two of swords

Cascade

I'm really new at studying the cards,and I haven't found any other reference to it, but it looks to me like the person on the two of swords is peeking out from under the blindfold. Or might this just be a personal interpretation?

Skydancer

Hi Cascade!
It does seem like she's peeking, doesn't it! I think how you see this card depends on the reading at the time. Sometimes it will appear this way to you, and fit in with your reading/question, and other times it will seem very tight and very hindering to sight.

Nice to have you on the board! Welcome!
And yes, you were right; it IS a personal interpretation! :)

*S*

caridwen

Cascade said:
I'm really new at studying the cards,and I haven't found any other reference to it, but it looks to me like the person on the two of swords is peeking out from under the blindfold. Or might this just be a personal interpretation?

I understand what you mean as her eyes are just visible. Although I'd hazard a guess that those eyes are firmly shut. She probably doesn't need the blindfold as she really doesn't want to see, for the moment. Maybe it exemplifies her insistence on not looking. A bit dramatic...

Fulgour

peek-a-boo

If you were to draw two dots on the blindfold at where
her eyes would be, and then really look, you can see
that they would be way too high. That's just one thing.

Look at the Swords: they're massive, impossibly huge!
And then that block she's "sitting" on, I don't think so.
You could slide it away and she would just be floating.

caridwen

Fulgour said:
If you were to draw two dots on the blindfold at where
her eyes would be, and then really look, you can see
that they would be way too high. That's just one thing.

Look at the Swords: they're massive, impossibly huge!
And then that block she's "sitting" on, I don't think so.
You could slide it away and she would just be floating.

Still don't know if this is a woman or not. It's androgynous shall we say which fits very well with the idea of balance.

Yes, those swords are WAY to big and it would take enormous physical strength to keep them poised in that way. They remind me of lances used for jousting, which was a staged event. A spectator sport.

Maybe he is a knight getting ready for a jousting tournament? In those times they did wear long white night shirts...The eve before the event.

She/He sits on a block but we only see the front - one side of the picture/problem etc. A half cube usually represents the visual side of something. A contradiction perhaps? Limitation. Limited perspective. A SHOW of inner tranquility/inner vison...

Fulgour

Elusive Reality

The big hands and thick neck do appear mannish,
but not the hips. If she/he stood up it'd be plainer.

By the same token, turn the card, as is, sideways.
You'll see a big space between her and the block.

caridwen

Fulgour said:
The big hands and thick neck do appear mannish,
but not the hips. If she/he stood up it'd be plainer.

By the same token, turn the card, as is, sideways.
You'll see a big space between her and the block.

But have you seen the hips on the King of Swords? And he always reminds me of a woman - his face if very feminine.

She/He - rather than hovering could be about to rise or sit down.

Now I'm thinking of one those circus acts - you know with spinning plates or swallowing swords. Blindfolded to add the extra excitement. It would be quite a feat if he/she stood up and managed to retain that perfect poise.

Actually - I've just looked again at the hips and the figure is rather mannish. I think it looks as though the figure has large hips because of the perspective and the bunching of the robe.

Fulgour

caridwen said:
But have you seen the hips on the King of Swords? And he
always reminds me of a woman - his face if very feminine.
Pamela Colman Smith was an Aquarius.
February 16, 1878. Let's bake a cake!

caridwen

Fulgour said:
Pamela Colman Smith was an Aquarius.
February 16, 1878. Let's bake a cake!

ay?? You've lost me there Fulgour...

I've just made a discovery!!!!!!!!!

Look at the swords in the hands of the King and Queen, also the Ace. You'll notice that they are relatively in proportion and normal sized.

Then look at the swords of the Two - HUGE - aren't they. Look at the Ten and the Eight - massive things.

Since the Swords deal with the mind - how about getting things totally out of proportion. Look at the Nine - again huge. The problems associated with these numbers are made bigger by confusion, mental ill health, physical ill health, lack of clarity and perspective. This is reflected in the size of the swords.

I'm sure it's not new but it's new to me nevertheless - let's bake ME a cake!;)

Also, the Two must be about inner versus outer appearance because the swords are totally out of proportion. It LOOKS like there is balance, but there can't be. The balance is only of surface value. Hence the staging and appearance of the card - it's all a SHOW. The blindfold is for effect. It serves no purpose because their mind is closed as are their eyes.

I've just re read my post - look at the exclamation marks - they look just like little swords....