Live Exorcism!

psychic sue

On 24th February, British TV is broadcasting a "Live" (with a time lag of about 3 minutes) Exorcism.

I am a bit concerned that this programme may convince mentally ill or unstable people that they are being "possessed". The Exorcism is being carried out by an Anglican Vicar, and I just wonder what other people's views on this are? Should the Church of England be doing this? It's obviously being done out of pure sensationalism, in my view, but what do others think? Could this programme benefit anyone?

It will be interesting to see how the programme is constructed and what is actually shown. I don't expect there will be any head spinning or green vomit, but I image it may deeply disturb some people.

Incidentally, should I be worried, as 24 Feb is my birthday??!! (just kidding).

Grigori

No Way! I didn't realise Anglicans did exorcisms, I thought it was a purely catholic thing. Surely the church will jump up and down and put a stop to this. The bad press for them could be enormous.

Sounds like shameless exploitation to me. :( (Of course, if it was on TV here, I'd want to watch it, so I'm a big hipocrite)

psychic sue

I too thought it was a purely catholic thing, but apparently the Anglican Church do it, as do several other churches. I read an article in the newspaper about it yesterday. According to the article, there are many more people "dabbling in the occult" as they put it, and so demand has increased for these ceremonies. What DID surprise me was that the Church said that truly possessed people has ALWAYS been dabbling in black magic and had ALWAYS invited evil in. They didn't mention tarot or ouija or mediums or anything like that.

And yes, I will be watching too! Perhaps everyone who watches in UK can have a discussion about it afterwards, and tell the other what happened. Or maybe non-uk members can get it on satellite or cable? I think its on at about 11pm GMT on Channel 4.

psychic sue

I totally agree Diana, but at whose expense are they jumping on the bandwagon?

It worries me that vulnerable people could be watching this programme.

Diana

Oh Sue: There is so much violence and sensationalism going on. An exorcism or a picture of a child dying of hunger in Darfur.... is one more scary or shocking than the other? I have myself sat sobbing in tears at pictures of children dying of hunger because I happen to be very vulnerable when it comes to children dying of hunger.

I bet you that after this exorcism, the church pews will fill up a wee bit more... for a few weeks. It will be a wonderful opportunity for the Church to re-instill Fear into the heart of the little Lambkins who have deserted the pews for other more pleasurable activities.

Now do you understand who will profit from this?

With fear, you can make people do ANYTHING. Go to church, vote, kick out all the immigrants.

Scary????

You're damn right it's scary.

Most TV programmes suck. Which TV channel is programming this, by the way?

psychic sue

Diana you are so right! A PR exercise by the Church!

I too feel deep deep sorrow when I see how man lets his fellow man starve and die. The world now worships at the temple of cold hard cash.

Its a sad world when the exploits of film stars and footballers are of more interest than the fact that small children die every day needlessly.

In answer to your question, I think it is channel 4.

Emily

I saw this ealier on today in my TV magazine - 10 pm Channel 4 - The Real Exorcist - Quote ' Examining America's only publicly documented Catholic exorcism, which inspired a best-selling novel and became the basis for the horror film The Exorcist.' Unquote.

After it they have a programme called ' The Exorcism' documenting the physiological effects of an exorcism.

No sure if I will watch it - not keen on those kind of programmes.

I knew a lady once who had to call in a Catholic priest to bless the rooms of her house, she was a neighbour and I remember seeing the Priest go into the house - he was very young, wore a black cape and the usual priest garb and carried what looked like an old fashioned doctors bag (gladston bag?) - he was there for quite a few hours.

zorya

this thread will be moved to the spirituality forum. it will remain here for 24 hours so that participating non-subscribers can view the replies, before it is moved.

bright blessings,
zorya

psychic sue

OK well Im not a subscriber, so I wont be able to continue this, but I hope it provokes a good discussion.

As a final word from me, I read another article about it this morning.

The Article said that Doctors and Priests/Vicars all now agree that there is indeed a "spirit world" and that lower entities can attach themselves to us.

It cites one of the main ways of attracting a low spirit is by playing with the ouija board - there is another thread on this matter, I think.

One of the priests says the best way to protect oneself is to stay away from too much alcohol and don't take illicit drugs, and don't "dabble in the occult".

Just wondered what other's thought about that advice?

Anyway, as I said, I hope it provokes an interesting discussion.

I will be watching on Thursday, so as I said before, I hope we can have a discussion about it on Friday.

Sue