Numerology Year Cycle Question

WhiteRaven

I've been trying to figure out how my year has coincided with the Tarot card that goes with it. I'm in my 11th year - Justice and going in my Hanged Man year, which is suppose to be a horrible year according to another ongoing thread somewhere else in the forum. Now, in my mind, things can't get any worse than they already are for me THIS year...in the "Justice" year. So I was wondering how these calculations come about.

I did an experiment. I took my day and month of birth and then the year I was born. I added that up and it reduced to "7". So, in my mind, I was born in the "7th" cycle...then I trudged forward, beginning with "7" and now, in 2004, I would be in the "Empress" year...which STILL doesn't make any sense. I'm hoping because my life is such a mess NOW...that when I get into the "Hanged Man" year that usually everyone is apprehensive about, that it will be the "flip-side" for me and I will actually be able to breathe....

But back to the experiment I did...has anyone tried this?

Even if I had started at "0" = The Fool at birth..I still don't arrive at "Justice" for this year. I arrive at "18" "The Moon" and would be going into the "Sun" this coming January...

I think I'm tearing this apart because I'm very apprehensive about this "Hanged Man" year coming up....:(

WhiteRaven

Well this got moved without me knowing..lol

btw..I DO know how to calculate this properly...or rather the "standard" way...I was just playing with the assumption that I'm in the WRONG cycle because it makes no sense to me...

Moongold

WhiteRaven ~

There are different systems for working lifetime cards. The one that is most commonly used is the Angeles Arriens system promoted by Mary Greer in her book Tarot Constellations . It is based on birthdates, as you are aware. Umbrae and others have alternate systems which you may like to investigate

The Hebrew letter for Hanged Man is Mem meaning seas or water. Some Hanged Man images (Ancestral Path and Tarot of the Sephiroth) have the Hanged Man appear in a womb. This is quite a beautiful image and can mean simply rediscovering many things, an inner and outer nurturing. So one thing you could do is a gentle program of looking after yourself, perhaps looking at where you are now in your life and if there are any things you need to let go. It can also mean that you dissolve into the oneness of life, feel more at ease with humanity generally.

Why not meditate on the card and see the positive things and think of how you may incorporate those things into your life? Mary Greer comments that the Hanged Man year can be a year “……of mystical isolation as a ritual of purification……”. This interpretation sort of fits with the above paragraph

So it can be a matter of perception. Apprehension might be self-fulfilling. And if it makes no sense it might be good to stay with it because it may mean there is something that you are not seeing :).

All the best ~

other

WhiteRaven said:
I think I'm tearing this apart because I'm very apprehensive about this "Hanged Man" year coming up....:(

I fear that some of us talking back and forth about our terrible Hanged Man years has perhaps stirred terror in others approaching their own HM year!

I do think that the HM year demands a lot of us...for the good of us. It is about change, facing up to problems, patterns, issues. And, yes, about letting so that you can move forward. Others have associated the HM year with sacrifice. But this doesn't have to be painful or bad! Perhaps others out there have started families in their HM year -- very happy thing! Lots of change, sacrifice, etc.

I think if you're honest with yourself -- and have a respectful relationship with yourself -- you'll make it a productive, positive year. ;)

WhiteRaven

other said:
I fear that some of us talking back and forth about our terrible Hanged Man years has perhaps stirred terror in others approaching their own HM year!

I do think that the HM year demands a lot of us...for the good of us. It is about change, facing up to problems, patterns, issues. And, yes, about letting so that you can move forward. Others have associated the HM year with sacrifice. But this doesn't have to be painful or bad! Perhaps others out there have started families in their HM year -- very happy thing! Lots of change, sacrifice, etc.

I think if you're honest with yourself -- and have a respectful relationship with yourself -- you'll make it a productive, positive year. ;)

The problem is...I feel that this is happening THIS year and it's been like that all year long...so what the heck I'm I do expect next year when it's the "real" Hanged Man year?

WalesWoman

Hang In There...figure out your hang ups...or since you already feel you are in the Hanged Man position...it will appear to the rest of the world you are just like them...

Look at it this way...you can finally get rid of all the lint in the bottom of your pockets.

RedMaple

WalesWoman said:
Look at it this way...you can finally get rid of all the lint in the bottom of your pockets.

