Fairy Ring Oracle - Brownie - 8th Card

LilRed

Card: Brownie
Court:

It is late at night and there is a small woman wearing earthy colors and an apron with pointed ears sweeping near the hearth. The entire area is dark except for the fire in the hearth and the area above the stove where you can see the copper pans glistening. The look on her face is one of contentment, as though everything is right in the world as she sweeps in front of the hearth near more copper pots.

Besom is Gaelic for broom like the one shown.

Brownies are solitary fairies and they are found actually found predominately Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England. The book says only south Scotland but I checked with my husband (who's family is from North Scotland) and he knows them very well though we both very strongly disagree with the book's description of what they look like.
Brownies are well known for taking care of chores during the night while the family sleeps but this is not likely to happen if the hearth was left dirty. They know when the cock crows that it is time to slip away, they do not like to be verbally thanked, just a bowl of cream or fresh milk.
They can be mischevious but 99% of the time it is perfectly harmless unless they are ofended.

Divination: Pleasure and fulfillment will come from home and family, they are your security, important bedrock on which you build the rest of your life and your refuge. Ther emay be family parties and celebrations coming up, perhaps a reunion.

Reversed: Will be recognized and admired by those outside of your home and family, efforts and talens will be rewarded.

Working with a Brownie: This is a very old tradition which helps to keep good things going on in the house.

sorry for it being so late, it didn't take the first time.

ncefafn

The ultimate housewife, no Martha Stewart she, but rather a real working mom. She sweeps the hearth, keeps the copper scrubbed and polished sparkling bright, and asks no thanks but to be allowed to stay with the family. Her clothes are simple but comfortable, warm yet not constricting. She has a sturdy body and strong arms, capable of keeping the household clean, the family well-fed and warm and healthy.

Having worked with this deck a while, I know that the Brownie is loyal to the family as long as the family is loyal to her. After an extended period of working with this deck, after being kindly told by them to lay off for a while, I left a snifter of Jameson's on my mantle for the Brownie to drink after she'd finished her night's work.

Kim

purple_scorp

I'm finally here!!!

The blessed little woman who cooks a warming broth and continually sweeps the hearth clean. She wants for nothing and is content with the simple things in life. But, I see a look of discontent, or is it disbelief, on her face? Is she cussing that hubby of hers that is still drinking down at the pub? I can see an elf's face on the brick wall, just right of that copper bowl that's hanging. Hmm, can't wait to check the book now to see if it's supposed to be there.

In summary, a happy, contented - simple woman cares for her home.

I didn't get much from that....okies...now for the book:

Okay, it's about family gatherings and happiness. I'll take a point for that - thanks fairies!

purple_scorp