Tarot as pandering to fiction?

almalibrarian01

I recently had a conversation with a guy and asked him his opinion on tarot. He said he doesn't like it because he thinks 'it panders to fiction'. How would you guys respond to this or defend tarot reading?

I think that tarot allows us to dialogue with our deepest selves and thoughts and inner processes. Many times in a reading I became aware of feelings and conflicts I wasn't even aware of prior to doing the reading. I find tarot to be a powerful psychological tool and one that puts me in touch with my deepest self.

What do you guys think about this?

DownUnderNZer

Some do live in fantasy worlds and on AT there is no exception from time to time in the exchanges themselves. Some have a hard time with reality or are holding onto an unrealistic hope or dream.

Both of you are right.

DND :)

Grizabella

I wouldn't try to defend it at all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of the cards and if that's his, then more power to him. :) I'd just allow for us to agree to disagree on that topic and turn to other interests we might share, if that's appropriate or we're determined to find some sort of common ground. :)

G6

It depends on the reader; some "pander to fiction" others like to "sting you with reality".

Beancrew49

I definitely would not try to defend Tarot. The best thing you can do is give that person a reading. People are more likely to believe their own experiences and if your reading is on point then maybe they might be willing to open up to something new. If not, oh well, you did all that you could.

gregory

I wouldn't try to defend it at all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of the cards and if that's his, then more power to him. :) I'd just allow for us to agree to disagree on that topic and turn to other interests we might share, if that's appropriate or we're determined to find some sort of common ground. :)
What she said. We don't all have to believe the same things. Nor would I give him a reading - unless he asked for one. He has every right to see it that way. I gather he wasn't trying to tell you to give up on it ?

G6

I think that tarot allows us to dialogue with our deepest selves and thoughts and inner processes. Many times in a reading I became aware of feelings and conflicts I wasn't even aware of prior to doing the reading. I find tarot to be a powerful psychological tool and one that puts me in touch with my deepest self.

What do you guys think about this?

This has been more experience because I practice tarot. Most people that have superficial ideas about it don't practice tarot. They are speaking from limited knowledge or none at all.

barefootlife

Yep, what they said. If people want to think tarot is a silly card game, let 'em. People gonna people, and what they think of it doesn't need to have anything to do with what you think of it, or vice versa.

almalibrarian01

game

Yep, what they said. If people want to think tarot is a silly card game, let 'em. People gonna people, and what they think of it doesn't need to have anything to do with what you think of it, or vice versa.

It's interesting to note that historically tarot was initially intended to be just that, a card game. I don't know the complete history of it but it sure seems like a hell of a lot more than a card game to me. There is something too all-encompassing and careful and deliberate about the cards and their meanings, and the way they interrelate in a reading, for it to simply be a game.

almalibrarian01

astrology

This has been more experience because I practice tarot. Most people that have superficial ideas about it don't practice tarot. They are speaking from limited knowledge or none at all.

Same with astrology and other "new age" arts. Those who debunk astrology are only debunking the sun sign predictions they read on the last page of a magazine. When you do a person's complete CHART, it's a totally different story. Likewise with tarot.

It is a shame people don't take the time to deeply explore things before casting judgments. I think sometimes people are so afraid of taking a leap of faith or looking foolish that they won't even give things a chance before dismissing it entirely.