La Roue de Fortune - how may it be read?

jmd

At times, this card speaks to me of a need to turn inwards, and therein allow the changes to take their due course.

The wheel of the world continues to turn, and Karma presents each of us with new situations on our ever altering journeys.

There is no hand that holds the wheel. Rather, it turns of its own accord as the characters thereon shift their respective weights: a move of even a finger or paw or tail has its ramifications.

Attached is a copy of the Chosson Wheel...

Attachments

• X Chosson.jpg
    X Chosson.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 395

Rusty Neon

jmd said:
There is no hand that holds the wheel. Rather, it turns of its own accord as the characters thereon shift their respective weights: a move of even a finger or paw or tail has its ramifications.

Looking at the Queen of Coins card and the Wheel card side by side, I can feel that sometimes the Queen of Coins - with her circular Denier in hand, reminiscent of the Wheel - is Lady Fate, turning the wheel of fortune.

Moonbow

One animal is trying to scrabble up the wheel to reach where he wants to be, he is focussed on his intent, and unable to listen to advise from others. Another animal is looking ahead at the reader and to me want to jump off before he falls. The animal at the top is content and relaxed. This can represent our feelings, and the way they can change from contentment to desperation (and anything in between) just by the turn of the wheel of fate.

In a reading it could be telling us to assess a situation before it changes, to pull ourselves out of a situation that we aren't happy to be in. Perhaps also that we should use our intelligence and instinctive qualities in order to balance our lives. Or to be aware that we never really know what is just around the corner so to enjoy the moment. Alternatively, that we should work at where we want to be before the oportunity vanishes.

tmgrl2

I tend to see the Wheel as Karmic....what goes around, comes around....this then carries the implication that for each deed we do there is a karmic effect that asks for another deed to set things in balance.

Also, I feel that it stands for those things that come to us in life that we may consider "lucky" or "unlucky" but over which we have no control. So, then, I ask myself to picture myself in the center of the wheel, so that no matter what comes my way, I am "centered," neither too elated with good fortune, nor dragged down by misfortune.

I can't always choose what happens but I can choose how I behave in reaction to events.

Evolution.

Cycles of life...time to reap...time to sow....

Need for balance, lest agitation, stagnation, regression take over.

terri

stella01904

MM ~ You have an animal ascending, an animal descending (oh, noooo! oh, dear...) , and that fool sphinx monkey on top with his crown and sword - does he think he is going to be there forever? It's a card that says "every dog has his day", basically, and the consultant is going to "get lucky" but this is a very impermanent condition! Grab the brass ring, strike while the iron is hot. On a more spiritual level, Joseph Campbell I believe has defined it as meaning that at the center, the still point, you don't get "ups and downs". Find the center, the hub of the wheel where you are just observing...BB, Stella

kwaw

The wheel is of the rise and fall of kings, who shall reign, who reign, who did reign [in older decks also who have no reign]. It correspondends to the four kings of the suits and the four cardinal directions; but more importantly to the four cardinal points of the Sun, in its rising and setting, at its height and [unshown in Marseille because below the earth and thus unseen, invisible] its nadir.

Assuming a 1:1 correspondence with the sequence of the Hebrew alphabet, with alef as fool, then the Wheel of Fortune corresponds to the letter Kaph, which is attributed in the Sefer Yetzira to the Sun.

The Sun and Wheel:
http://212.67.202.29/~cichw/sun7.html

Kwaw