Personal 'tools' for divination

Milfoil

Forgive me if this is a real novice question. Though I know a 'very little bit' about the Tarot, I know virtually nothing about divination with anything else. I have been reading back over past posts, sites on the net etc and trying to research the divination techniques and tools of many cultures and it seems to me that a personal set of tools is often the way that many 'seers' work.

With this in mind, I was wondering two things:

1) Where would you suggest I look to study the roots of divination, the requirements of a set of 'tools' (ie the metaphysical ideology of the items/materials, colours, significances etc)

2) If this seems like an interesting project, would anyone else care to join me and see if we can come up, each with our own sort of rune/witchstone/cast objects kit?

I am one of those people who picks up a stone on the beach and treasures it above a diamond; finds a feather and keeps it in a favourite book; makes a connection with a small, knarled bit of wood that I've found - that sort of thing so using such items as a tool for self awareness or divination appeals to me.

I need to learn SO much more before I can really start on this project but it would be nice to know if I'm even on the right track or just wasting my time - what do you all think? (please be gentle, its taken me a week to drum up the courage to post this! ;) )

psychic sue

Milfoil I have just begun scrying (literally 2 days ago) and casting my first spells, and I would love to join you in this project. I am scrying with my alarm clock at the moment! I would love someone more knowledgeable to point me in the right direction and give me some clues as to tools etc.

Thanks for starting this thread, I look forward to learning from everyone.

Sue

Milfoil

Thanks Sue

Thats a good start, I dare say this will take some time to complete as a project and I personally, would like to make a lot of notes along the way such as:

* where each object was found/made/discovered
* what each object speaks to me of/tells me
* how I envisage using this object within the context of other objects

and also

When I do start to use them:

* record each reading
* compare readings with outcome/events
*record other rituals associated in the use of these tools

Those are just some of my personal musings on the subject but of course, although they don't have to apply to everyone, it would be great to get some other peoples similar feedback too.

Chronata

Hello Milfoil!

I am very interested in reading about your journey of divination discoveries.

I can completely relate to the love of found objects and natural treasures (it doesn't help that I am drawn to collect shiny bits like your garden variety Crow!)

While I do love tarot and other oracle cards...I also really enjoy devising my own systems and ways of reading with objects that I have found or collected over the years.

It started with Lithomancy...stone reading...and a system based on one from a wonderful teacher that I had. It was great fun collecting the stones that would be used for the various purposes...and I do recall where each and every stone came from.

Since that time, I have read with river rocks, a handful of copper nuggets, chicken bones, gems, tokens, beads, and the Grand Collective...which consists of every thing that fits in a small bag...

Each collection of objects has its own system...some of which were purposeful...others that were developed on the spot.

I have also developed my own divination oracle sets, some created from clay...others created from painting on glass marbles.

I would love to see ideas that you have...and I am very willing to share some of my own with you!

Milfoil

Since that time, I have read with river rocks, a handful of copper nuggets, chicken bones, gems, tokens, beads, and the Grand Collective...which consists of every thing that fits in a small bag...

Thats exactly what I am trying to do (the Grand Collective - sounds like a perfect description) but with no education in this area I feel that some study is required first.

I have my first item - a small stone from our garden. I sat there this morning thinking about all sorts of things going on in my life right now and there was this little stone with a small hollow in it - in the hollow was a small spider. The spider reminded me of 'me'! Sat there with my web of life around me. Tasks to do, business stuff to deal with, people to visit, things to learn - a whole myriad of 'to do's' rather like a desk full of post it notes. This little stone will be my starting point.

This little stone will always remind me of the spider, I may even etch a spider onto it. Its significance will relate to the juggling act we call our lives and how the spider keeps a 360 degree view of all these things without loosing control. I still have to consider the small indentation - rather like the cup signs on ancient stones.

Chronata

Oh that little stone sounds so wonderful!!
What a fabulous starting point!

It has such perfect and personal meaning to you, and that's the best kinds of divination bits to use!

Keeping a record of the meanings is a grand idea as well...I especially like the idea of writing in a journal...as you can meditate on objects and expand the meanings to encompass many more thoughts that spiral out from the first!

The stone reminding you of the Spider...then leads to other spider symbols!
Like interconnectedness, creativity, the web of Life, the Internet(world Wide Web!) and other lesser meanings!

I know it's difficult to find anything written about this kind of divination...though you might want to google the term" Sortilege" (did I even spell that right?) as this is one name for divining with the bits and pieces.

Good luck with this project! I look forward to seeing what other bits you obtain!

Milfoil

Thankyou Chronata

Thankyou so much. You've given me ideas and much more.

psychic sue

I used a pice of silver foil to scry the other night and got a tortoise. I googled it and its the symbol of mother earth, the goddess and reminds us to give back to nature what we take from her.

I took that to be a message for our little project.

I am going to try a stone next, like you Milfoil.

Sue

Milfoil

Interesting that it should be a manufactured item (tin foil) and the reminder to give back what we take from mother nature.

psychic sue

Yes I thought that too.

And of course your name MilFOIL.