Tarot Symbolism?

Namaste

What is the best book to learn about all the symbols in each of the tarot cards, or the archetypal symbols that are present in tarot?

Your suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you! :D

OceanBeauty

I borrowed this book called "The Girls' Guide to Tarot"...now, it sounds kinda funny. I looked at the descriptions of the cards, and it had the best I've seen, even better than those in the really expensive books. So, try it. I can't remember who the author is, but it's a fantastic book!

Hope this helps..

Do you know by chance of anyone who has the Tarot of Mermaids deck, and they don't want it anymore? I'll offer to buy it from them.

they can e-mail me at:

[removed by moderator]

thanks

Maddie

Fulgour

off the shelf...

The Mystical Tarot by Rosemary Ellen Guiley
&
Tarot Companion by Tracy Porter

:)

Both are easy to check, and fun to browse.

Sophie

Chevalier and Gheebrant's Dictionary of symbols (Penguin paperback), any day. Not only it is an invaluable ressource for tarot major arcana (all 22 major arcana are explained), it is also a great ressource for symbols generally, including many you will find even on non-standard tarot decks; for numbers, for alchemy, etc etc. Got a snake in a Lovers card (Ancestral Path) - find out all about snakes and sex! Got a phoenix, a seed, a dog, a singing mermaid? (well, not sure about the last one, but a mermaid certainly) - they're all there.

I've had it for years, and it's still a pleasure beyond compare.

Fulgour

Chevalier & Gheerbrant

The Dictionary of Symbols

Jean Chevalier, Alain Gheerbrant

Format: Paperback
Pub. Date: February 1997
Product Details:
ISBN: 0140512543
Format: Paperback, 1174pp
Publisher: Penguin

From the Critics at Booknews:

Leaning heavily on astrology, tarot, and other occult disciplines popular at the time of its first publication, 1969 in French, lists alphabetically the names of symbols and discusses the meanings attached to them. Bison gets three sentences, father gets nearly a page; serpent gets over 14. Includes colors, numbers, sounds, gestures, character traits, and other topics that have been given symbolic significance. ~ Annotation c. Book News, Inc.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

Deidra

My boyfriend bought 'the idiot's guide to tarot'. It has imo easy interpretations to understand. It's been a really good resource for him as he's been getting back into tarot.

tarotbear

Idiot's Guide is excellent

The Idiots Guide to Tarot and Fortune Telling is an excellent book. I noticed now that it's title has become just 'To Tarot', so I wonder if they took out all that stuff they added to make the book fatter that was kind of useless.... like MahJong tile readings and such.

Namaste

Helvetica said:
Chevalier and Gheebrant's Dictionary of symbols (Penguin paperback), any day. Not only it is an invaluable ressource for tarot major arcana (all 22 major arcana are explained), it is also a great ressource for symbols generally, including many you will find even on non-standard tarot decks; for numbers, for alchemy, etc etc. Got a snake in a Lovers card (Ancestral Path) - find out all about snakes and sex! Got a phoenix, a seed, a dog, a singing mermaid? (well, not sure about the last one, but a mermaid certainly) - they're all there.

I've had it for years, and it's still a pleasure beyond compare.

Thank you so much, Helvetica. :D

This resource sounds wonderful. I try and get it.

Namaste

Fulgour said:
The Dictionary of Symbols

Wow!! :D

You've just made my life a whole lot easier, Fulgour! Thanks!!!

Namaste

Thank you all for your suggestions! :)