Anyone have a complete list of the Air/Fire swapped decks?

marichan

As someone with a preference for swords=air, wands=fire, I was wondering if anyone has a list of the decks that swap the elements?

Perhaps we can make a list together?
If I find more I'll add them.

Decks where swords=fire, and wands=air:
Art Nouveau Tarot
Legend: The Arthurian Tarot ^
Renaissance *
Shapeshifter *
Witches Tarot *
Celtic Dragon *
Nigel Jackson Tarot **

*= Thanks Nexy!
**= Thanks Lee!
^= Thanks CN!

nexyjo

i have a grid on my website that lists correspondances (among other things) for the various decks i own. you may wanna check that out.
luv and light,
nexy

marichan

Quote:nexyjo (10 Nov, 2001 03:57):
i have a grid on my website that lists correspondances (among other things) for the various decks i own. you may wanna check that out.
luv and light,
nexy

Thank you!
I added the decks you listed to my list above (hope you don't mind!)

BTW, it was my first visit to your site, and a highly enjoyable one at that. Loved the moon art behind your sofa and the butterfly tree. :)

Lee

Here's one:

Nigel Jackson Tarot

-- Lee

C.N.

There is an error in your list:
The Arthurian Tarot (aka Hallowquest) has NOT swapped elements.
Legend: The Arthurian Tarot has swapped elements.

Best wishes,
C.N.

truthsayer

as much as i like the legend arthurian and art noveau, it's hard to believe i missed that air and fire are swapped on them. i had an almost instant rapport w/ them. however, i noticed this immediately on the dj conway decks shapeshifter and celtic dragon. i never jelled w/ either deck. perhaps i need to re-evaluate my fire/air theory. it may not make as much difference as i thought. i'm glad i have today to explore this!!!!!!!!!! :) thanks for bringing this up!

Kaz

As you bring up this topic about swapping suits and elements, I wonder WHY ppl choose wands for fire and swords for air (or vice versa).
After all, cards listen to your subconcious, so it shouldn't really matter. Just as long as you know what is what you will be ok in reading them.
What is the reason for you to choose that specific element with that suit?

(This question maybe belongs on another forum, if so, moderator please move it there.)

Kaz

C.N.

Quote:Kaz (12 Nov, 2001 06:08):
As you bring up this topic about swapping suits and elements, I wonder WHY ppl choose wands for fire and swords for air (or vice versa).
After all, cards listen to your subconcious, so it shouldn't really matter. Just as long as you know what is what you will be ok in reading them.
What is the reason for you to choose that specific element with that suit?

Kaz

Because the images of the minors are based of its corresponding element:

Suit - Element - Part of Being - Feeling

Wands - Fire - Soul (Yang-part) - Courage
Cups - Water - Soul (Yin-part) - Love
Swords - Air - Mind - Fear
Pentacles (Coins) - Earth - Body - Security/Satisfaction???

So if the elements are swapped then the images will also need to be swapped.

Blessed Be,
C.N.

jmd

In case you're interested in another correlation altogether, the Spanish 'Grand Esoterico' (I'll check the spelling when I have access to my decks) has CUPS with Air!

Freddie

Which tarot writer started the idea that wands are air? After reading this thread I remember that when I first started tarot I learned that wands were fire, but some where along the line I picked up the idea that wands are air and it stuck. I leafed through Waite's "P.K.To.T.TAROT" and couldn't find his take on the element of wands. His descpriton of the suit matches fire or seems to. Who changed the wand suit element to air? Waite? Crowley? Papus? or someone else?

Thanks,

Freddie

P.S.: Wands are fire to me again. It just makes good sense to me, esp. when a person reads vintage decks with big batons/clubs (wood and fire go together) instead of thin wands.