Discovering Runes........

> Tarot Forum > Beyond Tarot > Divination

Citizen

Moonbow 
Discovering Runes........

Before I started tarot I had two other decks - the Froud Faeries and Ralph Blum's Rune Cards. I actually like his cards very much and I remember at the time being impressed by the art on the cards (a type of collage of natural things like wheat, sticks, shells and leaves etc) but, I also had some accurate readings, albeit beginners dabblings. From there I got into tarot and I haven't touched the rune cards for at least a couple of years.

Well, this is where the fun begins. I was going through a creative phase yesterday and decided I would make some runes, but I was in a hurry, well..... why wait for something, when you can have it now eh? (sounds like something from Homer Simpson's own lips) but, once I get a bee in my bonnet I have to go for it so out in the garden I trot and come back with small pepples ..... I didnt realise my garden was so stoney! I deliberately chose small ones due to the weight, I washed them, let them dry in the sun, wrote the runes on them in green ink and then sealed with ........ yup ........Mabelline Ultra Lasting nailvarnish. I did contemplate clear furniture varnish but that takes 6 hours to dry....... so that wasn't going to happen!

I read the rune threads here, found other sites to learn how to cast them and this morning I had a little 'play'.

I can't be intuitive with them yet because I have to look up the meanings and then comes the intuitive bit of choosing what I think is relevent to the question. I realise this needs more practice and learning from me but what an amazing reading I got! I love these little stones! They sound so nice and... chinky in the bag too! I know, I know, that's a real girlie thing to say - but they do! So I thought I would share a picture of my little rune pebbles from my own garden. I hope it gives others some inspiration and encouragement to go out and do the same. I enjoyed doing it and it was instant - thanks to Maybelline
Top   #1
Citizen

poivre 
Talking

I done this once and used a marker never thought of Maybelline.

Your Runes look nice Moonbow*
Top   #2
Citizen

darwinia 

Gorgeous!!!!

I love the different shades of the stones and yet similar in size.

They look neat, tidy, and professional. Thanks so much for posting the lovely picture.
Top   #3
Citizen

Majecot 
Thumbs up

Those are awesome !!!! I cannot believe you made those. The symbols are so clear (not that I know anything about runes but... you know what I mean ), and your pebbles are very pretty as well.
Top   #4
Citizen

cjtarot 
Talking OHH HOW BEAUTIFUL

Moonbow,

Those are beautiful. Sometimes Simple is best...

The only advise.. give them another coat of two of clear nail color..the more they are protected the less likely the ink will get worn off..

Blessings,

CJ
Top   #5

of the woods

zorya 

they look lovely moonbow!

thank you for sharing how easy it can be to make a set of runes.
Top   #6
Citizen

Moonbow 

Thanks guys!

CJ I will do as you say. When I got this idea into my head, it was really just to see what they would come out like, but I am pleased with the outcome so Iwill give them another coat - I may even use something better than nailvarnish!!

Okay - ideally they should be exactly the same shape and size but to start with - they cost nothing.

I had a go today with glass nuggets too. I'll keep you posted on them
Top   #7
Citizen

Little Baron 
Thumbs up I see a business starting here ......

Hi Moonbow

They look so good!

I had runes many years ago (horrible plastic ones with gold engraving in ... yuck). They are still hanging around somewhere.

When it was my friends birthday, I did exactly the same as you. I got some pebbles and coated them with some kind of artists varnish, I think. I was living in a rented flat at the time and managed to spill the bottle all over the carpet. The carpet was like concrete but my landlord never noticed when we moved out - put a packing box on it when he came to look around.

My friend was thrilled with the runes, however. Having said that, they didn't look as good as yours. Your markings are much sharper and more delicated looking than mine were.

They look great though. Cheers for shaing.

Yaboot
Top   #8
Citizen

purple_scorp 

Moonbow, we'll all be lining up for readings now....

great stuff. they look fabulous.

How did you do your cast? Did you pull the runes out from a bag. I guess because of the different colouring, this would work better for your set. Otherwise you might cheat and always pick the dark brown one, LOL....btw, is there a dark brown one? I typed this after I had looked at the photo.

p_s
Top   #9
Citizen

Moonbow 

Thank you P_S

Well I tipped them all out, looked away and picked three. But I will try different ways to see which works best for me.

The nice thing about the stones is that they are all different colours, there is a pink one and a blue. As soon as the varnish went on the colours showed up more.

I think this is definately something that anyone could do - it's very quick and cheap.
Top   #10
Elsewhere on the Tarot Forum
Popular Tarot Boards
· Using Tarot Cards
· Talking Tarot
· Tarot Spreads
· Tarot Decks
· Rider-Waite-Smith

Special Interest Boards
· Astrology
· Crystals & Herbs
· Divination
· Lenormand
· Spirituality

Popular Tarot Threads
· Pet Peeves
· Timing of cards
· Interesting tarot pairs
· The Moon as how someone feels
· The World as feelings

More Tarot Threads
· Cards for certain events
· Tarot meanings for health
· List of Tarot Questions
· Can Tarot be Dangerous?
· List of Tarot Myths

Elsewhere on Aeclectic Tarot
· Tarot Cards & Reviews
· Free Tarot Readings
· Tarot eBooks
· Tarot Card Meanings

Copyright © 1996 - 2022 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us. Advertise with us.