Is using / studying tarot safe?

techn1k

Beautiful, thanks for that Nemia!

euripides

I agree with all that's been said about spirits and whatnot. They are just pieces of card. I see them as a window onto your inner life, and perhaps onto the world around you, just allowing you to see things a little differently.

The danger I see depends on how they are used; quite often people look hard for what they want to see, only accepting a reading if it agrees with them, and so reinforce their biases or narrow thinking, and I think that can be unhealthy. This happens a lot with romance readings - x must love me. of course they are thinking about me. me. me. me. me....

I also have issues with reading about others' feelings, thoughts and behaviours. I don't think we're generally privy to that information, nor do we have a right to be - we can only get a better view of what we might know if we were standing in a slightly improved position, or seeing more clearly - not what we would see if we were someone else. So I'm very wary of people analyzing someone's behavior via Tarot, I think it can be unhelpful, but it does depend on the reader. Many will disagree with me, of course, that's just my point of view and your mileage may differ!

Schmendrick

I feel like tarot is a collection of archetypes, and that offers us a window into our subconscious. I don't think there's anything spiritual about them, and I definitely think that studying them is safe.

Did you know that the modern deck of playing cards evolved out of tarot?

It's a fun way to learn more about yourself. I think it can be helpful when reading for others, as well.

I definitely agree that one shouldn't try to analyze others through use of the cards, though. I also think that we shouldn't take them at face value. My experience is that any card can offer insight into any situation, but that sometimes it takes some creativity to get the meanings to fit in a healthy way.

EmpyreanKnight

In my case, the only price I paid when I read is that I can sometimes find it highly draining. I'm very healthy and I have excellent physical and mental stamina, but it has happened that after a lengthy reading or upon finishing a chain of small ones, I just felt so exhausted. Twice when I was just about to start a reading I felt so emptied out that I had to make myself a thick meat sandwich and eat it before I proceeded. I have since learned that some grounding exercises can help you with this, tho it can still happen.

techn1k

I have since learned that some grounding exercises can help you with this, tho it can still happen.

That! After reading i feel tired quite often but I thought I can't be related to cards or that I'm simply tired. I have to read about it and check that grounding out.

techn1k

Also I would like to share a thought I had about the 'fear'. I was looking at the major arcana sequence and I realised that I might be at point of 'Strength' and that it actually is an advice how to deal with it. When I was first reading about the sequence I thought that 'Chariot' suits my current situation best. Inner fear apparently has to be dealt with before one can progress further.

Maybe I'm overthinking things here, but... maybe not? ;)

Trogon

Also I would like to share a thought I had about the 'fear'. I was looking at the major arcana sequence and I realised that I might be at point of 'Strength' and that it actually is an advice how to deal with it. When I was first reading about the sequence I thought that 'Chariot' suits my current situation best. Inner fear apparently has to be dealt with before one can progress further.

Maybe I'm overthinking things here, but... maybe not? ;)

I can definitely see the interpretation of Strength as using one's spiritual strength and logical thinking to overcome the base emotion of fear. That fight or flight feeling is an instinct which can serve us well in certain circumstances. But fear can become something irrational which can hold us back. One's spirit overcoming that irrational fear is something I see in the Strength card.

EmpyreanKnight

That! After reading i feel tired quite often but I thought I can't be related to cards or that I'm simply tired. I have to read about it and check that grounding out.

Once you finally find a routine that works well for you, please do not hesitate to share it with us. :)

techn1k

Once you finally find a routine that works well for you, please do not hesitate to share it with us. :)

Hi,

well I started doing three things:
- drinking more water - especially before and after reading, I know I don't drink enough water through the day so that should help anyway
- projecting 'mental shield' - depending on the day it's either the ball of light around me or a glassy 'star-treky' thing. I try to keep it up while focusing on the cards, especially when I'm not in the top form
- grounding excercise - that one really surprised me! When I first tried it i started feeling better even though it was just during a break at work. Physically better. It was a bit of 'whoa' moment for me ;)

I suppose that with time I won't have to think about so much and it'll all become natural process. It makes me feel better so why not?

EmpyreanKnight

Hi,

well I started doing three things:
- drinking more water - especially before and after reading, I know I don't drink enough water through the day so that should help anyway
- projecting 'mental shield' - depending on the day it's either the ball of light around me or a glassy 'star-treky' thing. I try to keep it up while focusing on the cards, especially when I'm not in the top form
- grounding excercise - that one really surprised me! When I first tried it i started feeling better even though it was just during a break at work. Physically better. It was a bit of 'whoa' moment for me ;)

I suppose that with time I won't have to think about so much and it'll all become natural process. It makes me feel better so why not?

I'm glad it worked for you too techn1k. I've read about the mental shield thing before, and now you've got me sufficiently interested in it so I'd like to try that too. Thanks! :)