i'm almost afraid to ask...

gypsy

has anyone, while reading in public, had someone spill their coffee or tea all over your cards???

RedMaple

No, but my grandson got raspberry jam all over a couple of cards. Just wiped em off and went on with it. Figure it'll sweeten the deck. ;)

I personally like decks to live in the world and age (gracefullly, of course!)

Although I did feel myself a little uptight about my Buddha deck -- the first time I've felt very protective of the cards. My grandson was responding to the images, choosing this card and that, and squeezing, folding the Devil card, (very appropriately, as he didn't like it and wanted to crush it). I wanted to protect the card, but finally decided it was better to protect my grandson. :)

If I need to I'll get a second deck sometime. But I'm sure the Buddha wouldn't mind.

miss_apples

You should see my Goddess tarot. My friend has spilled grape schnaaps on them. Also once I had them on my bed and my daughter put our guinea pigs close to them on the bed and one of my guinea pigs chewed the corner off of one of the cards. So they are pretty ratted up, but I still read with them and they still give readings with the same accuracy as always...so it all works out :)

WolfSpirit

Well I had myself spill a cup of tea on my Halloween deck :D
It happened when I was doing a reading sitting on the floor with a cup of tea beside me. The deck is laminated which probably saved it. I dried all cards with a cloth, it looked like some of the cards would end up with tiny bubbles on them, but even those dried up nicely and now the deck looks like new again.

Kiama

If you ever get a chance to smell my Tarot deck (not sure why you'd want to, but hey!) you'd smell a veritable bouquet of beer, white wine, cider, orange squash, and yet more white wine.

Serves me right for reading at pubs and parties. But I like my deck that way. It's lived, it's been loved and used. And it's still in good condition.

Deck survival tip - carefully dry it off with a tissue (all cards separately if necessary) and place on radiator to dry if necessary. This may cause slight warping, so when dry, place all warped cards in between reeeeally heavy books for a day or two. When finished, to get rid of the inevitable stickiness from whatever was spilled on them, wipe a little talcom powder on the back and front of each card.

Blessings,

Kiama

Cielo

See??? This is exactly the reason I so value my Radiant Rider Waite cards which are laminated with a glossy finish,- you just wipe them off (I'm talking sticky kids fingers and all!) and there you go!!! :D
This is one of the things I always worry about...what if something was to spill on my cards....urgh....and the one reason I wish more cards came with that glossy finish....hehehehe....

Chronata

oh yes.
My original Rider Waite Smith deck has a coffee stain. Or two.

And my Sacred Rose tarot has wax stains from when a client upset a candle on my table.
Never could get the wax out of the velvet tablecloth.

KatRabbit

I haven't spilt any drinks on my cards. However, I once left them out when I had a bath. My rabbit decided to mark them in his own special way!!! I managed to clean the worst off, but some now have an "antiqued" look to them LOL!

Simone

So far I was lucky (knock, knock on wood) and the only accident that happened were a few drops of water on one of my decks. It did not harm them, I guess I saw it early enough :D

I once gave a reading to a woman on her living room table though, and her kid was standing next to her, the boy started to bend some of the fanned-out cards back to see the pictures, and I gently asked him not to do that, again, no harm done :)

I like my cards to look handled and used (meaning: I like decks even if they do not look brandnew) but I try to avoid stains if I can :D

Love
Simone