Can anybody recognize this book?

Deana

It's fiction, but Tarot-related. I bought a cheap paperback in a used bookstore three years ago when I was moving and all my books were packed up. It got lost in the move and I never got a chance to finish it, and since I don't remember the author or the title, chances are I'll never find it again. So it's a longshot if anyone here knows the book.

Here's what I remember: there was a woman who lived in a dusty old house full of books (the author spent a lot of time describing the house, the dust, the books and the fact that the family had lived there a long time). A friend of hers from her childhood came over and they pulled out magical notebooks they had kept as teenagers and a deck of cards with pictures on them (it didn't use the word Tarot, but I assumed the author was referring to Tarot). They dealt the cards, which turned out to be portals into some other realm and they ended up inside that realm. And that's where I was when I lost the book.

Anyone? Does this ring any bells with fiction readers? I usually read nonfiction, but I was enjoying this book.

Lillie

Hi

I have no idea what the book is, sorry.

However, if you go to abe you could post what you remember of it in the book slueth list.
Lots of people get books identified here, and if you saw a book that you recognised you could identify it for someone else!

Anyhow, if you don't knowabout abe already it's;

www.abebooks.co.uk
www.abebooks.com

and I am sure there will be others for other countries.

If you do find out what it is do let me know, it sounds interesting.

Good luck

HudsonGray

You MIGHT find it on Nina's list of Tarot in Literature -- http://www.geocities.com/~ninalee/tarot/tarlit.htm If none of the book titles ring a bell, try emailing her with the plot synopsys and the date you remember (the book would be published prior to that, which is a clue).

Scion

Not positive, but it almost sounds like one of the later books in Roger Zelazny's Amber series... now collected as The Great Book of Amber which you can get used for relatively cheap. Your description rings a bell, but it's been so long since I read them...

Even if your book is not related, you might want to check these out. Amber is a fantasy series about skullduggery and politics in an otherworldly family that travels using a mysterious deck of cards.

Hope that's useful to you

Scion