Books on the tarot the Marseilles

TrueStar

There are loads of books for the RWS, there are some really good ones for Thoth and there are even books devoted to theme decks that have gathered a certain number of users. But, what about TdM?

It's one of the best tarot decks ever (if not the best) and one of the most popular. Are there any classic books that must be read (i'm thinking of equivalents to Pollack and Greer for the RWS tradition)? Are there any good handbooks or beginner books? Focused in the history and evolution of the deck? Focused on discussion of the meanings of the cards (you know, each deck has its particular set of meanings)?

Anna

TrueStar said:
It's one of the best tarot decks ever (if not the best)

I aggree! :):):)

Most of the books about the Tarot of Marseilles are written in French. But one English Language book I really enjoyed is Sallie Nichols' book "Jung and Tarot."

Of course, one of the reasons why the Tarot of Marseilles is so great is beacause we don't need to read books to study it - it is a book in itself, one with 78 pages :D

Fulgour

Hola Estrella Verdadera,

The books that truly discuss Le Tarot de Marseille are many,
and you will know them when you read their words of truth.
They come in all shapes and sizes, but their message will be
known to you as valuable no matter what deck they describe.
I wish you good fortune always in your search for wisdom. :)

Bendiciones Brillantes,
Fulgour

Moongold

TrueStar said:
There are loads of books for the RWS, there are some really good ones for Thoth and there are even books devoted to theme decks that have gathered a certain number of users. But, what about TdM?

It's one of the best tarot decks ever (if not the best) and one of the most popular. Are there any classic books that must be read (i'm thinking of equivalents to Pollack and Greer for the RWS tradition)? Are there any good handbooks or beginner books? Focused in the history and evolution of the deck? Focused on discussion of the meanings of the cards (you know, each deck has its particular set of meanings)?

TrueStar ~

Both Charming Pixie and Fulgour speak with wisdom.

As well as the Nicholls another useful bookin English is "Tarot and Individuation " by Dr. Irene Gad. It's published in the United States but I don't have the details right now. It is almost certainly available on Amazon.com. A second edition has just been published. This book, by the way. covers only the Major Aecana.

There is much excellent information available in the Marseille forum here.

Enjoy your study :)

Rusty Neon

TrueStar,

Welcome. I note that you're from Spain. Therefore I presume that you can read Spanish. In that case, there are some books on the Tarot de Marseille available in French that are also available in Spanish version - but not in English:

(1) Jodorowsky's new book on the Tarot de Marseille: "La Via del Tarot"

http://actualidad.terra.es/articulo/html/av2147516.htm

(2) Paul Marteau's classic book from the 1930s: "El Tarot de Marsella"

As well, Rodes and Sanchez have a book in Spanish on the TdM which I haven't read. However, I understand that that book is in the course of being revised to reflect the new Rodes-Sanchez TdM deck, so you may wish to hold off on purchase of their book.

P.S.: Welcome back, CharmingPixie. :)

TrueStar

Rusty Neon said:
(1) Jodorowsky's new book on the Tarot de Marseille: "La Via del Tarot"

(2) Paul Marteau's classic book from the 1930s: "El Tarot de Marsella"

As well, Rodes and Sanchez have a book in Spanish.

Thank you for your bibliographic references.

I know the three books you have mentioned. I own Jodo's and it's an interesting book, but way too eccentric: shows the author's personal view on tarot leaving out all the traditional stuff, not to mention Jodo denies completely the divinatory approach to the cards. Although it has many interesting ideas spread all along it and has the taste of a classic book on this subject.

I know very little of Paul's Marteaus book and work on the Marseilles. I only had the chance to give a quick look to it at a book store. Looks like its focused in describing in detail the pictures of the deck and the meanings of each card. I don't know how this meanings are: taken from tradition or deduced from an esoteric system, like Jodo does. This one with its accmpanying deck is in my wishlist.

I know of Rodes & Sanchez work through this forum, where they have some people interested in it, but never considered in looking for the book. Anybody can tell us somthing about it?

Fulgour

Does it have any pictures?

TrueStar said:
I know of Rodes & Sanchez work through this forum, where they have some people interested in it, but never considered in looking for the book. Anybody can tell us somthing about it?
Tell us what you don't know, and maybe we can guess.

TrueStar

Well, what I would like to know about the Rodes-Sanchez book is:

1. Which is the theorical/esoteric thesis in the book: if it's Jodorowsky oriented (i.e., own particular vision on the tarot), if it's based in the traditional trend, in the Papus/Levi, XIX century theories (kabbalah + numerology + alchemy), or even if they have their own approach.

2. How deep it goes with the pips description: majors are nearly common place to all tarot decks and theories, so if i pick up a book on a given deck I look for an extensive explanation, and sadly this feature is usually overlooked.

3. If the spreads are all position based (celtic cross and such) or if it presents some open pattern systems (less position meaning and more relation between the cards).

I find the spanish and english markets a bit lacking of marseilles book references, and I think this is one most interesting and historically important tarot decks ever.I consider it deserves a more profound and detailed study. So I thought it could be of the interest of some people here to gather and discuss some bibliography.