Rosetta Stone Method

Jeannette

Howdy!

After souljourney posted some info about my article in Timeless Spirit eMag, Moonbow PM'd me to ask if I would include my Rosetta Stone process here in the "Spreads" forum. This is the first time I've posted to this forum, so I hope the info I've provided here will suffice.

In fact, it is not a spread, but a method that can be used with any spread. Its goal is to facilitate communication by providing insight into someone else's perspective on an issue. The basic process involves using two different decks for the reading... one representing yourself, and one representing the other person. Any spread can theoretically be used; the idea is to do a reading for yourself, and then to use the same cards from the other deck to gain insight into how the other person views the same issue.

Lest there be any confusion, I don't mean to lay claim to the idea of using multiple decks for a reading. So-called "comparative tarot" reading methods have been around for years. What I have tried to do with the "Rosetta Stone" process is to suggest a particular multi-deck approach specifically designed for overcoming communication barriers that are, in fact, often at the heart of many of our personal and relationship quandries.

Moonbow suggested that I post the five steps I've outlined for implementing this process. If you want to read the whole article (which gives the full rationale for the method and provides detailed examples), I've posted a copy at a moderator-approved link, given below:

http://www.tarotgarden.com/library/articles/rosettastone.html

If anyone reading this has any questions about this method, please feel free to PM me anytime.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

THE ROSETTA STONE METHOD: BASIC STEPS
(Excerpted verbatim from the Timeless Spirit article)

1) Begin by securing your most "comfortable" deck – the one with which you are most experienced and feel most confident in the results. This deck will be used to represent your "world view."

2) Carefully select a second deck, which will be used to represent the world view of the other party. This step shows that this process is admittedly biased toward practitioners with a larger deck library, but it can still be used effectively by a motivated "single-deck purist." The good news is that the second deck need not be physically present during the reading. As long as images of the second deck's cards can be referenced by some means – through illustrations in a book, for example, or via an Internet website – that should prove sufficient.

When selecting the second deck, care should be taken to do the best possible job of choosing one that accurately reflects the general character of the other person. In an ideal situation, where several decks are actually available and you can feel comfortable with directly approaching the other person, you might actually let him or her choose the second deck themselves. If you own few decks, but will be using this process with some frequency to examine communication issues arising between yourself and a particular individual – a spouse or closely collaborating coworker, for example – you may wish to research the "best match" for that person, and then invest in an actual copy of that deck for such readings. In any event, the effectiveness of this technique will rest largely on how well this second deck functions as an accurate metaphor of this second person's perceptions.

3) Decide on the spread to be used, and lay out the cards for the spread from deck #1. Take some time to reflect on what the results say about you, and about your perceptions and behaviors in regard to the situation in question.

4) Next, find and pull the matching cards in deck #2, and lay them next to or above the corresponding cards in the spread from deck #1. If the second deck is not physically present, use your reference materials to access the illustrations of the corresponding cards.

This second set of cards is, of course, intended to represent the world view of the other person in regard to the same question. Explore how the same metaphors and archetypes are executed in the second deck. Find the interesting aspects of how they differ from those of the first deck, and how they are similar. Don't be afraid to make associations based on surface attributes – it isn't essential to delve into all the minutiae of any esoteric symbolism that may be present. Keep in mind that our perceptions are not always based on logic or profound truths.

Remember: the goal is to come to an understanding of the other's views, not to judge them. While it is certainly okay to disagree with what you are seeing, keep in mind that there is no "right" or "wrong" at this stage. For the moment, your only concern should be to establish the metaphorical groundwork for future communication on the matter.

5) Once you have finished reflecting on the spread results, use your conclusions to guide your future communications on the issue. Whenever possible, you will want to build on elements of the situation when your perceptions overlap, and propose alternatives from within the metaphor of the other's world view when they don't.

For specific examples, refer to the full article link provided earlier in this post.

bassetized

Jeannette:

I like this spread a lot. I'm drawn to comparative Tarot study, and this seems like a really practical application. I'm going to try a couple of spreads concerning my mother's view of things vs. mine--she and I are a bit like oil and water...well, Air/Fire (me) and Water (her). :)

I'll post the results when I have them. Now I just have to find a watery sort of deck...

Jeannette

bassetized: I'd be very interested in seeing the results of such a reading, if you do care to post-and-share afterwards.

Watery decks... hmmm... maybe one of these?

