Tarot Shadow Work

souljourney

I just ordered this book, found a good deal on it. It's the book by Christine Jette.
A friend recommended it although she hasn't done much with it yet.
Wondering what people's opinions are of it? Has anyone actually worked through the book?
Thanks for input...
SJ

Pipistrelle

Hi SJ,

I found your thread because I am considering getting this book myself (only heard about it today though so it might be a bit soon!)

If you do an advanced search for threads with "shadow work" in the title, you get back quite a few comments - all of which sound very promising. I haven't found one with a bad word to say about this book yet :)

I hope people will reply here too though as I'd like to hear more. I'm particularly interested to find out what the "work" part of shadow work involves...

Pip

mooncat2

Hi SJ & Pip,

I worked my way through and later led a small group through the process. I recommend it if you're prepared to commit yourself to the length of time it takes...........its not done in a hurry.

In confronting your shadow you're facing the past , the people and events that have shaped your life. Some of this can be painful. You need time for reflection and meditation.........and journalling, journalling, journalling. :D

One thing I do recommend is to choose your deck very carefully..........either buy a new one especially for the shadow work or use one you've had sitting there and not worked with. The deck I used I never used for anything else and sold it after I'd finished.

Any other questions I can help with please ask away or PM me. :)

Pipistrelle

Hi Mooncat2,

Thanks for your reply - it's very helpful, especially the bit about the deck.

I have been reading some more reviews and I like the sound of the Star spreads and taking one aspect of a previous spread to use for the next. However, I did read one review that said this book has a lot of references to crystal work and meditation and I'm not sure about that bit - I don't do any of that at the moment. Having read it, could you tell me if that might interfere with my being able to use the book?

It's definitely on my wishlist...I just haven't clicked 'buy' yet ;)

Pip

MikeTheAltarboy

I have this book, and I like the first chapter, but honestly, I've not gotten much further. As has been said, it takes time - but it also takes work, and I'm neither very self motivated, nor is my mind's eye very focused. The meditation felt more like work - hard work - than anything else to me. ;-) But it's sitting on the shelf waiting for me to improve a little more, then I intend to pull it out again!

huredriel

Hi SJ, I have this book and have read it through a couple of times ........ but not progressed further at the moment ...... I will do eventually ...... and I'm sure it will be over a long period of time ...... as Mooncat2 says, not something to be hurried or rushed.

x Huredriel

Kahlie

I kept seeing the Spreads which looked interesting...

However, I have another book of this author, (Tarot for the Healing Heart), and although it's a nice book... I would be more happy having just the Spreads & the Card Meanings and that's it.

The rest of the book reads like 'fluff' to me, and is very woman-oriented and very pagan-orientated too. I have no problems with people having other beliefs and I feel everybody should practice theirs... But Shadow Work is not connected to any particular faith and I don't think it should either. And neither is Healing.

That was why I decided not to buy this book. I think I would do well having the Spreads to play with, but since I have limited funds it's not worth to buy it just for that.

Kahlie

catlin

I have some of the Jette books including the Tarot shadow work and I appreciate the practical appoach but it really takes time to work it through and be prepared to be really confronted with your shadow.

Rhiannon

Do a search on "shadow work study group" & you'll find a few threads where we did some of the exercises. The study group was never really finished. :) The threads I'm referring to are all at the bottom of the search page, Star of Recovery, Nightfall, etc.

Pipistrelle

Kahlie said:
The rest of the book reads like 'fluff' to me, and is very woman-oriented and very pagan-orientated too. I have no problems with people having other beliefs and I feel everybody should practice theirs... But Shadow Work is not connected to any particular faith and I don't think it should either. And neither is Healing.
This is what I was worried about. I read somewhere there is a lot of stuff about "asking the goddess for protection" etc. which really isn't my thing (nothing wrong with it - just not for me). It's been enough to shelve the idea of getting this book for now.

I do want to work on some issues though, so I'm just going to do my own thing probably, start with a simple reading and then read around it to get a deeper understanding. I won't know where it will take me until I'm there, but then that's half the fun, isn't it ;)

Pip