Solitaire Spread

Gwynne

I was sitting at a doctors office bored out of my mind the other day playing solitaire with my Whimsical Tarot. I often play solitaire with my cards, and it's actually gotten me a few clients as they became intrigued by the cards. I won't go into my complicated rules for dealing with Majors, but as I was playing the other day I thought "Wouldn't this make an interesting spread?"

So after a couple of days I've managed to pair a gypsy-style spread that I found in one of my many books (can't remember which one right off hand, I'll find it buried in a pile later...) with the standard method of laying out cards for a round of solitaire.

For those of you who don't know how to lay out the cards, I'll try to give a clear explanation, but you can always look at the way the cards are laid out in Windows Solitaire!

Basically you lay the first card face up, then lay six cards in a row face down, so that you've got seven piles. Go to the first face down pile, lay one card face up, and then lay a card face down on the next five piles. Repeat this until you've got a face up card on each of the seven piles. You'll have 28 cards. It will look somewhat like this. (x) means a face down card.

G-----F-----E------D-----C------B------A
1----(2)----(3)----(4)----(5)----(6)----(7)
------8-----(9)---(10)---(11)---(12)---(13)
------------14----(15)---(16)---(17)---(18)
-------------------19----(20)---(21)---(22)
---------------------------23---(24)---(25)
---------------------------------26----(27)

Ok, does that make sense? Hope so! LOL

Face up cards indicate the obvious things about the situation, face down cards indicate hidden influences.

The columns are read right to left and bottom up.

A Your emotional state of mind (7 cards)
B Your home life (6 cards)
C Your present desires, hopes and questions (5 cards)
D Your expectations of the situation (4 cards)
E What you do not expect, what surprises you (3 cards)
F Your immediate future (2 cards)
G The outcome and long-term prospects (1 card)

I did this one for myself today to see how well it works, and let's just say it nailed me!

Let me know if you use it and feel free to post your results and examples of your readings with it!

Ilithiya

Doing this right now - I'm just starting to interpret the cards, and let me tell you, it's more than a little upsetting yet relieving to see the Ten of Swords show up on the top of the Immediate Future pile... "At least it won't get any worse from here."

It seems pretty thorough, too. Lots of stuff to process here. Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, since in my fondness for large spreads I've run across a lot of duds, but you've got an excellent spread here! I'm sooooo saving this one.

What you mentioned about Majors: Was that in reference to your solitaire games or the spread? :) Oh, and have you ever considered if the bottom-of-the-pile cards could link the ones at the top of their column as well as the ones at the end of the row? (E/14 links E and A/18 for instance)

Whew. Lots of tarot goodness here! Thanks for sharing!

Gwynne

Ilithiya said:
Doing this right now - I'm just starting to interpret the cards, and let me tell you, it's more than a little upsetting yet relieving to see the Ten of Swords show up on the top of the Immediate Future pile... "At least it won't get any worse from here."

It seems pretty thorough, too. Lots of stuff to process here. Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, since in my fondness for large spreads I've run across a lot of duds, but you've got an excellent spread here! I'm sooooo saving this one.

What you mentioned about Majors: Was that in reference to your solitaire games or the spread? :) Oh, and have you ever considered if the bottom-of-the-pile cards could link the ones at the top of their column as well as the ones at the end of the row? (E/14 links E and A/18 for instance)

Whew. Lots of tarot goodness here! Thanks for sharing!

What I said about Majors was in reference to how I play the game LOL It's a complicated set of rules that I have a hard time explaining to myself, let alone to anyone else....

As for the spread... I LOVE large spreads. They go so deep, and leave LOTS of room for exploration.

I'm just starting to explore the possibilities for this spread, so anything that anyone else notices is wonderful!

Now, about that Ten of Swords.... What's the card under it? LOL Remember, the top card is the obvious! The way it appears at first site!

BodhiSeed

Solitaire!!

Oh I love solitaire!! It brings back fond memories of playing this with my grandmother. Can't wait to try this one!
Many thanks and blessings,
Bodhran

Vadella

I tried this a couple days ago and it freaked me out. lol I had gotten the tower card as one of the immediate future cards. I started stressing over what it could possibly mean so I looked at the cards surrounding it. Usually I accept change but not after I had just forked out $5000 in one month to fix 2 cars.

Tabby

Different but worthwhile Spread

I'm going have to try this spread when I got a lot of time to mess with it. It has definitely peaked my interest though. I'm most definitely gonna have to try it and put it in my journal.

Shelii

I cant wait to try this! I love how much it covers. And if i have any questions about what the spread shows me then i can go more in depth with using another spread. Good job i would have never thought of something like this!

WingspreadPhoenix

Excuse me, but the specific term is "Klondike"... ;]

I love this game, I'm going to try this spread out later--looks like real fun! Thanks a lot for sharing this :>

Just one question, though: how would you go about flipping the cards up? Did you have a certain pattern in mind?