Grimaud Marseilles LWB [Booklet] in English!

Mabuse

http://www.gambler.ru/sukhty/decks/d00110/d00110.htm

This may be of interest to those interested in differences in French and English methods.
Each major is presumed here to have both a "physical" and a "moral" meaning although what that exactly means does not appear to be specifically explained. There is also no mention of reversed cards so the orientation of the minors, or of any of the cards, appears to be irrelevant.
The trumps, which correspond to a multiple of 5, e.g. V, X, XV, XX, are deemed important as they determine the meaning of other cards. The Fool and the XXI also have this property.

This is quite a different method of interpretation from what I have been exposed. Perhaps it is prevalent in France.

Interested in any comments on it.

Moonbow

My Grimaud came from Switzerland (thank you Diana). The LWB is in French and English and to be honest I haven't read it past the first Major. The reason being, that I read the first Physical meaning of 'The Magician' and didn't like it, so I dismissed the rest of the book.

The Magician - Competence:

Moral Meaning:

Practical and creative inteligence. Quick reflexes. Selfishness in sentimental matters.

Pysical Meaning:

Activity. Resistance to illness.

Make of it what you will. I didn't like the limitations. :)

euripides

The Magician in my LWB Grimaud Marseilles is quite different:

Abstract meaning: the destiny of man struggling with the undercurrents of the occult

Practical meaning: Hesitation, guile, uncertainty, change caused by chance.

There are a lot of very specific interpretations of card combinations that I wonder if I will ever learn, however, with some of them, the explanation makes sense in a memorable, logical way, for instance:

'(judgement) combines with the Chariot and many others, but not with the Devil, the Magician or the Wheel of Fortune - when it becomes powerless. These cards have too great a physical strength to combine with Judgement, which is more concerned with the intellectual rather than the physical plane.'

The LWB is © J-M Simon (Jean Marc?) 1969

Anyone know anything about the origin of the text?