Rune Set

TygrEyes

Thanks for your input, RaeAnne!
Being newly interested in runes & having no experience with them I feel like I need a jumping off point. For example, Fehu is said to represent cattle = wealth. When I think of that from the point of view of a people living about 2200 years ago I get sustenance & satisfying physical needs off the top of my head. If I had just looked at the symbol I wouldn't have had a clue it meant cattle & then wouldn't have made the links I did. How could someone? We weren't alive back then when the symbols were used.
Now, I have to figure out how I'm going to slice my apple branch "cleanly" enough to make runes from it. I just might have to break down & get one of those little Dremel tools.
I had definitely gotten the "no books" notion from Umbrae's post, though.

Cerulean

I may be getting a goofy set...

and many will be casting their runestones my way...here's a suggestion if you were thinking of tarot and runes (which may not be a good match, but might be interesting to compare:

http://www.themysticeye.com/info/tarotrunes.htm

and here you can learn about runes:

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/meanings.html

Oh, and the goofy set I am ordering from Amazon.com.uk is Runic Tarot....they are supposed to be a combination of Norse and Tarot art. The name is unfortunate because it only has 76 cards and from scans in the thread that I posted, you can see it has more art than runes.

I am not in the UK, but am trying to see if I can get them sooner than February 2005, which is when the Caroline Smith set is due out in the U.S.

I tend to like Caroline Smith's abstraction, some will suggest my taste is truly goofy.

And yes, while I wait, there's a set of stones....

Regards,

Cerulean

Umbrae

TygrEyes said:
For example, Fehu is said to represent cattle = wealth. When I think of that from the point of view of a people living about 2200 years ago I get sustenance & satisfying physical needs off the top of my head. If I had just looked at the symbol I wouldn't have had a clue it meant cattle & then wouldn't have made the links I did. How could someone? We weren't alive back then when the symbols were used.
Now, I have to figure out how I'm going to slice my apple branch "cleanly" enough to make runes from it. I just might have to break down & get one of those little Dremel tools.
I had definitely gotten the "no books" notion from Umbrae's post, though.

All the books you need are in this forum.

For instance, in response to your concern about cattle:
"Ethical behavior based on wisdom based on tradition is required (Do not allow your cattle to graze next to your water supply).

Fehu means more than cattle or gold…It is the responsibility not only to your self, but you your family unit that comes with the acquisition of wealth."

crystal dawn

I found it pretty useful to buy different sets and books when i was first learning about the runes - the horik svennsson set is a good one and so are the ones by ralph blum, both of which i have. When i grew very confident with the runes i started to make my own sets and am now on commission to make sets for others and am in the proccess of writing a book myself on them. So you could say that the money i paid out for the sets i am starting to earn back. I also find it really relaxing when making a new set, i would make them for free for people if i could, but they always insist on payment. I suppose you could say this corresponds to the gyfu rune - the rune of karma and love - a gift demands a gift in return - relationships of all kinds have to be a two way proccess. I have found the runes relate on a very personal level and often relate to the here and now. So i would recomend if you need to buy a set or a book to learn more about them, to do so and learn how to translate the meanings in your own words. Do what you feel is right, invest if you want, dont invest if you dont want - there,s plenty of time to make your own set(s) when you have more knowledge on the subject.

blessed be

crystal dawn

Webwitch

Shapeshifter wrote:

I will try to look for a place where i can buy the materials to make my own deck, it does not sound that difficult to make it.

You don't need anything. Go out and find a branch of a tree that you feel drawn to (preferably a fallen branch) and use that to make your rune set. If you live in a city, take a train or bus out to a rural area where you can walk. Do ensure the tree from which you are taking your branch is not protected.

One you have selected your branch, you only need a sharp knife to carve the runes into the wood.

Easy and far more worthwhile than buy them. As to learning about them - there are plenty of resources to be found on the net - find one that resonates with you.

Cheers,
Webwitch :)

Umbrae

Webwitch said:
...there are plenty of resources to be found on the net - find one that resonates with you.
look no further than this forum!

Shade

I'm with Umbrae.

My coven (whcih meets weekly) decided to take on runes. We each too several of the runes and studied them to report back. This was a very interesting way of doing it as each of us found different thinsg interesting an the reporting in showed a great deal of variety.

Anyway to the runes

We each made a set doing one rune at a time discussing its meaning as we drew it. The othe three members did their on wood (two birch one redwood) and I made my set out of (naturaly shed) antler. The antler tips were cut like you might cut a dowel into rounds adn I love them. I like the weight of the horn runes and I like that I can throw them without worrying about them breaking like clay runes. We just used art pens for teh designs making the rune in black and then outlining one side of it in another color to make to stand out more. It was easier than I had thought it would be.

By doing it this way the runes are not completely uniform in size and shape but in the end i don't thin they are supposed to look that way.

Ulfdis

I have to agree with Umbrae's advice: Make your own runes!

I feel that the act of making the runes is an integral part of learning the runes. Even Odhinn says:

Do you know how one ought to cut, know how one ought to consult,
Do you know how one ought to color, know how one ought to test,
Do you know how one ought to ask, know how one ought to sacrifice,
Do you know how one ought to send, know how one ought to destroy?

I take that as sound advice from the Highest Authority on the runes. Besides, dremel tools are fun!

spirit

Runes

My advice would be to make your own set as i have (i walked along a beach and chose stones that called to me then painted the runic alphabet onto them) they work much better than store bought sets and information on the runes r widely available.