Oh, yes, that is so true!! I just finished discussing my Hanged Man's year on the other thread, and a lot of lint was definitely turned out during that time.

Umbrae

Dear Jo-Ann (WhiteRaven);

As you perhaps already know, I do kinda do things a tad different…

Justice following Hanged-Man? Only if you use a post 1909 deck.

But we really need to examine the Calendar, before we can examine Numerology.

In the Third century BC, Eratosthenese observed (at noon on the summer solstice) that the sun illuminated the bottom of a well in Aswan (on the Tropic of Cancer) as it crossed the meridian; but in Alexandria (500± miles north) shadows were cast by the sun at high noon. He reasoned that this was due to the curvature of the earth – concluding that it was spherical. By double measurement of the arc of the meridian between the two places in degrees and stadia, Eratosthenes determined the circumference of the earth to be 252,000 stadia (Columbus was using Eratosthenese works when he sailed in 1492 which lead to his conclusion that he had indeed found India…but he could not reconcile (or admit he was wrong) that India just wasn’t there…he was off by just a few miles). It was not until 1669 that Jean Picard computed the circumference of the earth to 24,500 miles, accurate but still off.

We had the Ptolemaic Theory, (Claudius Ptolemy used the works of Psoidonius (130-51 BC) to determine the earths circumference to be 180,000 stadia) placing the earth at the center of the solar system. This was refuted in 1543 by the publication of De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium by Nicolaus Copernicus who ‘proved’ the Heliocentric theory first championed by Aristarchus of Samos ( 4th century BC?).

Then we had the calendar systems…The Julian calendar was used and accepted by Europeans after the heyday of the Roman Empire. They dickered around about when Christ was born (using that event as a starting point, I think they should use the birth of Ty Cobb myself). Around 1614, Johannes Kepler decided to (Kepler proved much of Tycho Brahe’s work to be archaic, Newton did the same to Kepler, who in turn was refuted by Leverrier, and everyone fell to Einstein) place Christ’s birth at 4 B.C.E. Recently they decided that Kepler was off and the J.C. was born in 6 B.C.E. (but they don’t say if they count year 0 or not…).

But the equinox kept falling behind, on the calendar one full day every 130 years.

By the 1500’s, the spring equinox was all the way back to early March.

This was a dreadful situation…

How can we celebrate Easter without ‘knowing’?

So the pope decided to mandate a working calendar. 1582 was the year that Pope Gregory XIII ordered ten days to be dropped from the calendar…so that the equinox (vernal) was on March 20th, as it had been during the time of the Council of Nicea (now there is a historical event worth your while to research…woooo hooo!).

Also “New Years” was moved from March 31st, to January 1st. Leap years were added.

Most European nations adopted the Gregorian reform, with the exception of England and its Colonies, which held out until 1752. At that time, 11 days had to be cut from their calendar.

Now the first Chronometer was not invented until 1660 by Christian Huygens. So until that time – time could not be accurately measured, and longitude was guesswork.

You see in celestial navigation…Latitude is easy. You take a reading from heavenly bodies. But Longitude my friends, is difficult. You are moving, on a moving body, sighting other moving bodies and attempting to justify relative locations. Now if you know how fast you are moving and for how long (time measurement), you can guestimate approximate location.

Worse yet…this all assumes a Eurocentric system. Not a Judaic or Arabic system, and since J.C. was not European…

So if the death and resurrection of J.C. is fixed to the Lunar calendar (first full moon etc.), how come the birth is fixed to the Solar calendar (3 days after the Winter Solstice).

Now anyone worth their weight in salt knows that in the ‘Holy Land’ you don’t tend your flocks in the mountains in December, also in an agrarian society, you do not pay taxes in the middle of winter, you pay after the harvest.

Anyway…here’s the nut…!

What is Numerology based on?

An un-rectified Julian or Gregorian calendar?

It all assumes that the birth date of old J.C. being accurate was year 1 (AD). But that was refuted in 1614 by Kepler…and now they believe he was off by a couple of years…

BTW: and if you aren’t hep to the Council of Nicia…you really do need to check it out. Do a google on the Nestorians.

Where is the all going?

I mean seriously…the current Gregorian calendar was based upon Ecclesiastical convenience – not fact. And if it was ‘agreed’ that JC was born in 4 B.C. then all numerological studies would be off by at least five digits (since the year 0 is not counted).

