Fairy Ring Oracle - Gwynn ap Nudd - 5th Card

LilRed

Card: Gwyn ap nudd
Court: Winter court, King of the Winter Court

Before us we see the dark figure of the Welsh king of the underworld, with his owl familiar. In the background is Glastonbury tol, where he rules. Gwyn means “white one”, and ap means “son of” so his name translates to “White one son of Nudd”.
He rules over the Welsh fairy’s called the Tylwyth Teg or fair folk, his kingdom lies beneath the earth in Welsh lakes, or Glastonbury Tor in SW England. In Celtic lore Fairland and the Underworld is the same thing and can be accessed through entered through fairy mounds, tors, caves, wells, or under lakes and pools.

He is traditionally depicted with an owl with Irish hunting dogs at his side. Being that he is the King of the underworld it is important to know that the dead are commemorated at Lughnasa, Samhain & Yule.

During the time they were converting Britian they spoke out against King Gwyn, to prove them wrong King Gwyn invited St. Collen to dine with him. St Collen refused, knowing he would then forever have to live with the fairys and then dowsed Gwyn with holy water and this is when the King disappeared.

Meenings:
Deeply buried secrets, things hidden concealed fears, suppressed feelings, self imposed restrictions, bondage to the past.

May be real person in your life

Reversed Meanings:
Power misused, abuse obsession, violation, injury, insult, breaking of faith, betrayal of the Sacred for personal gain

ncefafn

Gwyn ap Nudd has always struck me as a good king, the old man of the earth, solid and substantial, stern but loving. He is supposed to be the king of the Underworld, much like Hades, but he still seems kinder than any Greek god. This is the King of the Dead in his merciful guise, in my opinion.

BTW, is the 6th card or the 5th???

Kim

LilRed

ACK!!! I need to learn how to count!! Sorry was taking a break from programming when I posted, not a good idea. I edited it here...but the link (when you click on "Oracle") still says 6. I don't know if there is another way to fix this.
I am SOOOOO sorry.

Thanks ncefafn

LilRed

zorya

no problem! :) i fixed it.

ncefafn

I don't think it's a big deal, I was just worried that I'd missed one! :)

Kim

purple_scorp

Firstly, I have to say that I really like the borders of these cards, makes me feel as though I'm right there in amongst the holly and ivy.

Okay, this dude has a weird side-ways looking expression, I'm wondering if he is glancing to see where his next visitor is coming from. He sits alone, at the end of the forest, next to an old and barren tree. Draped in a rich tapestry cloak and holding onto a large, whacking stick - an owl perches comfortably on his right shoulder. I noticed how, at his feet, the luscious grass had been worn away. This patch suggests that he does indeed have a string of visitors, calling on his wisdom.

I wonder if the position of the wise owl, is an indication of the creative thought process (using the right-side of the brain) in the King's ability to impart wise and fair information/decisions.

And exactly what does he do with his large, whacking stick? Does he use it to whack those imbeciles that clutter his time with frivalous requests? Or, is it a wand with which he annoints special visitors (knights and the like). Or, is it simply a walking aid, to help him move through the thicket to his forest throne?

The King nestles up to the tree, until they look as one. Perhaps it is a way of sharing wisdom, for the old tree has seen much in its time.

Okay, I've just read from the book. It doesn't mention anything that I said. :( I did notice that hill/mound in the background and the path that leads to the chimney looking bit at the top. It would seem that this is where some of his subjects live, underground.

purple_scorp

WooMonkey

I'm still working on my reply for this card, but I just had to say that I think your free associations on the cards are WONDERFUL purple_scorp! I was grinning for a long time after reading the paragraph on Gwynn's "whacking stick"! :D

OK, I'm off now to read the text.
Woo! :)

purple_scorp

Thanks Woo!

I've never been one to follow convention. But, am a bit sad because I was totally off with description on this card. Jury is stil out as to whether I can use it. So far, I am 2.5 each way.

p_s

LilRed

THANK YOU ZORYA!!!! ~sends massive smiles your way~

The correct 6th card will be up on Friday, it is already almost ready for posting.