My friends tell me that I can only receive a tarot deck as a gift, is this true?

ashleigh

I really, really want a tarot deck, but my friends tell me that if I buy a deck on my own, I will be cursed. There's just something about the art of divination through tarot cards that I'm drawn to. If I don't got a deck soon, I'll explode! I've read many books on the art of tarot, but I haven't found anything concerning how you must obtain them. Can you help me?

Talisman

Sure, Ashleigh,

You are absolutely right, Ashleigh. A Tarot deck from a friend is a wonderful gift.

Meanwhile, you said you have read a number of books. Pick out your favorite deck from the books you've read. Go buy this deck. (If you cross your fingers when you buy it, it won't count against you.)

Study the deck you now have, and your favorite book. Trust your intuition. Soon, you'll be offering suggestions to the rest of us, and we will be happy to recieve them.

Along the way, someone will give you a deck. I guarantee this.

Talisman

faunabay

Quote:Talisman (31 Jan, 2002 13:45):
Pick out your favorite deck from the books you've read. Go buy this deck. (If you cross your fingers when you buy it, it won't count against you.)
Talisman

Talisman, you are a complete crack up!!! ROFLMAO

faunabay

Quote:ashleigh (31 Jan, 2002 13:02):
my friends tell me that if I buy a deck on my own, I will be cursed.

Ashleigh, do you really believe you could be cursed because you bought something? REALLY???? If that was the case, all of us here on aeclectic would be cursed many times over. LOL That's a silly thought and I wish it would quit being passed around by people who don't know what they're talking about. (I'm not talking about you here OK)

I haven't found anything concerning how you must obtain them. Can you help me?
Here's a thought. Go buy one! :)

I want you to know my comments weren't meant to be mean or snotty, but I just think it's ridiculous that someone told you that! And you're not the only one. We get people asking that very same question alot. So don't feel silly for asking it - just go out and buy a deck - AS MANY DECKS AS YOU WANT TO!!! (like all of us LOL) And if you happen to buy one you don't connect with or like trade it here on aeclectic for another deck. We aim to please. :p
And please ask as many questions as you'd like. There's always someone here who can answer.

divinerguy

Hey - I've got an idea.

After you find which decks you like, tell your friends you need protection from the "curse" they described - so they need to run out and buy those decks for you.

It works for me.

Gary

Scorpion

Hi - Ashleigh!

I'm afraid that I can't agree with your friends either. I have bought myself quite a few Tarot decks and am none the worse for wear! I find it's the best way to get exactly the decks I want. When you see just how many decks some of the members here have you'll be very impressed by the number of friends they must have! There is, of course, no harm in selecting your favourite deck(s) and letting people know if they want to buy you something you really want.

Good luck in your hunting and don't forget to let us know what you go for!

ashleigh

Ya, i thought she was being kind of dumb. I didn't FEEL like buying a deck for myself was wrong, but I thought I'd double check her statement, "just in case". I feel so much better now! I can't wait to begin learning!

Logiatrix

ashleigh,
buy tarot decks...LOTS of tarot decks...buy them all...buy them for me...
go to the light, my child...tarot obsession awaits you.
:D
it feels good here.

kayne

This is what the great and wise Tarotbear said when I asked that very question:

The 'superstition' is based on the fact that unlike today when you can walk into any bookstore and select a tarot deck from a shelf of titles - once upon a time in ancient history (try 25 years ago) it was illegal or worse to have 'occult' books or paraphenalia in your shop (until the mid-1950s witchcraft was still a crime in England). You could only obtain a deck or book by 'knowing someone who knew someone'. Quite simply, if you walked into one of these stores and asked to buy a deck, if the owners didn't know you, they would tell you they carried no such things.
Go ahead and buy yourself any deck you wish- particularly that one that jumped off the shelf when you walked by.

Wizard in Residence <):)
Date: 21 Dec, 2001 on 04:46

Pollux

HEY!!!! NO WAY!
I had a similar problem myself - one month ago.
I decided I wouldn't have buought any other deck or book till someone of my family (so annoying! :( ) wouldn't accept Me (including Tarot in the Package! ;) ).
Well, maybe that wasn't fair, but I felt like doing it even for the sake of mama, who was a bit bothered herself. Therefore, I decided that till someone wouldn't give me the stuff (of course spontaneusly! :) ) I wouldn't have bought some - this was in a certain way to respect that saying.

To release me from my proposal - TADAAAAA!!!!!! - here comes I Tarocchi Celtici di Laura Tuan, a gift for Xmas from a faraway uncle. I wasn't expecting that, really (I put a thousand posts about it! :D ).
Everyone sorrounding me, yelling and looking at my surprised and eager face, contemplating the deck - it's beautiful really, go for it! - and captivating my attention: "Read for me! No for me myself... bla bla bla!"
They wanted to be my guinea pigs. They had accepted me. :)

Now, Aquarian and Gill, ordered at Alida, are to the way HOME!
Well, a bunch a lire, or EURO now, but I think that's worth it! ;)

The curse is a superstition.