confessions of a rune apprentice

zorya

i promised myself, that i would NOT try to read my runes, until i learned the meaning of each and every one. "I'm going to bond with them, i'm going to carry them with me at all times, and above all, i'm going to learn them the right way! nope, no cyber LWB's for me!!!! so.....i've bonded, and bonded....but yesterday, i could wait no more, i mean hey! what could it hurt? "i'll just draw one wee little rune, besides, it could be one we've already studied," so, i draw one and.....uh oh!....a new one! "well, i could just do a google....WOW thousands of sites!" so i go down the list. negative disjointed meaning after negative single word!!!!! this is depressing! where's the whole picture?
anyway.....big mistake!
lesson learned!
so, now i have a question for you rune masters,
no, i don't want you to try to hurry things up with the rune study group, and rush through them. you are doing a terrific, in depth job!!! keep it up!!! i was just wondering, if maybe you could recommend a good web site. just in case i get the urge again....
even odin only had to hang waiting for 9 days!
thanks!!!

Kaz

zorya,
i have to confess as well.....
like the new deck spread with a tarot deck, i did it with the runes, and i got all runes that were not covered here (gebo, eihwaz, mannaz)
so i googled, and after some long searching i found a place that told the story, like what does an "uruz" mean, what did it stand for in that time, stuff like that.
this gave me a feel of what the runes are about, i think that is what you are looking for as well, instead of the lbw keyword stuff. i have been going through my cache history here, but i emptied it and i can't find the url for you, so sorry.....

i love those runes :)

kaz

Eponaz

Zoyra - Rune website.

Hi there Zoyra!.
I liked your post.....your itching to get into the runes!, I am the same, want to know everything *now*, however, I have found that you cannot rush the runes, and indeed I believe it's better to go slow so you absorb more that way.
Anyhow, a practice I've gotten into recently, is to draw one rune a day, and meditate on it throughout my day; does it relate to my day, if so - how? etc.....
This way you bring deeper meaning to your day, and concurrently are learning each rune more deeply.

About recommending a website, I just came across this one today, and though I've not had time to view it all throughly (coz there's a lot of content ;), it appears to be very good in my opinion.
Here's the URL: http://www.arild-hauge.com/arild-hauge/eindex.htm (BTW - this site is in Norweigen I think, but there is a british flag, upper right, that you press for the english translation).

See what you make of it, and/or anyone else.
Perhaps we could share our thoughts about this, or other sites of interest on the runes?.

Sorry I've not gotten round to fully participating in this wonderful group, though I am busying myself reading through what has already been discussed, and hope to post my thoughts soon.
I'm learning so much from you all, and our learned Elders!.

Epona :)

zorya

kaz and eponaz, i feel much less alone, thank you! :)

since my last post, i've thrown cold water on my face, and have come to my senses, lol!
i don't know what i was thinking :). i'm sure not ready to read for anyone else. i'm not so sure that i'm ready for anymore of their brutally honest clarity for myself! i'm still learning and coming to terms with a reading that was done for me a couple of weeks ago!
the runes are not toys, they have great power. i think i'd better know what i'm doing before i unleash any more.

patiently learning,
zorya

Kaz

lol zorya, yes i agree with you, they give quite a different perspective on things than tarot cards.
i like em ;-)

kaz

Umbrae

A reminder and an update

I’d like to repeat something here from an earlier post.

In today's sped up world of instant gratification, most folks want wish fulfillment now, and make that without any effort. "I wanna lose weight, just gimmie a pill."

Oracular devices play into this need for the folks I call "gimme-gimme's". Runes will be a sorry disappointment for these folks. Runes are not a Oiji board.

Most folks out there now see the spiritual side of their lives as only needing attention for an hour or two a week, in their local church or whatever. Most pagans are paganistic only when it is convenient. Many talk the talk, but cannot walk the walk.

People spend more time planning their vacation, then they spend planning on their own spritual development.

It is time to walk the walk and let your actions do the talking.

It has been said that Odhinn hung on the tree for nine days and nine night to gain the runes; which he then gave to mortal man as a means of communication with the Gods.

Let us not cheapen the gift.

As a newbie, you should be developing a "split consciousness" or split/divided focus. To develop a state of mind where small portion of your mind is always focused and open to the voice of the Gods, and your spiritual side. Where even if a client is screaming at you, you don't have to think "Ooops, I forgot to think about..." Without aid, it is a state impossible for most folks.

However it is possible, and the stones can be your tool, AND, it is, and should be part of the Bonding Process.

We are used to wearing jewelry. A ring "disappears" after a few hours. A pendant/talisman is admired in the mirror, and then forgotten.

I would like to tell you what worked for me. It has worked for many others. It will work for you.

The point is to have it be a constant reminder. Like a stone in your shoe. Make a sturdy cloth bag for your stones. Carry them where they are always reminding you that they are “there”. Like a blazer pocket. You want a part of your mind always focused on the bag.

It will be large enough where you will always aware of it, but it is not in your way. After time, focus is trained to be divided. You become of two minds. One portion is working with the mundane world, and the other is ALWAYS pushing the darkness back. Your Rune Stones in a nice corduroy drawstring bag will do just fine, and allow you to bond with each other. You learn to split focus and become more spiritual, and your stones bond with the spiritual aspect of your consciousness and not the mundane. (This is huge).

Having split mind/focus also creates a natural shield.

Begin cultivating the spiritual side of your life now. it is not difficult.

Also, some authors go into great lengths to explain the rituals necessary before a reading is given. It is my opinion, that rituals serve to “get your mind right”, to “be here now”. Like a pianist sitting down before a keyboard does not just rip into a piece. They sit, get their mind right, and then produce music.

What ever you find necessary to do, to get your mind in the correct space before a reading, you should do. This is not a parlor game.

zorya

thank you umbrae