Book on Thelema/Magick...???

Grigori

Hi All,

I've been reading various books on the Thoth deck, and a biography of Crowley. I seem to have lots of reasons why Crowley's brand of magick/theology is different than the last aeon, but no real understanding of the philosophy of Thelema, or why this is relevent to the deck.

Can anyone recommend a book on Thelema/Ceremmonial Magick that would also offer insights into the Thoth deck?

I thought perhaps DuQuette's "Magick of Aleister Crowley" or "My Life with the Spirits"... Are they a good read?

fyreflye

DuQuette is always a good read but not necessarily a profound one. But for what you're looking for http://tinyurl.com/3lyou is good enough.

Hermgirl

I'm gonna send you here: http://www.lonmilo.com/_books.html

And direct your attention to: Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot (which is quite comprehensive, talks about Thelema as it relates to the deck, etc.)

And The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford (also a very good book to have when approaching the Thoth deck.)

I'd say now would be a good time to move on this, because it looks like he's having a sale!

Grigori

Thanks so much guys! :)

I have read DuQuettes books on the Thoth deck and Qabbalah (and paid full price for them :mad: LOL) Also the Book of Thoth. I guess I want a bit deeper appreciation of why his changes are important, without going to the extreme of studying magick texts.

I think the book fyreflye recommended will be a good place to go. A little bit deeper, but is hopefully still an enjoyable Duquette style read.

Has any one read Crowley's "Confessions"? I thought it might be useful also.

fyreflye

The only books you need to understand Crowley's Thoth Tarot are The Book of Thoth, 777 and The Book of the Law. Everything else is Crowley's tireless self-promotion (or more accurately false-self promotion) or someone else's attempt to build a career piggy-backed on Crowley's notoriety. If you've read The Book of Thoth you're already ahead of most of the folks who post here about Crowley. These books need to be not just read but studied.
If you believe that Crowley really was the Prophet of the New Aeon appointed by the Secret Chiefs in 1904 then you'll want to read everything. But believing that is about the dumbest thing you could do. Crowley was a brilliant fraud who, working with an exceptionally talented artist, produced the greatest tarot deck of the 20th century. The deck is worth studying, understanding, and working with. But the less seriously you regard Crowley's personal myth the better for your sanity ;)

Grigori

Fyreflye! *giggle* that was a very clear answer. :D

I will take your advice and spend some more time with the Book of Thoth, and see what the online versions of Crowleys other books can offer me.

I needed several other books to help me understand the book of Thoth (eg qabalah, astrology etc..) because that was also all new to me. Perhaps some basic reading of something on magick will help me also now. I'm not looking to take Crowley on as a personal prophet, but I felt I was missing something important about the deck, by not better understanding the man and his other work (and I read a biography that only confused me further! :()