Choosing books -- a suggestion.

SexiSadi

Fairly reciently, I realized that I have a TON of books sitting around my house that have never even been looked at. It makes me feel a little bad because it's such a waste of money.

I have learned a new trick though: I use the library. I found that I can search for books from home, and have them delivered to any library in the network. Obviously, I use the Library Network for my area, but I did a quick search for a few different cities and they all had their own network of libraries.

Of course, this doesn't work very well if you just have to have something as soon as you want it. But for me, since I really, REALLY try to control my impulse buying, it's working well for me.

Oh, one other thing, you'll probably need a library card. :)

Happy book hunting!

Lillie

You can do the same in Britain. They will find any book you want.
If they can fid it in their own local authority library network you can get it for free.
If it comes from other authorities there is a small charge.

Ultimately, if they cannot find it anywhere else, they can get it from the British museum library, which claims to have every book published in Britain, ever.
That boggles my mind. They must have stacks and stacks of mills and boon just sitting there.

Anyway, it's best to hope they find it else where, cos the penalties for loosing a British library book are pretty dire, and might include an axe man on tower hill!
I have only ever had one from there. I treated it like it was made of gold.

Anyhow, great idea Sexisadi.
Public libraries are a great resource.

Emeraldgirl

I have also found as a great way to save cash (Melbourne's public library services are pretty dire) A lot of sites have great "Handbooks" and learning tools for tarot. I print them out and take them to my local Officeworks (Stationery store) and have them bound (or if I'm feeling really poor I use the binding machine at work).

It saves money on buying a lot of expensive books and when they are spiral bound it's really easy to write notes and stuff in the margins and you can safely highlight passages etc without getting into trouble.

HOLMES

also what helps as well

more and more books are being put online. such as the aquarian gospel of jesus, and others.

one thing i try to do is read the reviews of a book, or severals.
the description of the book in amazon. (i particulary love it when they search inside this book option ).

but in winnipeg and kenora there is a place where you can go and find used book for low prices.
that is how i got started in the tarot as well , 3.25 eden gray book.

and you can simply trade away books you dont' want for new ones in the trade option here.

Tabby

Library Suggestion

Great idea, but it depends on where you at I guess. I don't think this little library where I'm at does that. And where I'm at my local library don't have too much, if any, on new age stuff such as tarot. This little town I live at is sort of back in the woods so to speak. Where I lived at before had a library that was really good and had a good selection.

Rusty Neon

StormsNeverLast said:
nd where I'm at my local library don't have too much, if any, on new age stuff such as tarot. This little town I live at is sort of back in the woods so to speak.

Even if your town is remote, your town library might still have inter-library affiliations that allow you to get books through other towns' libraries. You should check with your town library.

Rosanne

Last year I found out the Library has a system of purchasing in the most used sections. For the last year I have done this and it works. Small sections on Poetry, Tarot and History. Each week I have picked up , in turn, the complete array from the section and checked them out, walked out the door and checked them back in. My 'usage ' has resulted in five more History books, a large purchase of Poetry books and there are now twelve books on Tarot. If I keep this plan up the town library will have the biggest section of books I use in the world. The computer does not check the dates or library card number, just the checking out stats. Clever eh! I have thought about doing the checking out daily, but the computer might smell a rat! :D