Fairy Ring Oracle - Bill Winker - 6th card

LilRed

Card: Billy Winker
Suit: Spring court, eight.

We see an older man walking past a window with a candle lit, looking out the window we can see the sun and it is bright yet Billy seems to be squinting. He is wearing a long white night shirt with a matching cap just above his pointed ears, and the bedroom is done in shades of blue.

The book says that he is grinning and he hails from Lancahire in Northern England. He is actually one of many fairies that bring sleep to children.

Divinatory meanings: recuperation, convalescence from an illness, or the end of some trouble that has been worrying you, rest relaxation, perhaps even a holiday.

Reversed: overindulgence that will take longer to cure then create.

Working with: Mentions they do not like seeing themselves in a mirror so if you are going to attract Willy mirrors need to be removed from the room. They mention that Fung Shui says a mirror should not face a bed and that perhaps the Fae know something we do not know. They mention using a few drops of lavender or chamomile oil on pillow or dried hop made into a small pillow placed on top of your own.

LilRed

Will any one be trying the lavendar on the pillow? I unfortunately can not try it. Let us know!

purple_scorp

Wee Willy Wink/y/er/ler
Runs through the town
upstairs, downstairs,
in his nightgown.....
Rapping at the windows,
prying through the locks,
are all the children in their bed's?
It's past something o'clock.

So, okay, my memory's a little rusty on that child's rhyme.

This crusty little elf reminds me of steptoe, from that show steptoe and son. So, he seems a little out of place standing inside a lavish room.

Why does he have a lit candle, when, outside, it's not even dark???

And why are his ears so big??? Is it to keep that silly hat on? He looks like the kind of elf that will rub his hands together in glee.....aha, he says....what little child can I put the willies up today??? Snigger, snigger.

And what is in that case that he's running away with? Is it silverware?

Alrighty, now I've had my fun with this card. I better summarise what I think it might be about. Is this card warning you of theft and trickery? Beware when you sleep because the elves will come and clean out your house.

I have no more clues. Going to read book now. Okay - the same nursery rhyme. Now I know those missing and incorrect lines. I didn't see this card as one of something that tries to enhance or bring on sleep - more about what that wretched man would do while you were sleeping. Still, I got the rhyme bit....so I'm collecting half a point for this card. That now takes my score to 3 for and 2.5 against.

purple_scorp

ncefafn

Wee Willie Winker . . .
Sittin' on a log . . .
K-I-S-S-I-N-G . . .

That's all I could manage on the nursery rhyme scale.

Is he really carrying a case, or is that just his hand superimposed on the back of a chair? Billy doesn't visit me very often these days, and thanks to this thread, maybe I know why. I have two mirrors facing my bed. No, it's not like that! One is an old dresser mirror I've never bothered putting up, and the other was fixed to the back of the closet door when I moved in.

I remembered enough of the Wee Willie Winkie legend to recognize this guy as the Sandman when I saw him. Therefore, I never saw him as threatening. Look, he's got that nice, big smile on his face. And the reason he's got the candle when it's still light outside is because it's summer, and good little boys and girls should be asleep by nine, at the very latest. He's bringing night with him!

purple_scorp said:
Still, I got the rhyme bit....so I'm collecting half a point for this card. That now takes my score to 3 for and 2.5 against.

purple_scorp

Be careful, purple_scorp, the fairies are keeping score too!

purple_scorp

ncefafn said:
Wee Willie Winker . . .
Sittin' on a log . . .
K-I-S-S-I-N-G . . .
Hmm, shouldn't he be sitting in a tree and not on a log? Otherwise, it doesn't rhyme.

ncefafn said:
Is he really carrying a case, or is that just his hand superimposed on the back of a chair?
Dunno, will need to get that magnifying glass out in good light and have another look.

ncefafn said:
Billy doesn't visit me very often these days, and thanks to this thread, maybe I know why. I have two mirrors facing my bed.
Ah, I have four mirrors in my room at the moment ;) and my shiny purple paper. LOL - it's not like that for me either. One is to go in my recently renovated bathroom (it's in my room for safe-keeping). One is a small mirror on top of my dresser. One is behind my writing desk (again for safe-keeping - this one will go in my daughter's room after a furniture reshuffle). And the last one is a full-length one so that I can check that my skirt is not tucked into my undies, before I walk out and face the world.

ncefafn said:
And the reason he's got the candle when it's still light outside is because it's summer, and good little boys and girls should be asleep by nine, at the very latest. He's bringing night with him!
Right, I never considered he actually brought night with him. Do you think I should show my children that card to frigthen them to go to bed? It is very hard to get them into bed when it is light outside. "But mummy, it's not night-time yet....why should I go to bed?"

ncefafn said:
Be careful, purple_scorp, the fairies are keeping score too!
Oh no....do I have to earn a right to read with this deck? I was just thinking from my viewpoint only. Should I be afraid? Should I be VERY afraid???

purple_scorp

ncefafn

Only of Wednesday Addams, purple_scorp. :D

Kim