Ouija experiences

The Dreamer

I almost bought the round Talking Spirit board a few years back when I was first looking for a board to use. It's very attractive.

gargoyle guarded- you didn't mention what kind of experiences you've had using your board.

gargoyle_guarded

you're right, I didn't and only for the sake of it would take too long to mention them all. But I can tell you the board works, and works well. That is if you take it seriously, treat it with respect, and don't go looking for trouble. If it's trouble you seek, it is trouble you will find.

tinkerbell

ouija boards!..........

i have 2 boards.
the first board i just had to buy.
i got it from "portals to the beyond" which i came accross on the internet.
as they're an american company and i chose a full size board and planchette with velvet covers for both, the final cost with shipping was a bit of a shock!
still it's a beautiful board. i think it was called the leviathan.it's a beautifully painted ship in the moonlight.the attention to detail is awesome.
i've only (tried) to use it once. i was by myself so it didn't work. my experience of the ouija is that you need at least 2 people to get a good response. i don't regret buying it but my feelings about the safety of ouija change constantly- sometimes i'm not worried othertimes i wonder why i ever bought it!( well after spending so much, it seems a shame for it to just sit in the wardrobe!)
my other board is "the psychic circle" which was mentioned here earlier. i paid just 3 quid for this one as it had a remainder mark on the box.
again, i've tried to use this alone but no luck. i also took it to my sisters flat and 3 (out of the 4 of us!) tried to use it . sadly it didn't work that time either.
when i was younger myself and a friend used to make our own board from a glass, mirror,and bits of paper. we had great success with this and used to do it A LOT. we were very stupid though and used to think we were clever because we used to recite the lords' prayer backwards before we asked "if there was anybody there".( i shudder to think of this now.
the "friend" in question suddenly became very hostile to me for no apparent reason. in fact she became VERY hateful- almost as if her personality changed overnight. i often wonder if she became possessed by some spirit we called up who leeched off her energy.
she's still a hateful little b**** now-i'm lucky she moved away from me!
i would say- use the protection circle/rituals and always speak to spirits with respect--it dosen't do to wind them up-you don't know what might happen.
my 1st experience of the ouija was when i was 14 or 15 with a group of girlfriends. we didn't take it seriously but toyed with the spirit until the glass spun round and round wildly and then smashed--i'm not ashamed to admit that i was so terrified i wet myself!!
i'b be livid if i ever found out my kids did this at the same age-(hypocritical i know). if they showed an interest who knows......i may just be tempted to take one of my own boards out........ (but the kids would have to be at least 18!)
wow- i'm finding reading all your experiences really interesting.fab thread-more please!!!!
love
tink xx

stella01904

MM ~ I got a Ouija BOX from Portals To The Beyond! It's got a gorgeous picture of a Victorian house under a huge full moon on the miniature Ouija board on the lid. I stained the wood a little darker and woodburned some sigils on the sides. I love that box and I keep my favorite small oracle decks in there, as well as my pendulum, a crystal mala and some dragon's blood incense, which makes everything smell just wonderful. But I still can't get the darned planchette to move. BB, Stella

Free Flight

Hi EricTheHermit,
How are you? Interesting thread. I have to chime in with my ten cents worth and say that ouiji boards scare the hell outta me. I believe they should be approached with respect and caution and as someone else mentioned only when a protective prayer has been said.
I believe in God and I believe in the spirit world, karma, reincarnation, good and evil. That being said I do, however know that there are a lot of things I don't know nor understand about the spiritual world. When you connect to the board you can be answered by anyone on the other side who hears you. Sometimes you can be answered by something good and sometimes by something not so good.
It certainly sounds like you are psychic and you seem to have that rare quality which merges the scientific and the irrational into coherency, but despite this I would warn against the meddling with things we don't understand. There are too many horror stories out there for them not to be true. I have never touched a ouiji board. My mum played with one as a youngster for many years and the stories I got from her were enough to sway me and keep me well away for life.
I dont mean to come across all high and mighty as I do believe in each man for his own beliefs...but equally the uninformed and the young are usually the ones who end up with this tool and without understanding it they often face things they cannot compete with. I have heard alot of stories of people having to move house to escape from what has been unleashed. That being said I have heard that when the glass shatters then this is the spirit entering the room. I believe in most cases that the good spirits are out there doing good things - so to speak - so that leaves whatever else is around on the other side to answer the call
All the best
Free Flight

gargoyle_guarded

Man, there is a lot of hype over these pieces of wood marked with numbers and letters.

I understand how some people think the board can cause evil spirits to manifest but people also say the same thing about tarot cards, the pendulum, witchcraft, a specific or all psychic abilities for that matter, oh and let's not forget the trusty old bible should it fall into the wrong hands and be read backwards.

It amazes me how Ouija got such a bad rap over the years. I think we're dealing with a case of "intent" here folks. Fact remains - we should always use caution and discretion and most of all RESPECT with any endeavour into the paranormal, the psychic realm, or the spiritual world.

