"The Tarot Directory" by Annie Lionnet

Chronata

Bought My First Tarot Book! (Lionnet)

Well, I did it...I actually purchased a book on tarot!

I am not normally a person who uses tarot books, (unless they exist to explain a specific deck...) because I like to interpret the cards as intuitively as possible.

(I do own Waite's Pictoral Key...and some books by Eden Gray that I have never really looked at...but I don't believe these count!)

Anyway...Since starting on the creation of my own tarot, I realized that a book that just condenses meanings...something simple to easily reference... might not be a bad thing to have...

So I bought THE TAROT DIRECTORY by Annie Lionnet

And it's not a bad little book. Of course it's not the end-all be-all of tarot books, and doesn't have a huge listing of meanings for each card...
But what it does have is a nice spiral bound construction, and a big range of different cards from different decks to illustrate it! It's not just the RWS in there...but the Thoth, the TdM, the Golden Dawn, the Herbal(!) and a few other odd deck choices.

While most card meanings continue to buzz around in my memory...it is nice to occassionally have a reference book, when I don't want to think about it!
And I recommend this one for easy to use simplicity.

lunakasha

Thanks Chronata!!!

Sounds very interesting....I love books that show a variety of different decks too...have you considered Rachel Pollacks Complete Illustrated Guide to Tarot??? LOTS of nice illustrations in there...not only tarot cards, but others...check it out if you haven't already! :p

I am going to be looking for this one next time I visit Barnes & Noble....glad you are enjoying it!

:) Luna

DewDrop

Very interesting!

I am trying to make my own directory from all of my book right now, and as you can imagen it takes some time :)

Always up for something new, thanks :D

Emily

Hi Chronata,

I picked The Tarot Directory up from a seconds bookshop over the weekend. I have her smaller book Secrets of Tarot so I knew her quality of writing. There is more information in The Tarot Directory and it makes for interesting reading. It also contains pics of my favourite decks - Morgan Green, Thoth, Tarot of St Petersburg, Universal Waite. There is also a nifty little keyword kind of chart at the back of the section for the majors. :)

AmbitiousMind

I purchased a book they had in the 'special section' of Barnes & Noble.

"The Tarot Directory" by Annie Lionnet. Hard Cover. Retail: $12.95

What drew me to this book was the very soft colors of the hard cover. Upon opening it I was pleasantly surprised. It's separated by tabs for each section: Tarot basics, major arcana, minor arcana, the reading, case histories.

Each card gets two page of description on high quality paper, and references at least three cards from different decks.

The production of this book is wonderful and would make an awesome gift to a tarot enthusiast or begining reader. It's definately something to have at your side as you learn to read tarot.

Original price is $12.95... At B&N find it in the special section for $9.95 plus readers discount. (at least at the store I went to in Glendale, CA)

Picture:
0785814574.01._PE_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

There was a stack of about ten of them!

inanna_tarot

Havent seen this book before!! Heres the link to amazon.com and a couple of reviews.

Blessings,
Sezo
x

AmbitiousMind

After reading it I still felt it was a great reference book. A wonderful book for beginners and it includes some useful spreads at the end with case studies.

The only problem I had with the book is that it didn't not describe the Major Arcana in order as the traditioinal numbers represent.

It went from THE CHARIOT, card 7, to JUSTICE, card 11.

It picks up at the Hermit, then to The Wheel of Fortune before getting back to Strength. I'm not sure why the author did this.

jmd

Justice is traditionally numbered eight, Strength eleven...

I'm surprised the book would have used illustrations with a deck or decks which have made the switch (such as the Waite Colman Smith), or would have numbered Justice as eleven !?!

aneski

I really like this little book. It is easy to read, gives a nice interpretation of the cards, and some insights.

I just ordered 78 Degrees and Tarot Reversals, and I'm curious how they will compare. The Tarot Directory has no information specifically on reversals, but suggests them in each description of the cards.

SilverWing

I have a book that was recommended by the owner of a store I use to go to all the time in San Jose. The Book Shop. Loved that store. Anyway, it's called Dictionary of the Tarot by Bill Butler. Not alot of pictures. But gives interpretation to 20 decks.