• Margarete Petersen Tarot Fiery colors at times, but very fluid illustrations
  • Tarot of Mermaids Perhaps a bit of a "stereotypical" expression of the idea, but fits the intent, in any case.
  • Ananda Tarot
  • Aquarian Tarot The colors aren't always very "watery," but I find that 60s-70s "pop art" style to have a rather "fluid" feel.
  • Art Nouveau Tarot (either Castelli's or Myer's).
  • Avalon Tarot -- not sure why this one seems "water-y" to me... I'm sure others would disagree.
  • Buddha Tarot Robert Place - lots of cool colors and that easy-on-the-eyes Eastern illustration style.
  • Tarot of the Cat People Lots more cool colors, largely a very peaceful deck, albeit still very intriguing, to my way of thinking.
  • Celestial Tarot Those light-blue borders cool down even the more dynamic Wands cards, IMO.
  • Connolly Tarot Has a bit of a soft, rounded feel that says "water" to me.
  • Cosmic Tarot by Loesche - all those images superbly blended and intermingling; a bit pontillistic at times. Sweet.
  • Crystal Tarots by E Trevisian. The title may imply "earthy," but the pix scream "water" to me.
  • Elemental Tarot by Smith and Astrop - I always feel a strong emotional undercurrent when I look at this one.
  • Era of Aquarius Tarot Hope I'm not being influenced by the names here, but this Russian deck seems to "fit the bill" to my eye.
  • Fey Tarot by Minetti and Agham.
  • Gilded Tarot I expect many would find this more "airy" than "watery," but I could just drown in those lucious images!
  • Goddess Tarot by Waldherr -- watery in that stereotypical "feminine" way, I guess.
  • Iris Lam Tarot from Japan; beautifully fluid majors and courts.
  • Light and Shadow Tarot Another one I expect is highly open to debate regarding the characteriziation of "watery," but that's how I see it.
  • Londa Tarot In general, I find the character-driven decks to be more emotional and gut-level intuitive.
  • Lover's Path Tarot Obviously a strong emotional undercurrent with this one.
  • Merryday Tarot Lots of cool colors and that fluid, fantasy style to die for.
  • Tarot of a Moon Garden Perhaps a bit too much "fluff" here, but I think it's definitely fair to characterize it as "watery."
  • New Century Tarot Has this one been mentioned in the thread on under-rated decks?
  • Osho Zen When in doubt -- stick with the classics?
  • Renaissance Tarot -- the Brian Williams one.
  • Roots of Asia Tarot
  • Sacred Circle Tarot
  • Shapeshifter Tarot Almost by definition...
  • Stone Tarot Feels like a very "watery" RWS to me.
  • Tarot of the Trance Could be classified as psychedelic fire, but the colors and fluidness make it seem more in the water camp to me.
  • Tarot of Transformation by Arlenea and Cori -- if this isn't water, I don't know what is!

Sorry... overkill?

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

bassetized

There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to suggesting Tarot decks to me LOL ;)

bassetized

should there be a new thread

Jeannette:

I was so delighted to see your list of "watery" decks that I dashed off a quick reply just before leaving work. Now that I've had time to think on it, do you know if there has been a thread concerning which decks seem to relate to which element? (Did a cursory search and didn't come up with one, but I'm not too adept at this search engine yet.) If there isn't, would you like to cooperate on a thread about this in the "Tarot Decks" forum or some other appropriate place? I know that this is one way that I classify my decks. I also noted from your list that while I have 70 decks, I had very few from your recommended list. I bet if you generated a list for air, fire, or earth (she says, smiling hopefully), I would have more. I also personally feel some decks are very well balanced among the four elements, and some others are what I might class as "spirit."

Of course, I ask if you would "cooperate," but while I'm willing to have a go at classifying my decks, I'm afraid that you would have way more information than me, so maybe I should make it clear what I'm trying to volunteer you for. :D

In any case, I found your list very valuable and thank you for it, not least because I can now try and "patch" the elemental hole in my collection by...big surprise...buying more decks. ( ;) and a big HURRAY!)

BTW, I will do the Rosetta Stone spread and post it to share--should I post it here or in the "Readings" forum with a link here?

--bassetized

Jeannette

bassetized said:
...do you know if there has been a thread concerning which decks seem to relate to which element?
The same thought occured to me as I was typing up the list.

Of course, I ask if you would "cooperate," but while I'm willing to have a go at classifying my decks, I'm afraid that you would have way more information than me, so maybe I should make it clear what I'm trying to volunteer you for.
LOL! Well, I'm certainly not going to impede you from the undertaking. I'd be happy to contribute when I can, but that "water" list took me over 1/2 an hour to compile. So a more thorough list would suck up a bigger chunk of time than I'll have all at one stretch. But I'd subscribe to any such thread, and participate when I am able.

Complicating matters a bit, IMO, is that as I was compiling the previous list, I found several decks that I thought "straddled" elements. For example, the Lo Scarabeo "Spirit of Flowers" deck seemed half water to me, and half air. The latter probably because of all those little winged sprites. I suppose the classifications would be subject to endless debate, at any rate -- but then, that's all part of the fun.

BTW, I will do the Rosetta Stone spread and post it to share--should I post it here or in the "Readings" forum with a link here?
I dunno... I must admit, I don't hang out on the Spreads and Readings forums a lot. 'Tis a question better answered by a moderator, methinks.

--- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

bassetized

Hi Jeannette and anyone interested in classifying decks by elements:

I just started a new thread in the "Tarot Decks" forum for decks that fit one or more elements: https://www.tarotforum.net/threads/38615/. I put a link to this thread there.

Here's hoping it will generate some interest.

Thanks for all your work, Jeannette--glad you were thinking it might make an interesting topic, too.

Now back to my experiment with the Rosetta Stone spread. :)

--bassetized

Moonbow

bassetized said:
....BTW, I will do the Rosetta Stone spread and post it to share--should I post it here or in the "Readings" forum with a link here?

--bassetized

Hi Bassetized

Please post any readings in the Your Readings forum. Guidelines for posting here are set out at the top of this forum.

Thanks
Moonbow*

seneris

An interesting read. I sometimes use two decks for a reading, but I never used them in this way before. If I use two decks it's to gain more depth for my reading. Maybe I'll try this, thanks for sharing.

bassetized

I tried the Rosetta Stone method and it was amazing!

I posted my results in "Your Readings" (thanks Moonbow--sorry I missed that in the instructions), https://www.tarotforum.net/threads/38630/, if anyone wants to check it out.

Thanks for sharing this, Jeannette!
--bassetized (Nickie)