Lucid Dreams

lusso

many of my dreams i forget but there is one thet keeps reoccuring to me all the time that am driveing in my car at nite the moon is big and bright the nite is still and calm and all of a sudden the car crashes some times i see it when am awake as well dose any one know what this means

The Dreamer

Yeah. The debating thing helps me sort things out, I think.

I've read quite a lot about dreaming. I read quite a lot in general.
I've read that almost nobody reads in dreams. Apparently, most people either never have reading situations in dreams, or get the effect you described- jumbled or blurred words. Not me. I don't know why.
I don't read constantly in my dreams, but books show up in them, and when they do, I read them normally and then think about them.

One thing about my dreams is that I have very vivid colors, smells, sound, all that- but only on the elements which fit with the most important parts of the story. So, with things in the scene I'm not interested in, people in the periphery and such, those will be blurred out or not fully filled in or without color. It seems my mind only creates just enough to make what I want. I want the books, apparently.

The dream thinking thing is useful to me, I think. But if I had to be lucid it would be completely exhausting. I think my mind knows what it's doing. I'd rather just let it do it by itself.

SilentBreeze

I never really have lucid dreams on purpose but the times when i do it ether when i realize my dream makes no sense like once i was dreaming about school and i realized i don't have school this week....and other times its when im so tired i fall asleap too fast to turn off my mind. Its hard staying in when you relize its a dream tho....i just tell myself to stay in and that how i stay in....

psychic sue

Would you believe it? Since I posted this thread I haven't had a lucid dream!

Last night I dreamed I was chatting to Cliff Richard!!! Where did that come from?? Believe me, Cliff is not someone who enters my thoughts on a yearly basis let alone daily! I'm more of a hip hop fan (I've been brainwashed by my Kids). If I was lucid in that dream, I would've changed him into someone much more exciting! (apologies to Cliff fans, I'm sure he's a very nice bloke!).

tmgrl2

Eric...what a fascinating post and wonderful information!

Years ago, I started

LucidDreaming...spontaneously ...maybe because I kept a nightly dream journal..

Then, I got interested in Stephen LaBerge's work (70's and 80's) ....I started "looking for my hands" in a dream, which he suggested would signal an awareness that you are dreaming...from there you can control the dream.

I started practicing this...and was successful...had a number of lucid dreams (not just a rare one which can happen to most people at some time)...

In one recurrent dream, I would be frantically going through a house and opening all of the closet doors, looking for a monster ...bear-like creature, that was always in the last closet I opened and when I did, the creature lunged at me and I awakened.

Using the intent before sleeping of treating the "monster" differently, the final time I had that dream, when I got to the door with the creature, I opened the door and instead of screaming and waking up, I threw my arms around the monster and hugged it. LOL...It worked! I never had that dream again.

I very seldom have nightmares anymore. Maybe once every year or less.

Here is an old article by LaBerge:

http://www.lucidity.com/SleepAndCognition.html

and a website of upcoming conference featuring LaBerge ...the site lists some topics of interest.

http://www.lucidity.com/

Eventually, I threw away alomost 15 years of dream journals...I wish I had kept them, but now, I keep a journal by my bedside and write down some of my more interesting dreams.

Connections through dreams have always been wonderful for me...As a youngster and as a young person, I had a higher frequency of unpleasant and/or fearful dreams.

Not so anymore...they have certainly been demystified for me...and, perhaps, I have worked through some inner issues that plagued me when I was younger. I don't know why...but I welcome dreaming and rarely find it unpleasant...

In fact, many of them are quite hopeful and filled with interest to me when I examine them.

Thanks for starting this thread, PS...

Finally, an interesting interview with S.LaBerge and links to the Lucidity Institute

http://www.levity.com/mavericks/laberg.htm

terri

EricTheHermit

Hi, Terri -

I've been able to control my lucid dreams since I was a kid. It wasn't something I learned, it just happened. When I would find something in my dream not to my liking, I would will it to change. In the dream, I would hear myself say STOP or CHANGE or something like that, and the dream scene would flicker out and a new scene would flicker on.

I haven't had nightmares for years. My dreams are usually bizarre and surreal and don't make much sense, but aren't exactly frightening, either. I'll give you an example:

About a week ago, I had a dream where I had a baby daughter, (I have no wife or children, but would love to start a family someday) a toddler about two years old. We were in the kitchen. I was feeding her and enjoying it. I remember singing to her as well. I got up to get a dish from the cupboard, and from the corner of my eye, I saw that the baby had vanished. Her clothes were there in the high chair, but she was gone. I suddenly felt something on my shoulder - it was a bright green cricket about the three times the size of a normal cricket. Before I could react, the cricket said "It's me, Daddy!" in my daughter's voice. The fact that my daughter had just turned into an insect didn't disturb me; I was just glad that she was safe. I then opened the cupboard and she leaped off my shoulder and onto the side of the cabinet. At this point, someone - I don't know who - walks into the kitchen, sees my insect-daughter, shrieks, and tries to close the cupboard door on her head. I scream, "Don't!" and save my insect-daughter just in time. End of dream. Hey, I told you it was bizarre! Maybe I've read too much Franz Kafka and William S. Burroughs. :)

Have you ever experienced past-life memories in your dreams? I have. When I was in college, I had a recurring dream where I was a blonde-haired boy of about 8 or 9 years old in an underground shelter. I had a sister, who was 11 or 12 years old. There were sounds of exploisions coming from outside the shelter, and my sister and I were very scared and clung to each other tightly. We spoke with British accents, and we loved each other very much. We kept each other safe and sane in that shelter. I had this dream several times.

