Tarot and Rune Correspondence

caridwen

WhiteRaven i started a new thread on this one.

I looked at the Tarot Rune webpage and really can't see it. They're so different from each other. I have such a different experience when reading runes than I do with Tarot.
http://www.bewitchingways.com/tarot/rune.htm

Runes just have such different energy to Tarot. They are much more blunt (I find) yet very complex.

To work with runes you must have some understanding of the mythology surrounding them, the people who used them and their culture. This isn't necessary for Tarot or, at least not to such an extent.

Odin, the Norse High God of the Aesir, hung from the world tree, Yggdrasil, impaled on his own spear, for nine days and nights in order to gain the knowledge of runes. When the runes appeared below him, he reached down and took them up, and the runic knowledge gave him power. He later passed on this knowledge to the Vanir goddess Freya. She, in turn, taught him the magic of seidr. Heimdall, the god who guarded the Rainbow Bridge, taught the runes to mankind.

No such mythology exists around Tarot - at least to my knowledge.

To get an idea of how different they are there is a very good essay here:
http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/aettir.html

It's personal though. Some may enjoy finding a relation and others may not. Just glancing at the correspondence they seem very forced. For example, I wouldn't associate Othila with The Hierophant at all. What does the Hierophant have to do with ancestry and inherited possessions?

Runester

nor would I associate Leo with Wunjo which associates with strength..i always felt Dagaz as i believe thorsson states in one of his books.

Fulgour

Finding the connection between Tarot and Runes
is a lot of fun, and everybody does it differently.
You learn new things about each ~ and yourself.

Start with just one for sure that you see clearly,
and go from there. They'll start to line up quickly.

WhiteRaven

Like I said....I just happened to stumble upon it and thought about my question to you a few weeks ago....I found it and thought you would be interested in it.

I do know the story about Odin and the runes.....I have my own set and have studied them....perhaps not as much as you have.....but I have.

I was just curious about associations because we can associate Tarot to Astrology and Numerology...and I found it odd that we can not do so with the Runes.......just and observation that posed a question in my head.

I did not post that url to cause any controversy.....I hope this is not taken as such.

Blessings,

J.

caridwen

WhiteRaven said:
Like I said....I just happened to stumble upon it and thought about my question to you a few weeks ago....I found it and thought you would be interested in it.

I do know the story about Odin and the runes.....I have my own set and have studied them....perhaps not as much as you have.....but I have.

I was just curious about associations because we can associate Tarot to Astrology and Numerology...and I found it odd that we can not do so with the Runes.......just and observation that posed a question in my head.

I did not post that url to cause any controversy.....I hope this is not taken as such.

Blessings,

J.

I'm not runemistress by any means and didn't mean to patronise you. My apologies if I offended you, it wasn't intentional.

Yes, of course one can find a link with numerology/astrology/Tarot even the Tea leaves. It's very personal but the more I and I only mean ME no one else, work with them I see them as very different.

Thanks for posting the link - I did find it interesting, if puzzling to see the associations.:)

calligirl

Just wanted to insert my opinion here about tarot/astrology/runes/numerology and how they relate to each other. I don't actually try to do that because it confuses me too much. To me, they are different tools for me to use.

My husband has a socket set that has different measurements in it, some metric, some not and I don't even want to know how he pulls the right one out when he needs it. Likewise, with the topics mentioned above. For me, numerology tells me how a person acts or responds. My friend calls me to tell me she's dating someone new and I tell her what he's like to a T (she thinks I'm a witch or a spy.) Astrology tells me the kind of person he/she is and what issues they may have in their life, hidden from their social side.

On the other hand, I find the runes to be blunt and to the point and give me an answer to my question, no hesitation and no pulling punches. Don't want to know, don't ask and there have been a couple of times I was sorry I asked! To me, the runes are softened by neighboring runes, they are in your face whether you like it or not. And the answer doesn't matter what day you were born or if your planets are aligned, if you pulled hagalaz (means hail, natural disaster, according to my studies) then consider yourself warned!

I have found that now, as I am learning tarot, I am learning to see the influences and circumstances that surround the questioner. Whether this tallys with their astrological sign I haven't really considered. I have noticed that the way they RECEIVE the reading matches the astrological sign. My Virgo SIL will not tell me the question, just yes or no if she thinks it's right. My Aries MIL gets all fired up and can't wait to have a reading anytime, encourages me to do it for everybody. And my Gemini husband is very interested...half the time! The other half, he can't be bothered to shuffle for me! But he's always curious to ask about it later.

Didn't mean to get carried away. I just wanted to make the point that different things work for different people and rather than trying to stretch something to fit, perhaps they can be used in tandom.

WhiteRaven

caridwen said:
I'm not runemistress by any means and didn't mean to patronise you. My apologies if I offended you, it wasn't intentional.

Not at all.....no apologies necessary.....didn't feel patronised at all....it's the lack of expression and body language that the online life lacks that causes half the misunderstandings that go on.

Now if we could work "voice" into our posts.....hehehehe
;)