Madame Endora's (Secret Circle) Study Group: Medusa

September Pixie

MEDUSA : Jealousy Leads To Downfall
[size=1.5]Click the attachment to view this card[/size]

From The Book:
Medusa represents envy and a corruption of beauty. This tragic, mythical being may also signify an act of jealous rage, exile or harsh punishment. Excessive jealousy leads to downfall.

Open For Discussion :)

Attachments

• medusa.jpg
    medusa.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,158

WolfyJames

I sometimes see this card as our shadow, the part of us that isn't pretty and that we don't want the others to see. After all, the shock of seeing her is so great that we are transformed into stone. Her existence is feared and denied. She is unloved and kills people who dare looking at her, by looking back at them. She seems to be strong on the card, somewhat emotional and intellectual, in control, a Queen of Swords. But I think it's just on the surface. The Medusa is more fragile than she seems to be and it wouldn't take much to make her fall. Yet, behind all her cruelty, all she wants is love and recognition.

September Pixie

In Greek mythology, Medusa ("cunning queen"), was the only mortal of the three Gorgon sisters. The Gorgons were one of three triads of ancient earth deities, consisting of the three nubile Hesperides, these three dangerous "queens", and the three crones or Graeae: triple triplets of the aspects of the Triple Goddess herself.

The gorgons were vicious female monsters with brass hands, sharp fangs and hair of living, venomous serpents, which identified them as earth creatures. Medusa's cheeks puffed out, and her tongue lolled between her fangs like the bloodthirsty chthonic goddess whom she represented. She was literally petrifying to look upon: every creature who saw her was turned to a stone of the earth.

She was said to be a daughter of Phorcys and Ceto, a mortal woman whom Athena changed into a Gorgon as punishment for desecrating her temple by sleeping with Poseidon there. When Athena came upon Medusa and Poseidon (also an arch-rival of Athena's since he vied for dominance over Athens, Athena offering the olive tree, Poseidon, the horse), she turned Medusa's beautiful hair into snakey tendrils and banished her to the far ends of the earth beyond the Hyperborean lands where she remained with her sisters.

Medusa was killed by Perseus with aid from Athena and Hermes. After Perseus used Medusa's head to kill Phineas, he gave it to Athena, who placed it on her shield, the aegis.

From Medusa's blood sprang two children by Poseidon: Pegasus and Chrysaor.

[size=1.5]text @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medusa_(mythology)[/size]

WolfyJames

"When your stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you."

Nietszche

This is what I have in mind about this card.

Deidrui

Medusa

I have to agree with what everyone posted on this one card. However, even though the word "Jealousy" is used I also sense a loathing. Maybe the word "hatered" is what I am looking for. I also get a sense of coldness from this card.

However, I know this set does not read reversed by some do and I find that if it is reversed it often times lets me know that all is not lost, that some times "jealousy", "hatered" depending on what it is can lead to a good outcome.

December Fairy

The first thing I saw was the glow behind her. Everything is not what you see/think. Making far more out of situation than is really there. You have to let go of the jealousy/hate/envy to find the peace in the situation.

Barbaras Ahajusts

WolfyJames said:
I sometimes see this card as our shadow, the part of us that isn't pretty and that we don't want the others to see. After all, the shock of seeing her is so great that we are transformed into stone. Her existence is feared and denied. She is unloved and kills people who dare looking at her, by looking back at them. She seems to be strong on the card, somewhat emotional and intellectual, in control, a Queen of Swords. But I think it's just on the surface. The Medusa is more fragile than she seems to be and it wouldn't take much to make her fall. Yet, behind all her cruelty, all she wants is love and recognition.
Oh my goodness!
The Queen of Swords discribes The Medusa! Yes..exactly! All she wants is love and recognition!
I can identify with her, now. (Not just the bad hair-do) ;)
Wow...what an insight! Thanks WolfyJames!

Barb