At first, I didn't connect the dreams to a past life memory, but the more I thought about it, the more I knew that it was probably some kind of past life memory. I have no brothers or sisters, but when I was young, I longed for a sister. I had no desire for a brother, only a sister. As a child, I had friends of both sexes, but my friendships with girls were always deeper and more emotionally rewarding than my friendships with other boys. My best friend was a girl named Leslie who lived next door to me. We met when we were 2 years old, and I still have memories of us as toddlers. We were inseparable. When we were 11, she had to move away because IBM transferred her dad out of town. I was heartbroken.

Leslie had blonde hair, just like the sister I had in those dreams. I have come to believe that Leslie and I became so close because she reminded me of the sister I had and loved in a past life. I don't believe she was my past-life sister, though. I can't explain why, it's just a gut feeling I have. I have also come to believe that my childhood longing for a sister and preference for female companionship came from a need to find a replacement for the sister I didn't have in this life.

That past life memory I dreamed was a big help. It answered a lot of questions I had about myself and my childhood. If you ever experience past life memories in your dreams, don't be afraid of them. Embrace them. They can be very insightful.

- Eric

tmgrl2

I have had a number of dreams that seemed to be "not" dreams...visitations, future? past? very out-of-the-world kind, but definitely didn't feel like dreams.

Also, I did lots of past-life regression work with a psychic in the 70's...those were the days when I was into exploring everything.

Now, that I am much older....my life kind of coasts along, my dreams are what they are, mostly good...and I pretty much take things as they come.

Very interesting stuff, though.

terri

psychic sue

Terri thanks for that, I will check out the articles.

I do have a recurring nightmare type dream, so I would like to be able to tackle that, as you suggest.

Thanks again.

tmgrl2

psychic sue said:
Terri thanks for that, I will check out the articles.

I do have a recurring nightmare type dream, so I would like to be able to tackle that, as you suggest.

Thanks again.

I was so amazed that it worked! Every night though, I had to go to sleep with the thought in mind that I would hug the monster next time that dream came.

Good luck!

terri

psychic sue

EricTheHermit said:
Hi, Terri -

I've been able to control my lucid dreams since I was a kid. It wasn't something I learned, it just happened. When I would find something in my dream not to my liking, I would will it to change. In the dream, I would hear myself say STOP or CHANGE or something like that, and the dream scene would flicker out and a new scene would flicker on.

I haven't had nightmares for years. My dreams are usually bizarre and surreal and don't make much sense, but aren't exactly frightening, either. I'll give you an example:

About a week ago, I had a dream where I had a baby daughter, (I have no wife or children, but would love to start a family someday) a toddler about two years old. We were in the kitchen. I was feeding her and enjoying it. I remember singing to her as well. I got up to get a dish from the cupboard, and from the corner of my eye, I saw that the baby had vanished. Her clothes were there in the high chair, but she was gone. I suddenly felt something on my shoulder - it was a bright green cricket about the three times the size of a normal cricket. Before I could react, the cricket said "It's me, Daddy!" in my daughter's voice. The fact that my daughter had just turned into an insect didn't disturb me; I was just glad that she was safe. I then opened the cupboard and she leaped off my shoulder and onto the side of the cabinet. At this point, someone - I don't know who - walks into the kitchen, sees my insect-daughter, shrieks, and tries to close the cupboard door on her head. I scream, "Don't!" and save my insect-daughter just in time. End of dream. Hey, I told you it was bizarre! Maybe I've read too much Franz Kafka and William S. Burroughs. :)

Have you ever experienced past-life memories in your dreams? I have. When I was in college, I had a recurring dream where I was a blonde-haired boy of about 8 or 9 years old in an underground shelter. I had a sister, who was 11 or 12 years old. There were sounds of exploisions coming from outside the shelter, and my sister and I were very scared and clung to each other tightly. We spoke with British accents, and we loved each other very much. We kept each other safe and sane in that shelter. I had this dream several times.

At first, I didn't connect the dreams to a past life memory, but the more I thought about it, the more I knew that it was probably some kind of past life memory. I have no brothers or sisters, but when I was young, I longed for a sister. I had no desire for a brother, only a sister. As a child, I had friends of both sexes, but my friendships with girls were always deeper and more emotionally rewarding than my friendships with other boys. My best friend was a girl named Leslie who lived next door to me. We met when we were 2 years old, and I still have memories of us as toddlers. We were inseparable. When we were 11, she had to move away because IBM transferred her dad out of town. I was heartbroken.

Leslie had blonde hair, just like the sister I had in those dreams. I have come to believe that Leslie and I became so close because she reminded me of the sister I had and loved in a past life. I don't believe she was my past-life sister, though. I can't explain why, it's just a gut feeling I have. I have also come to believe that my childhood longing for a sister and preference for female companionship came from a need to find a replacement for the sister I didn't have in this life.

That past life memory I dreamed was a big help. It answered a lot of questions I had about myself and my childhood. If you ever experience past life memories in your dreams, don't be afraid of them. Embrace them. They can be very insightful.

- Eric

Eric - Fascinating dream about your insect-daughter! Maybe its symbolic of your growing spiritual gifts - you are nuturing them, other people may be afraid of them? Just a thought.

I've dreamed things that have actually happened - like when my mom had a heart attack. About a month before I dreamed I was running down a long hospital corridor, in a state of utter panic. I woke up sweating and feeling really scared.

A month later, I found myself running down that corridor, panic striken.

I have questioned why I had that dream. I mean what was the purpose? It did nothing to stop the event from happening or to aleviate my sense of fear and panic. Don't know if you've got any thoughts about that?

Sue x