Tarot DeckFinder by Shelley Raye (M. Raye Martin)

Cerulean

http://home.earthlink.net/~deckfinder/index.html

M. Raye Martin or Shelley Raye has a very good tool in the works. I saw a preview and it's fantastic...

She estimates about 100 decks a year are published and plans to update her self-published directory every few years...

Regards,

Cerulean

SilverWing

Thanks for the link. Looks like a good book.

Strange2

This looks like it will be a great reference resource! I am looking forward to its publication.

jmd

This is a potentially highly interesting listing.

I will, however, have to await to see the final result, as the rating seems to suggest that, for example, the Camoin-Jorodowsky and the Hadar Marseilles decks would be ranked as 'flat' (equiv. to zero stars) as decks that 'borrow concept are deemed FLAT'.

For those of us who prefer to work with what some may describe as 'established tradition', these two are amongst the most exciting decks to have appeared in the last twenty years.

cybercat

Flat

Well, considering she has a Blake deck I am thinking most will be flat. Most decks are copy/variations on the three main ones RWS, Thoth and Marseills. Her Blake deck is real different and based on the muses. There are a few decks out there that have no relation to the main three. One could say they are not even tarot but I will not go there.

Cat

Emeraldgirl

Great idea but what a massive undertaking trying to keep up with all the new decks and the ones that are going out of print. It may need to be printed a bit more often than every few years.

deckfinder

Tarot DeckFinder by Raye Martin

Hello all,

First let me thank Cerulean for starting the topic regarding the DeckFinder and promoting discussion.

And to the others, thanks for showing an interest. Your comments have helped me to clarify my web page. I've modified my explanation of the rating of FLAT to the below:

--------------
FLAT: Decks which borrow and misconstrue concept are deemed FLAT. Clone decks are not generally rated as FLAT as long as the original concept is acknowledged and preserved.
--------------

Thanks for visiting the web site!
M. Raye Martin
The Tarot DeckFinder 2005

P.S. The Hadar is rated as a harmony (3 notes). I now display one of the lovely Hadar cards on the site!