suggestions for modern decks?

faunabay

I'm getting the urge to get a more modern feeling deck, and am looking for suggestions.

I've looked at the Rohrig and Vertigo decks. Vertigo is too dark - don't like it for me. The Rohrig is the one I like the best so far but haven't seen too many yet.

Actually my favorite is a photo collage deck called the Blue Rose Tarot listed on the Tarot Passages site. Very, very kewl!!!! But it's handmade and costs around $130.00. If I had that much extra money I'd buy it in a second, but of course don't :( I am saving my pennies though. It's definitely on my wish list.

But does anyone have any other suggestions?

Jewel

Hi Faunabay ... by modern do you mean collages? if not you might want to look at the Navigators of the Mystic Sea Tarot, but if you decide to get it make sure you get the book as well. Good luck and happy hunting! Hope you can get that deck you really want really soon ;)

Logiatrix

faunabay,
voyager and cosmic tribe are two exceptionally done photo-montage, collage type decks that come to mind.
voyager is especially a fave around here! it's certainly modern, multi-cultural and not "dark"--i certainly know what you mean about that...
another more contemporary style deck, though not collage, is the osho zen. it isn't traditional tarot, but it parallels quickly enough, with some study. the art is exquisite.
others i can think of, that offer a more modern perspective, are the wheel of change, po-mo and karma tarots.
good luck in your search!

faunabay

I don't necessarily need a collage deck (although I like them quite a bit). I just want one that has a bit more modernized illustrations. I don't have any like that right now and want to add it to my growing, growing, growing collection. :D
And taz, I've seen the PoMo deck and like it, just can't find one as it's out of print. Got any suggestions?
Am going to check out the others both of you suggested. Thanks :)

Melvis

The Rohrig is an excellent deck, but you really have to get the book that is written for it to appreciate it. I'm still having trouble connecting with it, but I'm progressing nicely so I think it'll be a favorite deck soon.

I've seen that Blue Rose Deck too...it looks gorgeous! I would have to put off buying decks for awhile to afford that price tag though...and I don't think I can do that! ;)

I REALLY like the Osho Zen deck too...I use it all the time for readings. It's easier for some people who aren't as familiar with Tarot cards to relate to when they get their first readings done. The only thing is it's a little difficult to figure out suits since you only have a little diamond of color at the bottom each card to tell you what suit it belongs to.

Peace,

Melvis

Strange2

I would second the recommendation on the Wheel of Change tarot as a modern deck. Actually, it's a fascinating mix of modern, multi-cultural, and timeless images. A very interesting, entertaining, surprising deck.

grasshopper

I've just seen a beautiful modern deck which I am going to treat myself to for a Christmas present. Is $35 too much for you? If not email me and I'll send you a link to the site.
All the best
grasshopper

Major Tom

Faunabay - I apologise in advance of my somewhat tounge in cheek reply.
;p
Quote:faunabay (28 Oct, 2001 10:39):
I'm getting the urge to get a more modern feeling deck, and am looking for suggestions.

But does anyone have any other suggestions?

If you don't mind waiting...Major Tom's tarot is a thoroughly modern deck. :D

Are you still thinking about the 8 of Coins? ;-)