The Origin of the World : a theory of creation in the Tarot de Marseille

Sophie

The thread on the phallus across the Papess’s chest, which also referred to the vulva-shaped plant between the Bateleur’s legs, gave me some food for thought. The discussion reminded me of a famous painting that hangs in the Musée d’Orsay in Paris.

In 1866, Gustave Courbet painted an explicit close-up nude showing the open legs of a woman and what used to be called her pudendum. He called it L’Origine du Monde – here is a link (warning, it is explicit): http://www.artchive.com/artchive/C/courbet/origin.jpg.html

It is a realistic canvas, not in the least an idealisation of woman, and to my eyes, very powerful and beautiful, all the more because of its title, which is an intrinsic part of the painting and our response to it.

I started to think about our sexual characteristics and how they relate to the notion of origin. It’s a cliché – but a useful one – to say that the Tarot is a mirror. If so, it must also be a mirror for how we originated and in turn create. And origin always brings us back to the beginning. I think the first three Major Arcana of the Tarot give us the key to the “origin of the world” – quite literally in images of sexual characteristics, which are also echoed in all the threes in the Minor Arcana – 3 being the number in which male and female unite, therefore where “origin” truly occurs.

Let me go through this a step at a time:

I – Le Bateleur: he is the point of departure, the spark. A juggler, a trickster, a pea-under-the cup magician, a journeyman, a young man of spirit and energy. Between his legs, a small plant shaped like a vulva – a vesica piscis.

Next comes II –La Papesse: she is a woman who looks easy with herself, ceremonially dressed. Traditionally represents knowledge and gestation – she could be Hildergarde of Bingen, Mary Magdalen, Mother Church, Mother Goddess. Mother and grandmother. Across her breasts, hidden as though part of her cape, a large penis, almost a joke penis or a dildo.

This shows the first two Arcana that carry the most potent symbols of humanity, sexuality and reproduction, but switched round – La Papesse brought closer to masculinity, and Le Bateleur given a small vulva as a reminder of his own origin.

Those two together bring us to III-L’Imperatrice. This card is not only the next in sequence, it is also the sum of the first two. Man and woman. What we have here is a most active and creative woman, her legs wide open, between which we can easily guess a vagina. When the starting point and the gestator unite, we reach the moment of union, of origin – the quantum leap which creates the world. L’Imperatrice therefore is not a pure female archetype –rather she represents the culmination of male and female (male as he relates back to the vagina from which he sprang). She is the moment of all possibilities of creation, the fertilised origin.

Her possibilities are explored throughout the Minor Arcana threes, in evolving order:

- III de Bâtons: three staffs – firm, ardent, penetrating, active. Two and One in full action. Pure instinct of origin, indistinct, unshaped. Fruit is hinted at in the lateral leaves. This is the creative moment before matter and spirit, before thought and feeling.

- III d’Epées: three swords, two curved, one straight between the two, in the perfect shape of a vesica piscis, a vulva, with more than a suggestion of penetration by a bright red sword – penis. This is the Origin of the World imagined by Courbet – the moment when thought creates, when consciousness originates and expands. All origin follows from here, but does not yet exist – no feeling, no matter, no spirit.

- III de Coupes: three cups arranged in a form of triangle, two below, one at the peak. No more vesica piscis, but two long buds shaped a little like phalluses, and two hearts – a smaller, a larger, as though expanded in a mirror: sexual, undifferentiated origin, touched by consciousness, transforms into emotion. Above the hearts, two pomegranates embrace the top cup (for a great discussion of pomegranates on this forum, and a link to an article about pomegranates – see: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=37962&page=3) - pomegranates being another attribute of origin, regeneration and sexuality, more symbolic than representative. The hearts are a curved version of a vulva, an emotional expansion of a vagina penetrated by the cup - Creation is Origin fertilised and transformed by Love.

- III de Deniers. Here at last we have the birth of matter and spirit. A baby’s head has dilated the vagina and is peaking through red heart-shaped vines – love and pain mingled. From instinct, to thought, to emotion, creation becomes actual matter and spirit. For the birth of a baby is also the birth of its spirit, evoked by the small, still immature sky-blue leaves on the vines.

So here we have the journey of Origin, which is the journey to the birth of matter and spirit – this is the Empress’ great secret, her power.

From the birth of matter, matter must grow and stabilise, take its place in the world - the great meeting of III-L’Imperatrice and IIII-L’Empereur. 1+2+3+4 = 10 – the number of the tetraktys, the perfect number of the Pythagoreans, which explained the whole of the universe, and a blueprint for creation.

We have one more path to follow, one more road for Origin: where, do one, and two and three meet?

VI-L’Amoureux, of course ;)

But that's another story...

Keslynn

Wow, Helvetica. Just wow. What an amazing theory, and your progression makes a lot of sense. Still, I'm going to need some time to meditate on the cards and process everything.

:) Kes

Nina*

Simply excellent, Helvetica; I loved every part of it :)

xxx
Nina

Skydancer

Great food (nourishment to sustain life) for thought - thank you.
I don't have this deck. It's looking like I should.

S:OS

Rosanne

Seminal Thinking!

Thank you Helvetica, for your clear and 'able to be followed' post.I found it illuminating. Since the thread about the phallic symbol on the La Papesse I have been looking at what is available to me. The Grimaud Le Bateleur the vesica piscis looks like a tiny cedar tree, but I note the shape as odd to other plants. On the black and white version on the Computer- it looks more like a vulva. But I received a gift of Claude Burdel Marseilles -the odd plant looks like a rent in the white fabric behind the Bateleur. That really got me thinking. So now I have some cards I will visulise on these four cards and see what the outcome for me is.
I do not need to preach to the converted- but these cards are fascinating. I feel a start of renewal in my Tarot life. ~Rosanne

Parzival

The Origin of the World : A theory of Creation

An impressive meditation, Helvetica. It rings true, by way of the specific visuals and their combination with the Pythagorean numbers. Spirit at the start, I, the whole spinning world at the finish, I0 . The contrast of Magician and Wheel of Fortune is striking. Spark of First Will, on to the whole World within time, the Dot and the Circle. And the steps of Creation between.

Rusty Neon

Helvetica said:
Let me go through this a step at a time:

I – Le Bateleur: he is the point of departure, the spark. A juggler, a trickster, a pea-under-the cup magician, a journeyman, a young man of spirit and energy. Between his legs, a small plant shaped like a vulva – a vesica piscis.

Depending on one's view (but of course a débat thereon would be the subject of another thread), the departure point may also be seen as the Fool card (rather than the Magician card). The phallic symbolism in the Fool card is very apparent in Noblet (circa 1650) deck's version of the card:

http://letarot.com/pages/jean-noblet/pages/pages-images/le-fov.html

firemaiden

Wow, fascinating Helvetica, thanks!

Grigori

Bless you Helvetica, that was very interesting, and I can now look at La Papesse without being perplexed :D

I have been wondering about the creators of the TdM today based on these first few cards. My previous Golden Dawn experience of the Empress and the High Priestess has been depictions of women from a very male perspective, i.e. the virgin and the mother/lover. Which makes sense in a tradition established primarily by men (at least from a divination if not artistic perspective)

The TdM seems so very different. The women are much more complex and powerful. In someways it seems more like a deck that would have been created by a strong (dare I say modern) woman. The reminder to the magician of his origin is especially interesting to me in that perspective.

kwaw

Some very perceptive insights for us to meditate upon.
Thanks Helvetica

Kwaw