Albano Waite coloring/BOTA directions

Cerulean

On Amazon.com in the reviews for the Albano Waite there was a suggestion the coloring also fits the BOTA coloring directions--(maybe in the Paul Foster Case's Book of Tokens?).

Has anyone experienced with the BOTA directions been able to confirm this? I checked through google some archives from tarot discussion groups and while there was another similar rumor, no one confirmed this was the case.

I've ordered a used Albano Waite and will not be certain until it arrives if it will be a U.S. Games older reprint version or an actual out-of-print, L.A.-based Tarot Productions deck.

And as a side note, there was a used listing that suggested one program for a musical called HAIR also had an Albano Waite tarot card in it...I'm curiously impatient for both the novelty book and the used deck...even just to compare the used Albano deck with my Book of Tokens colored pictures.

Anyone have opinions of the bright, funky Albano Waite?

Cerulean

Vincent

Cerulean said:
On Amazon.com in the reviews for the Albano Waite there was a suggestion the coloring also fits the BOTA coloring directions--(maybe in the Paul Foster Case's Book of Tokens?).

Has anyone experienced with the BOTA directions been able to confirm this? I checked through google some archives from tarot discussion groups and while there was another similar rumor, no one confirmed this was the case.
I'm not sure if there are colouring directions for the Major Arcana. I thought the student was expected to make their own colouring choices as they progressed through the early lessons. I talked to a BOTA student years ago about this, but I may not be remembering correctly. Although, as you say, you would think Case's Book of Tokens would surely be the definitive colour guide.

The Minor Arcana are pip cards, and the colouring instructions for these and the court cards can be found here;
http://www.tarotinstitute.com/free/bota/color.htm
Cerulean said:
Anyone have opinions of the bright, funky Albano Waite?
I can't say I'm too happy with the minor cards, a little too lysergic for me, but then again, I have only seen scans. The Albano Waite takes a lot of liberties with Waite's colour system and also changes some of the symbolism, and therefore meaning, but, as you say it is bright and attractive. I seem to remember some people saying that the line-art was one of the best around (apart from the slight changes), but I haven't ever seen one in the flesh.

I found a side by side comparison here;
http://www.learntarot.com/deckcomp.htm

If you have Case's Book of Tokens, let us know how the Majors compare.

I remember hearing somewhere about the changes made to the colours, and there is supposed to be a system that the author stuck to, though I cannot remember what it is. Perhaps the LWB might enlighten us.

Vincent

Cerulean

I have just received email my 1968 Albano is on it's way.

I'll compare it with U.S. Games facsimile and the Book of Tokens by Paul Foster Case.

Sometimes, the later editions of the U.S. Games facsimiles--the Pierpont Morgan Visconti Tarocchi for one--show a muddier reprint of a reprint, so the colors can change quite noticeably.

Back to the 1968 Albano--no booklet, but the box is original. I found a 3.00 circa 1968 booklet supposedly by Tarot Productions on abebooks.com, so it might be from the Albano publications and help complete my comparisons...thanks to Holly Volley's recent lectures and tarot page on the Albano Waite, I have a good basis of comparison.

Holly's Albano Waite tarot page:

http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/Albano.html

Regards,

Cerulean

Cerulean

The 14th Edition Book of Tokens (First Colored Editions)

The book does not name the artist and suggests it is not the definitive or final say of coloring: but to mine eyes, someone really did like the Albano Waite coloring enough to also have this illustrated version in the book have a similar look and feel of the Albano Waite.

I'm looking at a facsimile edition from U.S. Games at the moment, but have a 1968 version of the Albano Waite coming soon, I hope.

I noticed the BOTA does have subtle variations as well as older designs in its cards of the Sun and Death--Oswald Wirth and Italian designs have twins in the Sun and Skeletal Grim Reaper for Death.

I am eager to check the 1968 pamphlet and 1968 deck coming to me...

Regards,

Cerulean

Scion

Cerulean said:
Has anyone experienced with the BOTA directions been able to confirm this?
Cerulean

Cerulean, still very much interestded on what you can dig out about the BOTA coloring directives... Any new info on that front?

Scion

Cerulean

The BOTA directions are the same for the trumps/courts

Color scheme seems the same for the Frankie Albano cards. The large card directions were available on abebooks.com and a separate deck of small cards, but never was able to get a set that had the small instructions--so no color commentary originally from Frankie Albano as far as I recall...let me refresh my looks at this tonight.

I found it interesting. I may be able obtain an actual Albano deck with original directions for the small cards, but it's still pending.

Regards,

Cerulean

Cerulean

Colors in Majors

1. The Majors colored in the "First Color Edition" of the Book of Tokens have variations in the type of light blue or dark blue to the Albano Waite of 1968, but the main colors are the same.

2) Highlights of the Tarot with Coloring Instructions from BOTA is a yellow pamphlet and I have the 13th edition of 1984, with the beginning copyright of 1931 from the "School of Ageless Wisdom". The major arcana color keys are pages 52-63 and students will find what to color gray, yellow-green, indigo, etc.

3) In Frankie Albano's Tarot Instructions for the large pack (I only have the instructions, not the large cards), there's only a brief mention of brief coloring for the suits, no color keys for the majors or courts. The paragraphs justify the use o blue background for the cups to symbolize water; orange for the wands to symbolize fire; pale yellow for swords symbolizes air and green for pentacles symbolizes earth.

That is all I have among the two different publication groups for color. But I find it an interesting "West Coast or Los Angeles variation" 1960's meld of the Rider Waite!

Regards,

Cerulean

Rusty Neon

Thanks for the info, Mari! This is fascinating. In keeping with my 1960s to 1980s bent of late, I've started to be really want to add the Albano deck to my stable. It strikes me as one of the paradigm hippie decks. That it follows the BOTA colouring guidelines makes it all the more interesting.

Obviously, the BOTA deck's numbered minor arcana cards were non-scenic. So, BOTA could only be used by Albano for background perhaps. Anybody have any idea how Albano may have decided what colour scheme to use for the individual details of the scenic images themselves?

Rusty Neon

Mari ... That's a fascinating link. Thanks.