Suits as different "stations" and "positions" of community life in older times?

noby

Suits as different "stations" and "positions" of community life in older times?

I've been working on a little notebook of my own ideas and meanings for the cards, and my own interpretations of traditional meanings assigned to the cards. I've had all the cards out and going through them in order, and most recently have been working with the numbered Minors, after having recently gone through the Court Cards. In doing this, I noticed a trend in each suit that now seems so obvious, I can't believe I didn't notice it before.

:WS :WL :WS Wands represents the adventurers, travelers, diplomats - those that must leave home and community behind to fulfill their duties and purpose in life.

:CS :CL :CS Cups represents love, relationship, family, domesticity - the life and work of the home, the navigation of relationships, child-rearing, domestic activities.

:SS :SL :SS Swords represents the warriors, those who fight to defend their home and community, how they must prepare and act in battle.

:OS :OL :OS Pentacles represents the farmers, the craftsmen, the laborers, those who work within a community and are its main source of life, work, and wealth.

This perspective has allowed me to see some cards in a new light, particularly the Tens - now I see the Tens as the "end of the journey" for an individual in each station.

:T10W Instead of the Ten of Wands being "overburdening," I now also can see it as the adventurer, the traveler, returning home with all he's learned and gathered from his experiences away from home.

:T10C The Ten of Cups is the joyful family and home realized through the fulfillment of a domestic path.

:T10S The Ten of Swords represents the warriors who fall on the battlefield and must give their lives in defense of their homeland, as opposed to those who return to the domestic life of Cups or Pentacles.

:T10P The Ten of Pentacles represents the established home, security, and wealth, the fulfillment of a path of work in service and trade that "brings home the bread."

I assume I'm not the first person here to notice this... any observations on this way of looking at the Minors in the RWS?

Rusty Neon

noby said:
I assume I'm not the first person here to notice this... any observations on this way of looking at the Minors in the RWS?

A similar idea has been in the cartomancy/tarot literature since an article in 1704 by Father Ménestrier, minister of state for Louis XIV, linking the four classes of medieval society to playing card suits.

Paraphrasing from Decker:

Ménestrier's Classes of Medieval Society:

Hearts = Clergy [Cups]
Diamonds = Merchants [Coins]
Clubs = Peasantry [Batons]
Spades = Nobility [Swords]

de Gébelin's themes:

Joy [Cups]
Money [Coins]
Country [Batons]
Sorrow [Swords]

Etteilla's court types:

Religious [Cups]
Materialist [Coins]
Rustic [Batons]
Militant [Swords]

Extracted from: Ronald Decker: _Art and Arcana_, pp. 276 to 277.

noby

Thanks for the links to your perspectives, Paul, and thanks for that interesting information, RustyNeon. Similar ideas, yet all different... the tarot is so wonderfully mutable.

Fulgour

thanks noby

noby said:
I've been working on a little notebook of my own ideas and meanings for the cards, and my own interpretations of traditional meanings assigned to the cards.
Your posts are a very thoughtful and welcome contribution.
If it seems at times that there is less than a desired response,
I know in my case, it may be because of your thoroughness.

The subjects as presented offer a completeness of viewpoint
that to comment upon with observations might seem critical.

My strongest impression is of shared delight at the wonderful
insights and burgeoning awareness displayed in your writing.
I hope you recognize that our appreciation shows this respect.

firemaiden

Very interesting modernization and interpretation of the old "merchant/clergy/famer/warrior" divisions, noby. Thank you for some wonderful food for thought, keep it coming.

AmyV

Noby,

Thank you for such great, practical insight! I particularly love your take on the Tens!

I'm off to re-examine all the minors, in light of what you've said and other fascinating stuff I've read on this excellent part of the forum (that I can't believe I've only just discovered!)

Phoenix Rising

Hi Noby

What a great observation, especially about the 10 of wands. Yes because he is running to a castle in the distance, his home. You have inspired me to lay out my cards too.
Would be interesting to see what else you come up with. Isn't tarot so wonderful, we never ever stop learning from it.

noby

Thank you all so much for all the wonderful support and positive feedback! I'm so glad my ideas are interesting and inspiring to others. My favorite thing about this wonderful forum is getting to share ideas and insights on a specific hobby and interest which doesn't typically get discussed in day-to-day conversation with the people around me, and I assume with the people around many of us. I have found so many inspiring ideas here which have guided me and sparked some of my own, and it makes me really happy to be able to contribute.

Fulgour, thank you for your wonderful response. I am sorry I did not reply to it sooner, somehow I missed it until now. I do sometimes find it disappointing not to get a response, but for the most part, I don't mind. A lot of times I read things I find really illuminating and yet have nothing to say in response, and I don't take it personally when I write something that doesn't get an excessive response. I'm happy just to be able to have a place to share these things at all.

And I know that my obsessive-compulsive tendencies sometimes give me a thorough approach that does not tend to invite responses, and I don't take an absence of feedback as criticism. That said, I don't mind criticism, I actually enjoy a bit of feisty debate. I'm pretty thick-skinned, and have stepped on some toes in the past with my aggressive manner. So if anyone wants to let me really have it, I'm not a fluffy-bunny tenderheart who's gonna run for the Kleenex... ;)

Lemniscus

Crusaders & Pilgrims?

Considering that the first known Tarot cards date to the end of the Crusades, is it possible that the suits represent the belongings of the Crusaders or pilgrims travelling to the Holy Land; a cup for sustenance, a staff for support, a sword for protection and gold coins as a universal currency?