Numbers, astrology and tarot

kwaw

Numbers are a wonderful thing, pattern an esoteric obsession. Tarot and astrology by coincidence are wonderfully connected by number; in that there are 78 cards, 12 signs of the zodiac, and 78 is the sum of the numbers 1-12. This coincidence allows for all sort of speculative comparisons.

For example, taking Aries as the first sign = 1, and Pisces as the last = 12, them we have:

Mercury rules Gemini [3] and Virgo [6] = 9;

Venus rules taurus [2] and Libra [7] = 9;

Mars rules Aries [1] and Scorpio [8] = 9

The lights, which rule one sign each, the Sun [Leo = 5] and Moon [Cancer = 4] = 9.

Jupiter rules Sagittarius [9] and Pisces [12] = 21;

Saturn rules Capricorn [10] and Aquarius [11] =21.

Can we split the 78 pack of cards into this sixfold pattern? Speculativley I would suggest:

2-10 Cups = 9 = Venus [love];
2 -10 Swords = 9 = Mars [war];
2-10 Coins = 9 = Mercury [trade];
2-10 Staves =9 = lights {sun.moon} [seasonal cycles, agriculture and husbandry, by extention labour and work];

Which leaves two 21's. The court cards, the nobility, the heads of power, I would include with the ace's [ace, to be the head, the beginning, first or top of. In Hebrew 'resh' = both 'head' and 'beginning'; so bereshith can mean either 'in the beginning' or 'at the head of']. This gives us 16 court cards and 4 aces [roots of power, as the court cards as nobility are heads of power] = 20.

We need 21. Can we include the 'fool'? Like the court cards [and the aces], it is 'unnumbered', and it has also been associated with the 'court' jester. When it has been numbered, it has been as '0' zero, an arabic rather than roman number, again putting it among the minor than major arcana. In the 'steele sermon', though listed last, it is numbered 'zero'. In the Etteilla deck it is numbered both '78' and '0', suggesting if we put the deck in a circle it is both 'first and last', the end of the minor, the beginning of the major, linking both aspects.

This then leaves us with the 21 'roman' numbered Atu, which gives us a good match with the astrological. So:

2-9 Cups = Venus [9];
2-9 Swords = Mars [9];
2-9 Coins = Mercury [9];
2-9 Staves = Lights [Sun/Moon] [9];
Aces, Courts and Fool = Jupiter [21];
XXI Atu = Saturn [21].
Total = 78 [sum of 1-12, Aries to Pisces].

Kwaw

Indigo Rose

Mind Blowing....

Thanks Kwaw for posting your findings. I am so intrigued by this triangle of Astrology-Numerology-Tarot; I posted a poll on this some time ago to see how many people made this connection in their Tarot studies. I am with you on this. I am a baby student when it comes to numerology, but an eager and willing one for sure. In fact, just recently I have been delving deeper into Numerology and I AM HOOKED. I MUST FIND OUT MORE. Also the deeper I go, the more my mind connects all of the dots and I can see how the triangle weaves together these three entities.
THANks again for posting your discoveries.....BRILLIANT!!!

Blessings,
Indigo Rose :)

kwaw

kwaw said:

] 2-9 Cups = Venus [9];
2-9 Swords = Mars [9];
2-9 Coins = Mercury [9];
2-9 Staves = Lights [Sun/Moon] [9];
Aces, Courts and Fool = Jupiter [21];
XXI Atu = Saturn [21].
Total = 78 [sum of 1-12, Aries to Pisces].

Kwaw

If we go with Etteilla's idea, numbering it 78/0, and place them in a circle so that the fool is at the end of the minor and the beginning of the major, we may consider it as being a transition between one and the other. It 'introduces' and commences the Saturn cycle, which we may relate to the fact 'Saturnalia' begins with the Festival of Fools.

Kwaw

HOLMES

hmm

i used a system of
9, 10,11 as relating to the higher /and or /lower aspects of higher arcana, and lower arcana.

the fool is 22 and 0, 2-2 makes 0 ( which makes justice or strenght depending on system you using connected as well 1-1 makes 0) .

so how can fool be 21?

Fulgour

People who haven't slowly worked through the many subtle
similarities and contrasting differences of the Zodiac might
not feel the revelatory energy seen in the combination
of house numbers.

First, if only for the sake of seeing things the way they were
set up originally, contemplate the aptness of the seven planets.
There are wonders to be found in this that defy modernity.

Opposite elements share 5 of the planets.
Saturn rules the Zodiac for 60 days in a row,
brilliantly opposite the Moon and Sun.
It goes on, as it ever will, and is wondrous.

kwaw

Re: hmm

HOLMES said:
the fool is 22 and 0, 2-2 makes 0 ( which makes justice or strenght depending on system you using connected as well 1-1 makes 0) .

so how can fool be 21?

I agree in that I can see, considering the major arcana cycle to be represented in a circle, that the fool is beginning and/or end, 22nd/0.

How can the fool be 21? I don't know, has anybody said it is? I know some place it between 20 and 21, but don't remember anyone refering to it as 21. In this thread all that has been said is that there are 21 cards without numbers on them.

Kwaw

HOLMES

kwaw said:
We need 21. Can we include the 'fool'? Like the court cards [and the aces], it is 'unnumbered', and it has also been associated with the 'court' jester. When it has been numbered, it has been as '0' zero, an arabic rather than roman number, again putting it among the minor than major arcana.
Kwaw

ah oops i thoguht you were saying that since we needed a 21 can the fool be 21 ,

(sorry your system was new to me and so i was busying to understand it, i didnt' read that part correctly as i thought that was new initself :)

jmd

Wonderful to have this thread linked from another - I often have this section of the Forums collapsed, and would thus may not otherwise have noticed it...

Given your interest in the same, Kwaw, I am certain that you would likewise be aware that the four fixed signs of the zodiac, if their ordinal placements are added, equal the value of the tetragrammaton.

What I also find of particular interest is that you have here also presented a means to relate and further add insight to each of the individual card representations in a manner which is both original and striking:

Each of the pips from 2 to 9 of Cups having Venusian (or is that venereal?) qualities as exemplified in Taurus and in Libra; of Swords having Martian qualities as exemplified in Aries and in Scorpio; of Coins having Mercurial qualities as exemplified in Gemini and in Virgo; and of Batons having Solar and Lunar qualities as exemplified in Leo and in Cancer...

Also each of the courts, Aces and the Fool having Jupiterian qualities as exemplified in Sagittarius and in Pisces; and each of the other Atouts having Saturnian qualities as exemplified in Aquarius and Capricorn...

Did you also have more specific relations, or rather allow for these to play into reflections?

kwaw

Given your interest in the same, Kwaw, I am certain that you would likewise be aware that the four fixed signs of the zodiac, if their ordinal placements are added, equal the value of the tetragrammaton.

Yes Indeed : The four fixed signs associated with the four holy animals of Ezekiel's chariot in the four corners of the World card = Taurus / 2; Leo /5; Scorpio 8 and Aquarius / 11

2 + 5 + 8 + 11 = 26 which is both the numeration of YHVH and also of Alef as constituted of two yods and a vau - perhaps Mellet had the right of it when he attributed Alef to Trump XXI The World!