Pendants on Medicine Card shields

Kyrielle

The shields on the Medicine Cards have pendants -- things hanging from the bottoms of them. I've tried to find a pattern, but can't hit on one. The number of pendants differ, and which items are included on what shield vary. I can't find a consistent significance of the items to the animal, or class of animal, or whatever. Maybe this is another hidden pattern unaddressed by the authors. Any ideas?

Kyrielle

lunalafey

heehee-
I've done the same, gave up.
Though it was long ago, I do belive that the type of feathers had some sort of thing going. I'll have to take a look again.

Fulgour

Pythagoras as Opossum?

All of the Shields match by number, if you reduce to one digit.

1. Eagle, also 10, 19, 28, 37, 46

2. Hawk, also 11, 20, 29, 38, 47

3. Elk, also 12, 21, 30, 39, 48

4. Deer, also 13, 22, 31, 40, 49

5. Bear, also 14, 23, 32, 41, 50

6. Snake, also 15, 24, 33, 42, 51

7. Skunk, also 16, 25, 34, 43, 52

8. Otter, also 17, 26, 35, 44

9. Butterfly, also 18, 27, 36, 45

I hope I didn't make any number-typos, but there it is.
Now, what does it mean? The authors reamain silent.

Penelope

The nine blank shields also correspond to the nine 'groups'. I have incorporated the blank shields to the groups with the eight and nine numbers and use it as a 54 card deck.

I like to think of the blank shields as "the gift we give ourselves" The book that Samms and Carson wrote for the deck does say that Medicine is " anything that brings personal power, strength and understanding" and I believe that we all can bring to mind a certain animal in our lives or thoughts if this card appears in a reading, and act upon the message these animals bring us.

By the way Kyrielle, how I agree with you that there are many points unaddressed by the authors, I have scratched my head a number of times. One example is why does this deck have "Wild Boar" when there are none in America? The nearest to such a wonderful creature is the Peccary. I have even considered removing it from the deck, does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Mi-Shell

The Wild Boar is there, because it is important to Jamie, who has family - grandparents - or great grandparents - that are from Central Germany, where this Animal is auspicious.

( I know this, because I "know" Jamie a little...