Free Flight

Hi gargoyle_guarded

I think when you consult a board you are throwing yourself (and any questions) out to the universe but when you consult the cards anything that comes, comes from within. I may be wrong but that is just what I think

Cheers,
Free Flight

gargoyle_guarded

That's an interesting point of view Free Flight. Myself, I see them as one in the same - both are a form of mediumship between the mundane and other realms. Since I'm interested in becoming more openminded, I'd like to have a better understanding of how you're looking at this situation.

When you read your cards, do you really believe everything is coming from within and no external forces or divine energy is assisting you?

EricTheHermit

Free Flight said:
I think when you consult a board you are throwing yourself (and any questions) out to the universe but when you consult the cards anything that comes, comes from within. I may be wrong but that is just what I think

Hi, Free Flight -

It's nice to meet you. :D You make a good point. Tarot cards, I believe, work in conjunction with the reader's intuition and psychic energies. Everyone has psychic energies, some more naturally developed than others. Some people are born with a strong sense of clairvoyance, some people claim to have developed clairvoyance throught the use of tarot cards and devices like Ouija boards. With tarot cards, however, you're right - the answers come from within.

There are no spirits hiding inside a tarot deck, and the deck is most definitely not "the Devil's picture book" as some misguided religious people claim. A Ouija board is a tool for spirit communication. I have read that devices like the Ouija can help develop one's ability as a medium, but there is the chance of contacting negative entities. The energy I felt from the Ouija was extremely positive, even when I was 5 and used it for the first time. Some people may mistake the spirit energy they feel as negative because they are just not emotionally ready to make contact or really understand what they're doing. Their anxieties can result in a buildup of psychic engergies that is released in a scary way - like the planchette flying across the room - but has really nothing to do with spirits.

The "cleansing rituals" that some people use before they begin a Ouija session are more about getting into a calm and focused frame of mind than calling on God (or the Goddess, or whoever) to protect them from bad spirits. I have heard experienced Ouija users say that by verbally inviting only good spirits to talk to you is an effective way of keeping the bad ones away. If the bad spirits know you're firm in forbidding their presence, they won't come because they know you're a person who can't be tricked or frightened easily. I don't know how much of that I agree with, but it is an interesting theory.

I must say, though, that using a device like the Ouija is something that should be done with extreme care - and not by children. Yeah I know, I was a small child when I began using my mother's Ouija, but it is really not a toy. Unfortunately, here in the States, Ouija boards are marketed as toys and sold in toy stores and toy departments. Most people who buy Ouija boards here are teenage girls who consider them to be a great slumber party game. Most teenage girls should never use a Ouija because they are too emotional and filled with a lot of psychic energy as they go through puberty - much more energy than teenage boys. And at a slumber party, in a group, well, you never know what could happen when they take out the board. All those hands on the planchette and all that energy put into it... (shudders)

I do believe, though, that a tarot deck would make a great gift for older children and teenagers who might be interested in it. Just tell them to be careful where they take their deck out and to whom they show it and read for. :D

- Eric

The Dreamer

Watch out, Eric- soon you'll be on the side of the "religious folks and organizations who have complained for years about marketing an occult device as a toy." ;) At first you thought it was unfortunate that such pressure against marketing to children was making ouija boards hard to find, and now you think it's unfortunate that they are marketed to children. Looks like your views are evolving.

Glad you're so sure about "no spirits hiding inside a tarot deck."
That's a silly way to state that opinion. You think that spirits can be contacted via ouija, in some cases, but you don't think the spirits are "hiding in" the board. Using the phrase "Hiding inside" is just a way to belittle the idea of spirit communication. Obviously your experience has caused you to believe that spirits are not involved with tarot. I myself cannot be so sure, and don't have a final opinion about why tarot works. I've got a lot of working hypotheses, but until I find a way to test them, declaring that spirits cannot be involved seems premature to me.

Gargoyle guarded's focus upon "respect" as the key to having good ouija experiences may be where it's at.
Or not. Who knows.

It's interesting to watch the way that people form their opinions on this board. Seems like so many people have a few experiences, then begin to make generalizations about how and why certain esoteric practices do or don't work, then go about stating their conclusions as fact. (Or, read or hear of some theories regarding why the practices work, then go about stating those as fact. Or a combination of the two. Or, they just speculate about why things work, then state those speculations as fact. [Happily there are also a few who admit that they don't know what they don't know, and only speak of their own experiences as well as they can, and speculate in a spirit of inquiry rather than dogmatism.])

Eric-
Your theory of teenage girls having more pent up emotional energy than teenage boys is an interesting one- but in my experience teenage boys have a fair amount of that as well. :) They're just not the ones having the ouija- friendly slumber parties. That theory of it being more dangerous for girls is a little hard to test.

Also- if you think that real spirits can be contacted via the board, how can you be sure that calling upon god or goddess for protection really is not necessary? Well- you seem to be sure of it mainly because you've decided that god or goddess don't exist.
Maybe.

Just throwing out a few tidbits of appropriate doubt among the statements of dogmatism that are popping up here. :)