One Deck Only?

witchywoman

I know there are a huge number of collectors on this forum and I've got a bit of a question for you all.

I've been using the Mythic deck now for about 5 years and I love it. Recently I've been interested in looking at other decks to expand my knowledge. I purchased the Legend Arthurian deck, and the Robin Wood deck. All they have really done is make me realise just how much I love my Mythic deck and how 'bonded' I am to it.

I know there are no rules or anything about using multiple decks or just one, but I'm interested to hear if anyone knows people who use just one deck and always have. Also how beneficial you think it is to work with different decks? I've found the Robin Wood deck as given me some useful insights into meanings but I can't imagine myself reading with it. And do you use one deck for a while and then change to another, or use whichever feels right for you at the time?

Thanks.
ww

Logiatrix

w.w.,
i used to bounce around from one favorite deck to another, often favoring as many as ten or twelve decks at a time ("i can't decide--i love them ALL"!)
now i find that it's better to focus on one "main" deck. i think it even makes my readings better, to have decided to stay focused and bonded to the one set of cards. i also do as you do with the second deck for study and comparison, but not to read with. mine is the rider-waite, but i'm seriously considering the robin wood.
like many others here, i also have a favorite divination/oracle deck, which offers a nice change from my tarot deck.
:)

Jewel

I am one of those collectors you spoke of *LOL*. I just absolutly love my Tarot decks, all of them! But I work with the Robin Wood primarily, it was a deck that drew me towards it just sitting on a shelf at Barnes & Noble. The other deck I do work with is the Tarot of the Old Path. But the Robin Wood is definetly the primary. To tell you how attached to the deck I am ~giggles~ I moved and the wooden box where I kept my tresured Robin Wood got packed in a box and went to storage!!!!! Well since I dug around and realized I could not gain access to that particular box (go figure) I had to go purchase antoher Robin Wood *LOL*. Now I keep one at my Fiances house and the other with me ~giggles~. On occassion, if I am in a particular mood that identifies with one of my other decks I might pull it out and work with it for a bit, but not as in depth.

Well I don't want to bore you anymore ~giggles~ so I will cut this off here.

Love & Light,

Kiama

Well, I'm a collector, and have so many great decks which I can work with. However, after a while of hopping from one deck to the other, I realised that I can only really have one deck: Robin Wood.

The thing is, I can still read really effectively with most of my others...

Kiama

cj

witchywoman

I have about 15 decks (my latest is the Osho Zen). I am one of those people who use a few decks at a time.

For my daily card I pull 2 or 3 cards from 2 decks - my Universal Waite and 1 other deck.

I keep my decks in bags and just grab 1.

Works for me..do what works for you, but try your new ones once in a while - just for another opinion (try repeating the spread with another deck and see what you get).

cj

scorpio

i collect and have an unknow number of decks. but last year the pressure tank exploded in my basement soaking a number of things including my pocket rider waite. so i took it to work and tossed it in my locker. it is dirty, wilted, and of course the deck i read the best with. i dont know if its because i use it the most or what but its so shaggy its embarrassing!

Kimon

Hello,

I have between 60 and 70 decks, but since more than 15 years I am working just with one Thoth deck. I feel it is sort of my sacred one and am very comfortable with this.

Greetings,
Kimon

Jewel

Quote:scorpio (30 Nov, 2001 15:31):
i collect and have an unknow number of decks. but last year the pressure tank exploded in my basement soaking a number of things including my pocket rider waite. so i took it to work and tossed it in my locker. it is dirty, wilted, and of course the deck i read the best with. i dont know if its because i use it the most or what but its so shaggy its embarrassing!

Sounds like it is time to put your treasured deck into a special box and keep close to you and use it for yourself, but also time to purchase a new one for use with poeple you read for :)

scorpio

thanks for the suggestion jewel i will look for a box for those cards. im kinda testing now with the diamond tarot i got a couple of weeks ago the readings have been good but im going to give it time and i may get another pocket waite - i do like smaller size cards. but i dont have any tarot boxes so that would make that deck special - thanks!!!!

Jewel

Quote:scorpio (01 Dec, 2001 03:16):
thanks for the suggestion jewel i will look for a box for those cards. im kinda testing now with the diamond tarot i got a couple of weeks ago the readings have been good but im going to give it time and i may get another pocket waite - i do like smaller size cards. but i dont have any tarot boxes so that would make that deck special - thanks!!!!

You are most welcome! I have one of my Robin Wood Tarots in a small treasure chest looking box, it has an ancient feel to it ~giggles~. I have the deck wrapped in a silk scarf that has purple green and gold in it and I sprinkled some Rosemary in the bottom of the box. It is the only deck I have in a special box, and to me it represents how special the deck is to me. Good luck with everything.