I need help choosing deck as a gift for friend

witchywoman

Hi there.

I have a very dear friend who I'd like to buy a tarot deck for as a birthday gift. He is a psychologist with a special interest in Jungian psychology. I'm after any suggestions as to a deck that may work well for someone with an interest in this area.

I have the Mythic deck which he has seen but doesn't really like. Also I showed him the Robin Wood and he didn't comment one way or the other. I'd like to keep it a surprise at this stage.

Many thanks
ww

Lilliana

This is just an idea if you can't find a jung deck. Maybe you could give him a tarot deck gift voucher. You could make one up yourself, decorate it and make it really beautiful, then wrap it up. On the voucher you could write something like- "this voucher entitles you to a tarot deck of your choice etc."

Then take him out on a tarot deck shopping trip!

I always do something like this if I'm not quite sure what to give someone, especially if it's something as personal as a tarot deck. That way you can be sure they really like it.

Anyway, hopefully someone can give you some info on a jung-based tarot (I don't know much about jung's theories, so I don't know of any decks that utilise them).

Lilli

divinerguy

Two ideas. There's a book out there, I've seen it at Borders. Its about using Tarot as a therapeutic tool.

I'm also a professional (attorney), and although we're different, I kinda think that in some ways were the same.

Stay away from a theme deck, they're faddish.

Go with something that's got heavy archetypal symbolism. Try the Universal Waite, the Cosmic, the Rohrig, or maybe even the Voyager.

All of these decks are symbol heavy and don't really have a specific theme to detract from the Jungian aspect of the cards. Its worth a shot.

Gary