Ace d'Epées (Swords) - how may it be read?

jmd

Given that this card has already been mentioned a number of times in the three Swords thread, I thought I'd better also let it speak now!

Impatient card.

Paul

King Arthur (from The Painted Caravan), Political Strength, Challenge, Determination, Public Ceremonies, Positive Receptions, Official Matters, Political & Civic Obligations, Profitable Effort, Charisma, New Solution, Intelligent Plans, Cleverness, Mindfulness.

Etteilla found it to be an adjective, meaning "very, extraordinary, much".

English cartomancy associates it with "good conclusion," which is interesting for an Ace, normally associated with beginnings. Otherwise, it is malice, bad fortune, Icky stuff, depending on which way you swing (upright or reversed).

firemaiden

I like this card :D

I relate the Ace of Swords to the Lightening striking the Maison Dieu - to the crack of light, to the moment of enlightenment, to the Lichtspaltung, the CRACK between worlds.... a good card, a magic card, a magic zap, a jump from one state to another, a KAZAM...

Sophie

I think of Alexander's sword when he cut the Gordian knot. A card to help slice through the crap. But there is also the sword of Damocles, a threat that weighs on us, hangs over us.

L'as des Epées can help focus the mind before an endeavour. Time to attack -the sword is ready. In sexual terms, it is the time of conquest, before consummation.

Famous single swords in legend and literature can help us with some of the interpretations of this extraordinary card:

- Excalibur, King Arthur's sword, the One sword to help victory; a "good" sword. A sword to accompany us in all our endeavours, a talisman (mental or actual).
- Durendal, Roland's sword - used against the Saracens, a symbol of bravery and virtue, in the face of impossible odds, it was saved from the infidels by divine intervention when Roland died. Facing up to a huge threat with courage. Spiritual aid in a time of need.
- Murgleis, the sword of Ganelon, cousin of Roland whom he betrayed out of jealousy. False idea, aggression, illusion of victory, unreasonable anger.
- Joyeuse, the sword of Charlemagne, which blinded enemies with its lustre; it protected its owner from poisoning. As d'Epées as a Protection.
- Naegling, one of the swords of Beowulf - with which he killed the dragon. Facing one's fears; applying a swift and courageous solution to a monstrous problem.
- Tizona and Colada, the swords of El Cid, who fought the Moors in Spain - El Cid took Tizona from King Baucar, and was buried with it. Aggressive strength to fight a perceived occupier; the end justifying the means.
- Curtana, Edward the Confessor's sword, a sword without a point, to render justice. As d'Epées as Justice's symbol - clear and down the line. Giving or receiving judgement. A symbol of law.
- the sword of virtue that Tristan and Iseult placed between them to fool King Marc. On one level their adulterous love was not sinful, because it was the result of a love philtre, and so completely overwhelming - that single sword is an innocent accomplice, laid to rest to protect love rather than fight. On another, that sword can blind (with too much intellect, or aggression), as much as reveal. It is a lying sword.

tmgrl2

Love the references, Helvetica!

Yes, the Ace of Swords...the hand enters into the card facing our right....with the palm inward.

Offering us the sword of intellect the sword to act in the service of mental tasks and the sword that shall elevate the spirit.

We are offered what we need, but again we must fight the good fight, put in the footwork, put forth the effort.

Active force coming through...we can be capable of persuasiveness. Nothing mediocre here. Richness of spirit, sense of justice, internal strength guided by strong convictions.

Right is might....Ride on Lancelot.

Depending upon placement of card: tyranny?
verbal agressiveness? errors of judgment? corrupt ideas?

Sophie

That disembodied hand holding the sword to us reminds me of those legends where a sword appears magically at the hour of need: it can illustrate how we find our ressources - mental, spiritual, but also ressources to fight - almost by magic when we need them most.

tmgrl- right is might - thanks for the reminder, oh yes!

Moonbow

In a reading I would see this card as an important celebration, perhaps even a wedding. The two sprigs of foliage in the crown show one with berries and the other dying (to me). The sword is a symbol of power authority and courage and here it has pierced the crown and released a shower of leaves or petals, therefore meaning a festivity, joy, fanfare and freedom.

It could also mean the release of thoughts and ideas......... :)

Sophie

Moonbow* said:
In a reading I would see this card as an important celebration, perhaps even a wedding. The two sprigs of foliage in the crown show one with berries and the other dying (to me). The sword is a symbol of power authority and courage and here it has pierced the crown and released a shower of leaves or petals, therefore meaning a festivity, joy, fanfare and freedom.

I like that, although I have never thought of associating swords with weddings. On the other hand, at military weddings, they do a guard of honour, a tunnel of swords for the bride and groom to pass under. Note the association between swords, honour, and marriage.

That crown could be that of Charlemagne, or Arthur. They both won and kept their kingdoms with the help of their legendary swords. So in a reading - we earn what we own ourselves, we must do what we can and what is just to keep it, but we can be helped (by Merlin, by God). There is a strong spiritual association with the crown and the sword throughout European literature - God protects his annointed, and guides him to justice. In exchange for the king's virtue and justice, symbolised by his magic sword, God grants him power. In no way should "the king" - a querent in a position of authority, for example - abuse that power.

Moonbow

Thanks Helvetica

I was also thinking of royal ceremonies while writing the post, but how they would come up in a reading I don't know! But the sword is used in the ceremony to Knight people, for coronations and at royal weddings.

Although a symbol of power and warfare, it seems to be a respected implement for celebrations also.

Sophie

Moonbow* said:
Although a symbol of power and warfare, it seems to be a respected implement for celebrations also.

Yes, you are right! In court of law it was symbolic and ceremonial. And the use of the ceremonial sword for the nobility was in use until relatively recently - and at big dos (like royal weddings, I imagine) still in use!

In fact, without going as posh as royal weddings, I remember a wedding I attended a few years ago - a friend of mine married an officer of the British Army. I had a couple of dances with the best man, and his sword came mightily in the way! (so much so that I was not sure if he was happy to see me or was that a huge sword dangling ;))