So numerology…and Personality, soul, and year cards…they would be based upon myth…

And if Myth is more powerful than truth…

Is it unfair for us to tweak our own numerological systems?

Just a question…

Vast portions plagiarized from prior posts of my own. Research is from The Practical American Navigator by Nathaniel Bowditch, the History Channel, The Learning Channel, Internet sources, and so on and so forth.…

Further…why do folks change their year cards when they change their calendars? It’s not like your ‘life’ suddenly changes on December 31, 2004.

Now on and around your birthday…That’s when major cycle changes occur in your life.

The Calendar as we know it…is Eurocentric, based upon a Semitic mythos.

Do we change our numerology when reading for Indians? Jews? Muslims? Chinese? Japanese? Native Americans? Mayans?

No. Indeed we go off about the vibrational qualities of the numbers blah blah blah…

We have however, created and immersed ourselves into a culture that honors and elevates the decade. This is fine in my opinion. There is the Pythagorean Decad and the Sephiroth… We center our lives around 10’s, counting our years (“…in my thirties”).

I use a 100-year cultural cycle as opposed to a 2000 Christian cycle.

I only use the last two digits of the four-digit year. Our culture tells us (because we created it) that we live in “Oh-Four” and it’s about to turn “Oh-Five”. Remember the Hoopla over turning from Ninety-Nine to TWO THOUSAND…we went from a two-digit year to a four-digit year and then back to a two-digit year. We really have to listen to our own self-talk, and the talk around us to really get a grip on this concept…

If you don’t get up every morning and say…”Wow, it’s the twenty-first day of the twelfth month in the year of our Lord and Savior Jesus Kristos Two thousand and four…” then you live in a centennial, decade modality.

I only use the last two digits of the year; so it’s based on a 100-year cultural cycle as opposed to a 2000 Christian cycle. I have found it far more accurate than using the entire four-digit year, and I’m basing this on thirty years of active reading.

I figure year cycles based on decades – figured from your last birthday.

If a number comes out to double digits, reduce this to a single digit.

Let’s suppose your birthday is on March 4th.

March is the 3rd month. The fourth is the 4th day. 3+4=7.

Add digits of the year you had your last birthday (not the current year), (let us imagine it is currently winter of 2004. Your last birthday was spring of 2004, so your year to add is a 4-year. 7+4 = 11. and of course 1+1=2. It is a TWO year, not an Eleven. It equates to TWO’s, and perhaps Chockmah (second Sephiroah), and not as a part of the Major Arcana (Eleven).

Only when people are trying to ‘fit’ numerology into the Major Arcana do people come up with double digits; an attempt to reconcile dissimilar systems…

But that’s my opinon…based on my understanding of the calendar…

Now the pressures of a Two-year (relationships and possibilities of relationships – and the suppression of ego in and around those possibilities) can most certainly be seen as a Hanged-Man time or our lives.

WhiteRaven

Thank you Umbrae for posting your explaination....and it makes much more sense to me this being because if I am to use your method I would come up with "9" and going into "1", if I were to associate with the Tarot I would be going into the WOF year.

January 13

1 + 1 + 3 + 4 = "9"
If I would coincide this it would be Hermit...which is much of what I've been doing this year.

Thanks again Umbrae! Ah the "teacher" strikes again :)

other

WhiteRaven said:
The problem is...I feel that this is happening THIS year and it's been like that all year long...so what the heck I'm I do expect next year when it's the "real" Hanged Man year?

I'm not just saying this to be positive and upbeat -- I'm far more direct than that -- but I think you are actually very lucky b/c whatever you're going through this year is preparing you better for your potential HM year. You might not be able to avoid being "strung up," as it were, but I think you might be able to make it a shorter hanging!!! I needed that willingness and awareness earlier in my HM year -- little did I know I did NOT have to spend the entire year like that. Rather, I had to open my eyes a little wider and be more accepting of the sometimes difficult things I was learning about myself. Willingness to hear and see and feel what's going on around you and inside you goes a long way in the HM year -- in ANY year.

I'm not sure what thread I saw this in, but somebody said you can also interpret your year card from birthday to birthday, as opposed to Jan. 1st to Dec. 31st.