Professional Readers: A Thread on Acquiring Clients

TemperanceAngel

And how does one go about it?

I thought it would be great to hear peoples tips and stories!

OK, so there's friends sending their friends.
My hairdresser has over 200 clients on her books and tells them about me.

BUT I wonder as someone who has read at Fairs, Shops and Home (these are all professional readings: ie for money, it's my job kinda thing...)

What do you do when reading from home?

How do you feel about advertising when you know complete strangers will come?

Do you trust in the Universe to provide for you?

Do you advertise in magazines or newspapers?

Anything else?

Looking forward to responses!

jmd

well..... there's advertising at Tarot Café (;)).

I have not read from home for many years, but one thing that I did when I did (if that makes sense) is that I was very clear as to when I would read from home (eg, Mon and Thur evenings, 5-8:30), and strictly limit it at that.

If I was a woman, and I lived in an area or perhaps was more insecure about potential clients, I would maybe only organise those times when I also knew that a friend/partner/husband was going to be at home (so it would be a two-person commitment).

To generate readings for those allocated times, I would also ensure that I was actually working with the cards during that time, even if no clients were there - this sets the routine and sows seeds that this time is set for readings.

Given that you're in Melbourne, I would also put out little notices in various milk-bars and bookshops on their notice boards, and some supermarkets also have notice boards.

....and of course, the Vict. edition of Living Now.

TemperanceAngel

jmd said:
To generate readings for those allocated times, I would also ensure that I was actually working with the cards during that time, even if no clients were there - this sets the routine and sows seeds that this time is set for readings.
Now that's a great piece of soundly advice....

As for the Living Now, that mag and I have never connected, in fact that's where all the loopers came from last time I read from home....

Sophie

jmd said:
If I was a woman, and I lived in an area or perhaps was more insecure about potential clients, I would maybe only organise those times when I also knew that a friend/partner/husband was going to be at home (so it would be a two-person commitment).

I've been wanting to extend my reading practice - not necessarily for money (thogh I won't turn it down!) - but because I need more confrontation with other people, and especially, with people Idon't know. I tend only to read for myself and people I know, and I feel my reading is stagnating a bit. I live alone, however, and am reluctant to have strangers come to my house, or to go to theirs. I know it can be like home teaching ;) and most querents are fine, but tarot can also attract some weirdos. So I'm not sure what to do. Switzerland has some occasional fairs, like once or twice a years, and people who set up stalls there are all professionals. I wouldn't call myself that. Just an honest traveller.

jmd said:

Oh, that's good! But I wouldn't do readings for myself during that time, I think it might influence me too much in reading for others.

Moongold

I am thinking about this, somewhat nervously. I'd love to read face to face and have set myself six months to do it.

I thought I would reseach the local markets and perhaps read for a local charity first. i.e. - anything I make will go to them. There is an ulterior motive here. People might see it as a good way of giving donations to charity - they get something in return - and if I do a good job I get known by word of mouth.

Have had a conversation with local neighbourhood hose as well. Same approach.

Sophie

Moongold said:
I thought I would reseach the local markets and perhaps read for a local charity first. i.e. - anything I make will go to them. There is an ulterior motive here. People might see it as a good way of giving donations to charity - they get something in return - and if I do a good job I get known by word of mouth.

What a great idea! I might do the same. Not Caritas or Christian Aid, though ;)

poivre

I have been to a house party where they had two readers come in and
it was a get together. Everyone got a reading while the rest of us
just had fun talking and eating.

I went to a women's group meeting one time and they wanted to know
about numbers and cards. I told them about their day of birth number and
let them all pick a card. I explained their card to them and then put all
their picked cards together and did a reading for them as a group.

We are having a "Taste of Services" in January. At a salon they are having
clients come in and have 15 minutes with each person.
They will receive knowledge & products about
~what products to use on their hair and why (hairstylist)
~hand massage (manicurist)
~neck massage ( massage employee)
~card reading (Me! LOL)
We are booking people in groups of 4 so they will all start at the same time
and move every 15 minutes to the next person. In one hour the first group
will be done and then we have a 15 minute break and move on to the next
group of 4. There is a receptionist also. We charge $20. per person and have
one day of bookings prepaid already.

I find you have to "offer your services" or people do not know what you
have to offer or where you are.People really are interested if you are confident and show you are sincere with what you are doing. Just do
anything to get yourself & your gift out there. Smile, be compassionate and
joke with them if you can.

One other thing
~~~Never let them know your nervous & be honest ~~~
(whatever you are doing!)

Umbrae

Either print up business cards or a brochure (or both) on your computer.

(I prefer business cards) and make sure that every person you read for gets one after the reading.

I suggest never reading at your home (except for established clients).

Keep a list of clients (gather as much personal Name address and phone number stuff as you can). Difficult reading? Call them in six weeks to see how they are doing…

Your follow-ups, and handing out cards will go far.

Word of mouth referrals are the best key to your success…they provide good qualified clients. Cards and follow-ups…that’s what helps generate referrals.

Ace

I agree: business cards are very important. They travel all over. Make them as nice as you can. I have a photo card and it is too nice to throw away. They turn up in the darnest places!

Also: read some books on business and entrepeneurship. Many of the issues we need to know as working readers are also true in other professions.

gypsy

i'm not a professional yet, but i'm going through the process of becoming one. here's my plan: i have a friend working on brochures and business cards for me. i'm also working on a website, which is pretty much an online version of the brochure, with my email and phone number, though i don't plan (at this point) to do readings online or over the phone. that may come later.

i plan to meet clients in public places, like coffeehouses, until i feel comfortable enough to invite them to my home. even then, only when my husband is home.

i'm also thinking about going to local businesses like bookshops and teahouses and asking about "renting" space for 10% of my profits.

and for now, i'm reading (for free) for my friends and co-workers and their friends and siblings etc etc and i haven't decided when would be a good time to actually start charging! for now, i feel that the experience of reading for people i don't know is so valuable that it's worth my time to do it for free.

and i appreciate everyone's stories and advice! everyone here is so helpful... :)