the querent personality wants to see. Hopefully, you're alone at that point so no one thinks you're crazy.... ;)

Rodney

Starri Knytes

I don't choose to read for myself, but I absolutely do not believe that one "should not".

You might enjoy this thread.
Thank you for the link sweetie 💜
I will definitely check it out.

Beancrew49

The original poster is taking her personal experience and extrapolating it to include all of humanity. I think it's important to understand that every human being is unique and that just because you have experienced something that does not mean it applies to all of humanity. Some people are brutally honest with themselves and it's a shame to generalize the entire human race just because you're not.